How is your approach to problems different in Conan

BhilJhoanz

Mongoose
Our group has a tendency to be very cautious in our D&D games but stick us in Hyboria and we draw steel and charge in with little hesitation.

In D&D, we try to avoid death but in Hyboria we don't want to miss out on life.

Strange considering that we're the same people. Has anyone encountered the same thing? or do you find the opposite? Anyone here playing Conan with the mindset of avoiding death.

Any explanation for the difference? I think it's partly the fate point Safety Net.

I've seen the opposite in my Conan game. In D&D there are so many spells and magic items that can constantly save you once you find the right combination. Plus all encounters are set up with the appropriate EL or ECL or CR or whatever. In my Conan game I warned the characters early on how dangerous Hyboris is, and after a few initial rough encounters they settle in an area where they pick their battles carefully, not just charging in like they did in D&D.

Last session they encountered Man-Apes, they ended up having to flee as fast as their feet would carry them. Now whenever I hint at Man-Apes they're like:

"MAN-AAAAPPPPPEEEEESSSSSSS, RUN"...

SS

Ha! Oh, we run away a lot (stupid terror saves) but we don't sit and ponder what we should do next when presented with a problem.

Our GM had put together a book of an adventure for us the other week and we stormed right through it. "oh, the guard won't let us in to speak with the master of the house? *CLONK!*"

When a young man tells us that his father's smithy is a front for Hyperborians looking to bring a ancient king back to life, did we stop to wonder if it was a trap? Did we say, "Gee, I'm still at only half HP from the fight the night before -- let's rest a night . . ." Did we debate trickery and stealth vs Kicking in the Door?

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Door, knock
Smith, Fist
Cellar, Hyperborians
Hyperborians, kill

I think just about everyone burnt a fate point that day but then, that's what they're for.

In D&D, this adventure would have taken hours of debate and questioning.

I find it has had both effects on my players. On the one hand they are keenly aware that even low level mooks can pose a threat to them and that supernatural stuff can frell them up bad. Had them encounter one sorcorer so far and they were shaking in their boots just seeeing him walk into the room (of course his +22 Intimidate check and Steely Gaze feat may have had someting to do with that :twisted: ). So if they can use stealth or trickery to bypass an encounter they will without hesitation and they dont' hesitate at all to retreat if they think they can tilt the batlefield in their favor by doing so.

On the other hand, once faced with an encounter they seem to have no fear of saying "screw this" and atempting crazy stuff like throwing their last weapon at an enemy just because they hate the bastard and want him dead. They don't know this but I have a tendancy to look favorably on over the top stuff like that and give it decent odds.

I think it is a balancing act. In the stories Conan is more cautious than most DnD players in sizing up his opposition but also more audacious in an actual fight. For me, and I think also for my players, it is one of the most appealing things about playing in Hyboria. And yes, the fate points are largely responsible for this.

Back