Gods and Temples

Mark_Gedak

Mongoose
Who are the gods of good in Lone Wolf.

The Darklands did a nice job of details some of the darks gods such as Karausgnith, Naar, Tharrayn,Vurnos, and Xhagvash but are there no gods of good?

Well, we know primarily of Kai and Ishir, god and goddess of the sun and moon respectively.
There are others, but I don't think they've ever been explored in canon (someone correct me if I'm mistaken here, please)

Is their a description of what a temple of Ishir looks like anywhere. I want to use on in an upcoming adventure but what to remain as true to the books as possible.

No, there are no descriptions anywhere. The only thing that can be deduced is that the worship differs between countries.

You see murals depicting Ishir's goodness in one of their halls.

Basically, Ishir and any temple to her will depend on what aspect of Ishir(or other god of good you make up) is the focus and what culture. I imagine each nationality will try to have its temples fit int with its normal architecture, but perhaps Ishir calls for something else? That's why Joe Dever, I think, doesn't want us to have ALL the details in HIS head because he doesnt feel all those details are as important as the THEMES of his work. ANd he wants us to have fun with it.

Don't forget the Shadakine Wytch Chyldren worship Briganta, who seems to be a goddess of nature.

So Briganta, Ishir, Kai...The Nuoma made the Sommerswerd, so I imagine someone might worship them. Ohrido is a temple of the Magi, but I don't know if it's a temple TO Ohrido or if that's just a name of the location.

Ghost of Landar said:
So Briganta, Ishir, Kai...The Nuoma made the Sommerswerd, so I imagine someone might worship them. Ohrido is a temple of the Magi, but I don't know if it's a temple TO Ohrido or if that's just a name of the location.

I think it's the location. All the other Lorestones aside from the Lorestone of Nyaxator are named after locations.

There's also Salor, the god of battle who the Sommerlund Knights of the Realm pay fealty to.

Also you have the Star names in the Sage of Lyris class in Magic of Magnamund... Qui, the star of joy, for instance. It's possible (this is speculation) that Qui is a god/godess of joy.

-GB

In Magnamund, it's all about power.

The Lord of Light and Darkness are just powerful creatures. Shianti are described as being worshipped in some way as a sort of half-Gods, and the Darklords of course are, as we see in Book 14.
Nyxator comes to mind who forsake immortality upon venturing into Magnamund, and I suppose a Kai Supreme Master could be looked upon as a sort of half-god too.

I 've also heard about Zantaz, the god of the Drakkarim...
Polytheism seems to prevail upon monotheism when gods, even if they are but very powerful beings, can actually influence the course of things through magic or some other similar forces. Now, some gods seem clearly to be favored by some cultures.

There should be a supplement to explain all of these gods. Hell, it could be called "Gods and Temples" like this very thread. Y'hearing this August?

Greg Smith said:
There is a mention of a God of battle in the Sommerlund Knight character class.

A god of battle other than Kai? I mean... isn't that sort of Kai's purview? That just sounds like an ex post facto edit to the series.

Obviously you have Kai and Ishir as the big dogs (sorry, can't resist the wordplay), and Briganta was mentioned, as is some fabricated god of battle named Salor. It's possible that the Nuoma are worshipped, but knowledge of them has got to be pretty rare. There are still Shianti priests (at least in the south) who are, for the most part, good, and likely those who worship them as the Ancients or Mahjan, too. If you wanted to split hairs, there could be Alyss worshippers out there, as well (though she's more about neutrality-with-leanings-toward-good). It's also possible that there are those who worship the memory of Nyxator, iconic figure that he is.

Back