Harrier Commerce Raider mark 2

PsiTraveller

Cosmic Mongoose
I don't like the Harrier as presented in the adventure. The risk of a power shortfall seems easy to solve with the high tech advantages available. So I remade the Harrier with what I think a stealthy commerce raider should have.

Hull Tons Cost
200 200 10
Sreamlined 2
Reinforced 6

Armor Bnded SD 6.4 3.2
M-Drive 10.8 32.4
Reduced Tonnage
Energy efficient X 2
J-Drive 13.5 30.38
early jump
Reduced tonnage
Stealth Jump
Fuel 42
Power Plant TL 15 13 26
260 Power
Bridge/Holo Controls 10 1.25

The res of the ships is the same, except for the addition of a Drop Tank Collar for a 40 ton drop tank, and 1 ton of High effiency battery storing 60 power. 20 ton collapsible bladder is also in the cargo hold.

Cargo space is reduced to 26.9 tons and cost is 386 million.

Advantages.

The Drop Collar allows rifts to be crossed, as does the collapsible bladder. I know the argument about simply storing water in drums in the hold, but I am not trying to push things that far. The Drop Collar will allow a raiding ship to enter a system and not have to go to a gas giant to refuel and risk exposure. The collapsible tank allows a J1 escape as well, or greatly extends mission duration.

The Power needs of the craft are now
Basic Systems 40
M-Drive 60 (down from 120)
Jump Drive 40
Weapon 15
Turret 1
Low Berth 1
Sensors 8
Fuel Processors 2
Holo Hull 100

Total 267
Power Generated 260

The reduction of the M Drive to half the power demand removes the power choice challenge for the ship. The battery allows a ship that suffers a power plant hit to still power critical systems (or divert power to weapons) for several rounds of combat. The battery can also power the Jump Drive if needed, just as the courier boats do.

Several tons of power plant could be removed to increase cargo space again.

That's my first draft of the ship. I may drop the collapsible tank and take some repair drones to allow self repair of the ship. The Holographic Hull is a question mark for me as well. I am not sure if there is a military reason for the holo hull, or if it is just aesthetic. Saving the 100 points could cut 5 tons of power plant.

Any thoughts comments or criticisms?

PsiTraveller said:
The Holographic Hull is a question mark for me as well. I am not sure if there is a military reason for the holo hull, or if it is just aesthetic. Saving the 100 points could cut 5 tons of power plant.

The holographic hull is for the commerce raider use, useful for disguising the ship. And it only takes power if it is active.

I am just wondering when and how it would be used. If the stealth hull and stealth jump is supposed to make the raider like a submarine, striking from concealment. Why have a light show as you dock with the enemy?

And if your attack plan is to engage at very long range with the barbette and damage ships, raising prices for the ships, and sickening the crew with radiation. A demand they drop cargo you can scoop up as they flee means they never see the light show.

How would you use the holo hull?

The ninja uses deception and disguise to get close to a target rather than running in screaming and waving a sword a mile away.

Stealth is good.

By the time the target ship realizes you're, in fact, not just another Free Trader, they are reminded there's a Particle Barbette at optimal range.

If I remember correctly, the PoD Harrier is a 'fixer upper' for the players to spend money on, patch engines, new coat of paint, that second turret.

Reynard said:
If I remember correctly, the PoD Harrier is a 'fixer upper' for the players to spend money on, patch engines, new coat of paint, that second turret.

Yup, it could use a fair bit of work.

Don't forget that the Holo Hull can be used to mirror whatever background the ship is against, making it extremely difficult to spot with visual sensors (or eyes) as well

Back