drakh carriers

Wulf, you're argument is that just because it's called a carrier doesn't mean that it is a carrier?!
You are getting very touchy, even admitting that it is a naff ship designed to be used below its PL? What you're saying is that a Battle Level ship is designed to be used only at Raid level and below? Does anybody else find this a little bizarre?
It also doesn't work, most of the gaming we've done with the Carrier has been at Raid level and it still get's tonked. So, you can't afford it at Patrol level, will struggle to play it at Skirmish level and it's a liability from Raid level up..... Yup, some great ideas at work there.

Wing Co, a while back (after one of EarthForces' more successful outings) you pointed out to me that your Drakh fleet could have traded four Raiders for a Carrier, with the aforementioned Raiders included free.

Now you know why!! :D

Nae Beard (Wing Commander said:
Wulf, you're argument is that just because it's called a carrier doesn't mean that it is a carrier?!
Correct. You have to call it something. Mothership was taken.
You are getting very touchy, even admitting that it is a naff ship designed to be used below its PL?
Touchy? Why so? Yes, it's naff, at or above it's own PL. What's the problem with that? I don't 'admit' it, I'm happy to tell anyone that. That's how I ALWAYS considered it, it's a low-grade carrier in the WW2 style, completely unsurvivable in the immediate combat environment.
What you're saying is that a Battle Level ship is designed to be used only at Raid level and below? Does anybody else find this a little bizarre?
You're considering it all wrong. The Carrier is not a Battle PL choice. The Carrier WITH 4 RAIDERS is a Batle PL choice. 5 Ships for a single Battle point.

Wulf

Most carriers (Avenger, Poseidon, Morshin, Brokados) can have their fighters launched by turn 2 with no Scramble! rolls required.

The Drakh carrier is comparable to these:

Balvarix, 8 flights, carrier 2. Flights all launched by turn 3-5 (depending on Scramble rolls).
Miliani, 4 Kotha flights, no carrier. Flights all launched by turn 2-3.
T'Rann: 4 flights, no carrier. Flights all launched by turn 2-3.

With one succesful scramble roll, the Drakh carrier can launch all its Raiders by turn 2.

Like all carriers, the Drakh one isn't designed to go toe-to-toe with enemy warships and if it is unprotested it will suffer. Whether it is worth taking at certain priority levels is up to individual players to decide.

do all those carriers offer extra VP's for the ships they carry, which get blown up in the round two explosion as the carrier dies horribly?

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
do all those carriers offer extra VP's for the ships they carry, which get blown up in the round two explosion as the carrier dies horribly?
They do now, yes... or, at least, as I understand it, the Tournament PDF says you get VP for ship-caried flights.

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
They do now, yes... or, at least, as I understand it, the Tournament PDF says you get VP for ship-caried flights.

Wulf

Really? Superb, my argument is wiped away, but my narn can now rack up VP's for killing those simple targets.

The tourney pdf states that, but it is not stated in Armageddon, so I would say that launched fighters are actually not counted, as per SFoS.

Really? Superb, my argument is wiped away, but my narn can now rack up VP's for killing those simple targets.
I believe it's a logical step to simplify fighters. You now no longer have to differentiate between Fighters from ships and fighters from Wings.

Wulf

Recall that the early-era Avenger carrier for the EA now loses the fleet carrier trait and drops a priority level. The trait less defines whether a ship is a dedicated carrier and more whether it's really good at it or not.

The Early Years Avenger is rather a good raid-level choice (compare it to the Balvarin), but it is one of the ships that makes the Eearly EA a valid fleet choice, IMHO.

Right Hand of God said:
Can the Drakh mothership start the game with a ship already deployed from it's hangers?
One, yes. They follow the same rules as for auxillary craft (they can Scramble Scramble to launch 1 extra, etc).

We were actually surprised by this ship and a CL during a 6-Skirmish fight against Narn: 3 Ka'Tocs, 1 Sho'Kar, 2 Sho'Kos, and a G'Sten. It was really quite nasty. That Carrier ended up being the star of the show. It waited behind a few asteroids for a few of the Raiders and a CL to chop the number of Ka'Tocs down by one and then waded into the fray, trusting in its GEG 3. Worked brilliantly. The twin-linked AP pulsars were vicious, and I rolled out lucky on the beam. Even scared the daylights out of the Sho'Kar with a couple of well-placed breaching pods, which are NOT to be scoffed at as a freebee.

Lesson: the Huge Hanger ships are nasty, but you have to have some care! Know to:

1). Hide in Asteroids
2). Buy in games where the ship PL is much greater than the PL of the fight.
3). Be aggressive in the endgame.
4). Remember your Breaching Pods, dammit!

Back