how long will this version last? (runequest 2)

p1fx

Mongoose
just wondering how long the new version will last before they do another new edition, quite annoyed as ive invested a lot into the previous edition and conan (plus other moneygoose books) to end up with yet more redundant games. dont think ill be bothering with the new edition as i dont have the cash or space to constantly keep buying more. ill use chaosiums games instead.

so i have books i can sell if anyone wants them

p1fx said:
just wondering how long the new version will last before they do another new edition, quite annoyed as ive invested a lot into the previous edition and conan (plus other moneygoose books) to end up with yet more redundant games. dont think ill be bothering with the new edition as i dont have the cash or space to constantly keep buying more. ill use chaosiums games instead.

so i have books i can sell if anyone wants them

Will you feel the same way about Chaosium when they inevitably release a new edition of Call of Cthulhu?

you obviously dont know the cthulhu system do you? it has constantly had new editions yet purposefully have kept changes minimal as to allow every version to be compatible. i have versions from 2 edtion through to the new edition and these are all useable including all the sourcebooks so you may want to do some research before saying that! im currently writting a sourcebook for cthulhu and a setting for brp. perhaps you should look at chaosiums site and learn a bit about the game and system.

and as for 10 years?? well thats bit too late for me and others who saw the first edition last under 4 years! dont be offended when we take the 10 year claim with a pinch of salt! after all ive seen so many mongoose lines get scrapped or system changed and have a vast pile of redundant games to prove it.when u consider how long cthulhu or rifts, or even castles n crusades have lasted without major changes allowing a true following and community to form around them. there wasnt any warning of a new edition, pocket runequest and other source books only appeared last year, which makes me think that the potential income from new editions was the main reason behind the change especially as this would allow for a total rerelease of the other rq games like hawkmoon which had pretty much began to run out of publishable material. im running 2 rpg clubs and i have to say after the death of yet another mongoose game i dont think we will be running another or investing in another for the concivable future having been through this too many times before.

Wait wait wait....you're using Chaosium ...and PALLADIUM as examples of RPG community done right because their systems haven't changed in years.......

That's a new one on me. :?

I think most people, who have been on here praising the wonderful changes made to RQII from MRQ would have to completely disagree with you.

palladium and chaosium both have large and strong communities, what is wrong with them minimising their systems changes over editions to allow compatability? would you really rather having to buy a new system every couple of years? and not being able to use older material? if so you have more money than sense. if i pick out a 1980's games workshop cthulhu supplement i can still use it without changing anything with the current edition of the rules, whats wrong with that? not alot in my eyes. and are you going to tell me that cthulhu is a less popular game because of this? pfft.

None of my older editions of games have quit working when new ones were released.

I am all for more and different things always coming out, especially when older editions have kind of "come out with all their potential."

Even if I don't like the new, I still have my old. Besides in the case of RQII all the old stuff is still compatible....just like CoC stuff is all still BRP compatible.

and of course the people who are praising the changes are going to disagree with anyone who dosnt like the change ,duh think a little eh pal, what you dont take into account is the people who dont want to have to purchase a whole new set of stuff and so have walked away from the game,

its not the changes im against its the way and reasoning this was done, im a trained publisher and can see the reasons (cash) behind this clearly.

and yes you may still have the old versions but how are new players going to be attracted to play an edition or system they can no longer purchase?

p1fx said:
and of course the people who are praising the changes are going to disagree with anyone who dosnt like the change ,duh think a little eh pal, what you dont take into account is the people who dont want to have to purchase a whole new set of stuff and so have walked away from the game,

its not the changes im against its the way and reasoning this was done, im a trained publisher and can see the reasons (cash) behind this clearly.

We'll just have to see things differently then. Sure they are doing what makes them money....its why they make games. But just because a new edition comes out does not mean "You have to buy a new game."

If you do not like the new version, don't buy it. Play the version that works for you. There is no need to believe you HAVE to do anything.

p1fx said:
and yes you may still have the old versions but how are new players going to be attracted to play an edition or system they can no longer purchase?

I can purchase game books from the 1970s and its not hard to find or hard to do. There's truly not a lot in the RPG industry that has become truly RARE even out of print.

I have gotten new players into several games OOP. Its no harder than any other game.

if its all compatable and the change is done for the benefit of the game then explain the reissuing of all previous stuff under a new banner, when if its compatable it should be really left at just the new rules and new stuff being produced, its being reissued for the cash these will generate

oh and the cthulhu stuff is cthulhu compatable, it works with brp as this is the system behind cthulhu, call of cthulhu is still going and currently has numerous companys producing source material, which is something which mongoose has now prevented from happening for rq2. you talk of cthulhu as if it has been replaced by brp, again you may want to read up on this.

and how much are you paying or expecting your players to pay for these 1970's books? also im not sure where you are but i can tell you in scotland your gonna be hard pushed to get older games, and i wouldnt feel comfortable introducing people into a game they cant buy into and is not easily available

still waiting to hear why chaosium and palladium are bad in your eyes, is it because they produce games because they love and belive in them and take the profit made as a secondary interest, perhaps leaving them not as competitive as other companies but more rpg focused. lets not forget how mongoose used to hijack other companies releases for d+d 3.5 in order to establish themselves.

p1fx said:
if its all compatable and the change is done for the benefit of the game then explain the reissuing of all previous stuff under a new banner, when if its compatable it should be really left at just the new rules and new stuff being produced, its being reissued for the cash these will generate

oh and the cthulhu stuff is cthulhu compatable, it works with brp as this is the system behind cthulhu, call of cthulhu is still going and currently has numerous companys producing source material, which is something which mongoose has now prevented from happening for rq2. you talk of cthulhu as if it has been replaced by brp, again you may want to read up on this.

Why does CoC need a sixth revision? Why have several CoC supplements had different editions? I know that CoC uses BRP and hasn't changed much over the years, but it has some and it has went through more than 6 versions over time each still compatible with minimal work with the previous.......how is this different than RQII? It changed the rules through revision to make them work better(while still be compatible) by an author passionate about making a better game and more enjoyable....while making money. Sometimes a new revision is all it takes to re-invigorate the market in your game. Which if internet forums was enough to go on, signs show RQII seems to be doing just this. RPGnet has had NUMEROUS threads on RQII; invigorating the staling market.

Sure money is of course a factor, they want the RPG industry to keep going and to make as much money off their work as they can. Its what keeps the industry for the hobby going.

p1fx said:
still waiting to hear why chaosium and palladium are bad in your eyes, is it because they produce games because they love and belive in them and take the profit made as a secondary interest, perhaps leaving them not as competitive as other companies but more rpg focused. lets not forget how mongoose used to hijack other companies releases for d+d 3.5 in order to establish themselves.

[Edited Out content about other companies that are not Mongoose, as I didn't realize the forum's policy.]

CoC has a sixth edition because technology has changed and this needed to be added into the game, the rules havent changed at all since earlier editions, they may have edition in the name but are more just reprints as the inside cover will tell you especially the supplements you mention which where only reprinted due to demmand and their current lack of availability. apart from additions to the book previous editions are no different and require no work at all to use, rq2 is a different game to mrq and requires a fair bit of work to be compatable, eg magic, combat etc which cthulhu dosnt require. these are reprints not 6 versions, and actually there have been more, 5.5 for example or 5.6. when a novel is reprinted they dont change the story they just reprint it so it is constantly available and can be discovered by new readers, this is what cthulhu does, building on its vast back catalogue of compatable material to give it strength.

and on the subject of rare books are you talking actual books or pdf's? as id hate to see the price of a physical copy of horror on the orient express

chaosium were never really a true power house and didnt really aim for this rather aiming to produce a beatiful and time lasting rpg. they wereand are a important linchpin of the rpg world wit many awards to boot but this wasnt their aim

palladium was always a smallish entity which is why they miss deadlines etc and whilest they have had troubles they have shown their commitment to rpgs by refusing to be bought out on many occasions despite the finacial trouble they are in, trouble which was helped greatly by the strength of their fan base rallying around them after the whole robbing b******* affair which nearly finished them off.

lets not forget what happened to tsr when they began to focus more on their profit margins than the games, they also had a thing against 3rd party publications which mirrors mongooses stance on this for rq2, no more sepulchure games stuff etc

aghain, the material for cthulhu is constantly updated and new stuff released, what you refer to as new editions, but it is done in a way which makes it minimal in regards to system changes,

Hmmm thats odd, I have seen several threads on several sites with people arguing their likes and dislikes about changes in the editions of CoC. Are you telling me that they are making up all the changes? They didn't change the dice rules for skill improvements? That the way SAN works has always been the same?

The truth is that it has had some changes in its system especially the earlier editions, while core of it has stayed the same. RQII uses BRP as its base too with changes on top of that. Many would say its minor changes, and many would say they are all for the better.

As for rare books I used the extreme with the 70's you could get them, with amazon, ebay and many used RPG re-sellers there is not a whole lot you couldn't find, except for some of the really rare exceptions.

To use some realistic examples, I taught several people how to play Earthdawn 1st with Earthdawn first books when Redbrick was putting out their edition. Most of my players bought books on amazon or in the local used bookstore. Same thing with AD&D 2nd, Classic Deadlands, and Revised Palladium 1st edition. They were all at the time OOP(Classic Deadlnads is PoD now) and my players had no trouble buying them.

Back