Getting in to "Conan: RPG"

Arkobla Conn said:
Aside from the omission on creatures...(???)...the Pocket version should be exact other than pictures.

I went through the pocket edition 4 times and didn't see any creature stats. Not having been able to get the full size version, I had to look around on these boards to see whether there were creature stats in the core book. Posts I read indicated there were. I also noticed that some of the info for the Thief was repeated. Is it possible that the pocket version was supposed to have creature stats, but disappeared due to a gaffe like this? Other than the Thief info, I haven't run across any other typos like that, large enough to account for missing stats. Hopefully one of the Mongoose guys will be along to give us more info.

darkwarlock1114 said:
Let's put it this way...I'm not old enough to drive but old enough to get a user name on this board without getting parent permission.

Doesn't really help, but I'm guessing early teens. If I'm right then i reckon the problem is your parents.

Just my tuppence ha'penny.

LBH

The Pocket version has to border illos but as stated previously "the Nipple" is barely... err...hardly noticable. There are no other illos other than some combat examples and a few circles with runes.

blacksagelobo said:
There are no other illos other than some combat examples and a few circles with runes.

:shock:

Might incite outr young RPGers into ancient pagan blood sacrifices . . .

LBH
(Being sarcastic incase anyone hadn't guessed!)

Your exactly right, lastbesthope, my parents are definitely the problem. My gaming group would care less, but to make sure I can roleplay with it, I'd have to take some drastic measures to make the book "parent friendly", like cutting out the image, which would be terrible because it would be a NEW book. But I really like the setting so I'm prepared to make sacrifices(if you've read the earlier messages, I'm sorry about the pun).

I am heartily against defacing books for whatever reason. Particularly dumb parents.

As for your parents, may I suggest the Marcus Cole school of diplomacy.

"You can achieve more with a kind word and a two by four than you can with just a kind word!"

Been a long time since I had to worry about my parents thought, even if I am only 26.

LBH

darkwarlock1114 said:
Your exactly right, lastbesthope, my parents are definitely the problem. My gaming group would care less, but to make sure I can roleplay with it, I'd have to take some drastic measures to make the book "parent friendly", like cutting out the image, which would be terrible because it would be a NEW book. But I really like the setting so I'm prepared to make sacrifices(if you've read the earlier messages, I'm sorry about the pun).

IF you need to do this, and it's not your fault, how about instead of cutting out those parts just get a black marker and just black out the nipple parts so that it doesn't not show them. No need in totally ripping out your whole book for this. I think that would work. As for the parents bit, would it help if maybe you explained to them look at all of the ancient sculptures, they have alot of bare breasted women (and nude men) look at David. If that doesn't work try the marker. And just remember it's not your fault about this happening. And for whatever reason DO NOT get into it with your parents....humor them. At 18 you are your own boss.....

First of all, find a store with the book in stock and show it to your parents. Explain the situation to them, that you're not into the "mature themes" but that the themes are present in the books. Ask them if they have any problems with you buying them.

Your parents have every right to restrict your purchases especially in regards to moral issues such as violence or sexual themes. Until you turn 18 the only choice you have is to live with it.

By showing them a game and asking their opinion you are showing maturity and respect for them. You've already said that they allow you to play D&D so why push your luck and start battles over a game you aren't sure about to begin with.

By getting their permission and opinion and accepting a negative response graciously shows them your maturity and reinforces their decision to allow you to play the games you are already playing.

Without any doubt, the Conan game contains mature themes and illustrations. If your parents will object to that, then give them the chance to object and allow yourself a victory. Save the fighting for when it's really important.

It's also like this: The stuff that is depicted as needing blood sacrifice and torture to "get ahead" or excel in are, in my opinion, on the darker side or morality and inherently evil. That's my personal belief and so I'll portray it in my game that way as well. If your parents are unsure about the themes or content, try explaining to them that it's an imaginary struggle between good and evil. The game mechanics are there to allow for people to take that imaginary fight pretty far, but it's still only imaginary. Plus, whatever morals they've instilled in you has at least made you consider what is appropriate or inappropriate and, because this game is so well written and constructed, you can make it as racey or "evil" as you see fit. Even just hinting at screams and the sickly sweet odor of blood can be a creepy image, but no more "evil" than an episode of C.S.I. If you as the GM make it clear (and you can use this argument with your parents) that certain acts are evil and it's your goal to have your players fight and defeat that evil, then all you're doing is arranging and telling fun adventure stories.

Another argument is that if they've had little problem with your playing D&D, then Conan is more about the fight against evils that humans create rather than monsters or other types of creatures. That may seem like a backwards way to go about it, but in my opinion it shows a sign of maturity to realize that humans are capable of cruelty and evil, but that your goal is to have your players represent the forces of good that exists in humanity versus the forces of evil in humanity.

It really boils down to trust, so you're gonna have to trust that your parents aren't insane or paranoid about RPG stuff like this and your ability to inteerpret it, but they're also gonna have to trust that you can tell the difference between reality and fantasy. I think that just by raising the issue you're okay... :wink:

Thank you guys so much for your comments and advice. After posting last time I thought about the black marker thing. I also have thought about asking my parents first. I really like all of the possible arguements you have presented before me, and with this information to use, hopefully I can sway them and show them that it's not that bad. They know I like roleplaying/fantasy and the stuff I read is fairly mature so hopefully they'll side with me. I haven't even asked my gaming group if they would like to play in the setting, or read any of the Conan books so I have a while to go until I actually talk to my parents. I probably seem like an OCD planning type person, but hopefully that will make my arguement more impressive.

Show your parents this thread and let them read our posts as well as yours.

By asking the questions you've asked and your considering "censoring" the pictures shows a good level of maturity.

Besides whats wrong with being OCD?

Kiln Publications your comment was funny and lastebesthope, my parents probably don't care if someone they don't know says they're dumb. I value you your opinions, and my parents will take your comments with a grain of salt(hopefully :D )

Thanks warlock,

I don't know what it's like in the US but over here in the UK I'm getting a bit fed up with society's attitude towards kids, the schools seem to blame the parents, the parents blame the schools, the politicians blame whoever they feel like blaming this week and everyone seems to ignore the fact that sometimes kids can actually be responsible, like you're being in trying to dsee your parents point of view. They must have done something right bringing you up or you wouldn't have come here looking for help on it.

Good luck to you and may your parents see your point of view for what it is, reasoned and mature.

LBH

I think here in the US we're just less vocal and less involved - we see it often as "none of our business". I'm not a parent, but we in the US also have the most violence and sex on our television screens in prime time, so I can hardly see a little Conan action being beyond the pale. (lol)

I bet your dad is in the closet at least about watching the movies (at least the original) when he was a kid. Most males around the age of 30-40 probably are. Then there's the books...surely one of your parents knows there were books.

More than that, it's all just make believe and good guys versus bad guys and if you have parents that have raised you to be concerned about what they think and consider the ramifications of your choices, then I dont' see how they can be down on it, quite honestly.

Are you in the States or Europe, darkwarlock? Just curious...

States, Sutek. I agree with lastbesthope,the blame is just shoved around. The part about the politicians is true though. Our teachers hate politicians because in the states we have something called core content. It is what the teachers have to teach. The teachers hate it because the politicians are basically telling them what to teach. So when it comes to passing blame. The teachers, parents, or politicians will gladly make it look like someone else's fault.

Yeah, but don't some places in the States prohibit the teaching of Darwinism? I mean it's not like they even say that's what happened, it's a theory of evolution after all.

My main issue with the UK at the moment is that Political Correctness is being taken too far. And as for 'positive' discrimination, just don't get me started. How they think they can get away with saying something that is openly called discrimination is fair is beyond me!

Anway, I digress. Good luck with talking to your parents.

LBH

Back