Hit Locations

Normally hit locations are rolled on 1D20, and mounted combatants used 1D10+10 to determine their hit location against targets when using a small or medium weapon.

It occurs to me, that this could really be generalised into several ground rules. Perhaps these were implied already, but never stated.

Attacker is more than twice the size of their opponent, or attacking from above waist height, or shooting down on the target (also includes mass arrow fire) then the attacker should roll 1D10+10 for a location.

Attacker is half the size of the opponent, attacking from the ground, or shooting up at a target (from point blank range), then they roll 1D10-10 for the location.

And actually, besides being based in the historical Basic Roleplay, is there any particular reason why you need to make a separate hit location roll at all? For example, previous versions of WFRP simply reverse the percentile score used during the hit roll. You could do the same thing in Legend, just dividing the result by 5 (or make a new hit location chart based on percentages).

AnaliseLameth said:
And actually, besides being based in the historical Basic Roleplay, is there any particular reason why you need to make a separate hit location roll at all? For example, previous versions of WFRP simply reverse the percentile score used during the hit roll. You could do the same thing in Legend, just dividing the result by 5 (or make a new hit location chart based on percentages).
Then attackers with low or average skill would never be able to hit their opponents above the waist?

Well, you reverse the two digits. So a roll of 34 would become a location of 43. The only time you would not be able to hit all the locations would be when your actual roll to hit was under 10.

In combats with large numbers of protagonists, might shave off a bit of time, if you were having to determine locations on each one. Although you could probably just average out mooks armour and not bother rolling at all, since they use the general hit point pool.

AnaliseLameth said:
Well, you reverse the two digits. So a roll of 34 would become a location of 43. The only time you would not be able to hit all the locations would be when your actual roll to hit was under 10.

So most criticals will not be able to hit all locations?

- Dan

AnaliseLameth said:
Attacker is half the size of the opponent, attacking from the ground, or shooting up at a target (from point blank range), then they roll 1D10-10 for the location.
Where do I hit when I roll -9?
Did you mean 1d10 for hit location?

Mixster said:
AnaliseLameth said:
Where do I hit when I roll -9?
Did you mean 1d10 for hit location?

Oh, yeah.. I was just applying the +10/-10 thing without thinking... for low rolls, you just need to roll a straight 1D10 unmodified.

Back