Couple quick questions

silashand

Mongoose
Just some questions that came up in our games and we couldn't find a conscensus in the rules:

1. In the attack phase if you nominate a target with multiple weapon systems from a single ship, e.g. boresight beam, missiles, etc. and you destroy the target before all weapon systems have fired, do you still fire the remaining weapons even though the ship is dead? The rules say you can't target a dead ship, however, targeting only happens at the beginning of activation. This would be important because it could determine if a given ship explodes or not based on damage caused. The rational explanation as I understand it is that all weapons are actually firing simultaneously, it's just the turn-based mechanic that separates them, thus once you nominate a target for the weapons the ship has to fire them.

2. When you light up a ship using a scout ability (to get the re-rolls to hit), it says nominate one weapon system to gain re-rolls to hit. Does that one weapon system have to be the same for all ships targeting the illuminated ship, i.e. do I have to declare that the scout is illuminating the target for all pulse cannons and only those ships with pulse cannons firing at the ship gain the re-roll? Or is it that when it comes time for a given ship to fire, as long as the target is illuminated it chooses one weapon system that it possesses and it gets to re-roll failed attack rolls for it only?

3. Gaim emines (or any other multi-bank weapon system in other fleets) vs adaptive armour. Do you have to roll separately for each bank and calculate damage accordingly or do you roll them all together and halve the total damage? For example, the Shuuka has 3 banks of 4AD each for a total of 12AD. Assuming I target the same ship with all of them, do I roll them in 4AD increments and calculate damage or should I roll them all together? Our group was under the impression you halved the damage per weapon system, with weapon system being a descriptor of weapon *type* as in real world military terminology (i.e. you roll all the emines together). However, someome commented on the boards recently that weapon system in B5:ACTA means each discrete *mounting* of the same weapon type, i.e. you should roll them in increments based on the AD in each bank. Which is the correct way to interpret this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Gary

to 1 i think so, all weapons were fired regardless if the ship is dead or not

2. i think you can choose one Weaponsystem one any ship. This have not to be the same.

3. Iam sure that that every weapon entry in the shiplist is handle seperatly for all circumstances.

So you have to roll 3 times 4AD and half them each.

1) yes, all weapons finish firing. If it blows, it blows!

2) It was my understanding you nominated a weapon system, and that applied to all ships, could be wrong though

3) adaptive armour works per weapon, not per ship salvo. Makes it a pain with some ships

Scout allows every ship that fires at the target to reroll one weapon system. It does not have to be the same weapon system, one ship can reroll railguns, one can reroll missiles and so on.

Greg Smith said:
Scout allows every ship that fires at the target to reroll one weapon system. It does not have to be the same weapon system, one ship can reroll railguns, one can reroll missiles and so on.

While you may be correct, the reason I find it hard to believe is that different weapon systems may need different means of target enhancement, e.g. you cannot use a laser designator to increase the odds of hitting with a radar guided missile, nor could you use a radar reflector to increase the odds of hitting with a GPS guided bomb. I don't mind playing it either way, but the way you suggest doesn't make sense IMO. That's why we thought when you illuminate a target you have to choose a discrete weapon system type that would gain the re-rolls.

Cheers, Gary

Greg's right. The rules are:

1. You keep firing all nominated weapons until you have run out of AD. This will increase the chances of ships blowing up.

2. Every ship can choose one weapon system to benefit from the Scout re-roll. This is chosen by each ship when they nominate their attacks, not at the time of the initial Scout roll.

3. All sets of AD are rolled independently. This means in your Gaim example, if each bank inflicted 1 Damage and 1 Crew then each bank gets rounded down (to the minimum of 1) and the target ship suffers a total of 4 Damage/4 Crew.

Triggy said:
Greg's right.

2. Every ship can choose one weapon system to benefit from the Scout re-roll. This is chosen by each ship when they nominate their attacks, not at the time of the initial Scout roll.

As I said, I don't doubt that, it just doesn't make sense given real-world targeting mechanisms is all.

Thanks for the responses though.

Cheers, Gary

It doesn't make sense that only one weapon system per ship gets the benefit either. If the ship's been lit up for the targetting computers, surely all the weapons should benefit. The reason it's been written the way it has I suspect is for a combination of simplicity and games balance.

silashand said:
Greg Smith said:

While you may be correct, the reason I find it hard to believe is that different weapon systems may need different means of target enhancement, e.g. you cannot use a laser designator to increase the odds of hitting with a radar guided missile, nor could you use a radar reflector to increase the odds of hitting with a GPS guided bomb. I don't mind playing it either way, but the way you suggest doesn't make sense IMO. That's why we thought when you illuminate a target you have to choose a discrete weapon system type that would gain the re-rolls.

Cheers, Gary

Ultimately, this may be one of those artificial limitations designed to keep one particular rule from breaking the game--not unlike the flamethrower or smoke rules in FOW. Could you imagine how much more deadly an Apollo Strike Cruiser or a Warlock might be if it could re-roll BOTH it's missile and its railguns? I'm sure that I don't know all of the fleets well enough to be able to give better examples, but imagine me sailing an Apollo strike cruiser into the middle of your Gaim fleet. I would, in effect, get 12 dice of precise super AP missiles and 24 dice of AP, DD railguns. You'd be losing Queens and fighters a lot faster than you are now!! :wink:

I think you mean why the ability doesn't allow everything to re-roll, at least for the game balance reason anyway. Using a more realistic approach as I mentioned above would actually be *less* impacting than now. I do understand though that it could easily be due to reasons of simplicity, though I don't think it's all that much more complicated. It just still doesn't make sense though from a realistic perspective. Given that B5 is set some years in our own future I'd think some representative aspects would probably not change. JMO though.

At least we have an answer though.

Cheers, Gary

I've always read the rule as affecting one specific weapon system. So if you chose Rail Guns, only Rail Guns would benefit from the Scout's marker... still, the other way does benefit more ships.

Hmmm... it appears I'm not the only one who got the impression from the rules that you nominate a specific weapon system and that's the only one it applies to. Anyone have an authoritative answer one way or another? Obviously using the rules as written it can be interpreted either way (and apparently is ;-)).

Cheers, Gary

Triggy and I are playtesters and I can tell you that that is how it is done when playing in tourneys at Mongoose, so we are fairly authoratitive. But if you want an answer from Matt or Bryan, ask it on the Rulesmasters forum and ask for an official answer only.

That's fine and authoritative enough for me. I do think, however, that this should be added to the FAQ since I reread the rules tonight and not knowing one way or the other would still have arrived at my original interpretation. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary

While modern day warefare I agree with you in regards to the different methods of "painting" and what weapons the affect...

In the b5 universe it could just simply be that all thesee weapon systems use the same type of targeting system, if that was so then it wouldn't matter what type got the bonus really...

And then regarding why wouldn't all weapons on a ship then get that bonus well game balance for one... and possibly (fluff reasson) it's only feed to the weapons officers of a specific weapon system for thier targeting per ship....

Back