I have the rulebook in my hands...

I think the topic is self-explanatory.

Here is what I'm seeing.

The Very High Skill Rule isn't for Combat. Now I haven't found this said implicitly, but technically, Combat is not a standard Opposed action.

It states in the descriptions of both the Dodge & Parry Reactions, that if the Attacker Hits, and the Defender has/decides to use either of these reactions BOTH Attacker & Defender roll & compare there results on the Chart Hyrum told us about originally. Also, the example of combat supports this. I won't say that it couldn't have been presented more concretely, and probably would help players new to roleplaying, but its there.

Also, there is a system when you are "unskilled", since all the basic skills are based on attributes they "default" to the attribute(s). And if you don't have an advanced skill, you either can't do it or default to a relevent basic skill -20%.

The book & screen look great, IMHO. Better than I expected. Oh, btw, on a blog mentioned on RPG.net, reviewed the game & said didn't rules for dying hadn't been found (on a quick scan), they are indeed in there.

Now to finish planning my campaign...

Doc

Dr. Halflight said:
The Very High Skill Rule isn't for Combat. Now I haven't found this said implicitly, but technically, Combat is not a standard Opposed action.
Do they give an example of what happens when two 100% combatants face off?

Urox said:
Dr. Halflight said:
Do they give an example of what happens when two 100% combatants face off?

They don't, that I've read (only had it about an hour & I'm at work...I'm a buyer for a chain of game stores....no really this is research).

But an Attack isn't Opposed in the same way a Non-Combat Skill is. If the Defender choosed to react, then both Attack & Defender roll & use the Dodge or Parry Chart. So, it looks as if Attackers & Defenders higher chances to critical & lower changes to fail (i know by 500% in a skill your failure chance is reduced from 96-100, to just 100).

Doc

Dr. Halflight said:
(i know by 500% in a skill your failure chance is reduced from 96-100, to just 100).
Well, that answers the question in another thread about how high they expect skills to go.

What it doesn't particularly answer is why the change to the 2nd set of opposed rolls for parry.

As was mentioned in another thread, the change was to reduce the high level skill attack then parry cycle -- although I think it gives the Attacker a slight advantage, now that there are two chances to critical (in the attack roll for max damage, and then in the parry roll for reduced damage reduction).

I picked up a copy myself a few minutes ago.

The interior black & white art is really good in my opinion. Have to take a minute to read through the book and post thoughts.

Pretty damn excited right now. Runequest is back!

Dr. Halflight said:
I'm a buyer for a chain of game stores....no really this is research).

Doc

Well, you gunna stock it or do I have to send the Broos round?

Broos/boys, it's a play on words. Good eh? :roll:

homerjsinnott said:
Dr. Halflight said:
I'm a buyer for a chain of game stores....no really this is research).

Doc

Hey everybody! homerjsinott is buying a round of Broos! :lol:

homerjsinnott said:

5 sold, 2 on the shelf at each location. Out of the GM Screen's tough :cry:

Please call the Broos off.

Doc

Back