Conan RPG's use of British English

I have to say that I'm with Arkobla Conn on this one. You could tell me that it's the best game ever made and I won't play it if it's D6. I've seen too many systems/games come and go since 78 when I started playing. To me, it's just not worth it to learn a new system/game when I have to wonder if it will still be around in a couple years. Then if it's still around, how many people play it and can I find them easily?

No matter where I go, people who play D20 will be easy to find, and I can be sure it will still be around.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
I have to say that I'm with Arkobla Conn on this one. You could tell me that it's the best game ever made and I won't play it if it's D6.

Isn't that a bit narrow? Even if a game supposedly is the greatest RPG to hit the world, but its _not_ D20.

I've seen too many systems/games come and go since 78 when I started playing. To me, it's just not worth it to learn a new system/game when I have to wonder if it will still be around in a couple years. Then if it's still around, how many people play it and can I find them easily?

So D20 has been around since how long did you say? In my very first edition, it says @2000. D20 isn't D&D or AD&D, even if there are some remote similarities.

Basically it boils down to that you are to lazy to learn a new system when your group is starting a new campaign. I find it easy, you roll up the characters, and the GM explain the game basics. As long as its not D20, which will take several sessions to learn if you havn't played it before. Although, skipping combat will make it much easier.

What mthomason said is cool, and Mongoose has now also published a new non-D20 product! (Paranoia XP) Yeehaaw!

Last thing last. I'm not anti-D20, I have played lots of D&D D20, even Epic characters. And other systems that are D20, like Conan (OGL, ok). It's just that I don't like "I wont play if its not D20" and also finding only D20 games on the game shelf at the local store (boring).

And finding gamers isn't in the same ball park as systems changing, Rikki. Change is inevitable - you either embrace it or find yourself trying to find even fewer players interested in the older system, which you like, as opposed to the newer system, which everyone else is playing. You have a kinda sour attitude towards this d20 revolution, I gotta say.

I think you probably boil down to having more of a dislike of the volatility in the RPG market and the d20 saturation that's there too.

So D20 has been around since how long did you say? In my very first edition, it says @2000. D20 isn't D&D or AD&D, even if there are some remote similarities.

That may be so, but the foundation of D20 is D&D and that's been around for a long while now.

Plus, it's not laziness, it's the fact that I don't want to buy things that I will get very little to no use out of.

As far as that being a narrow minded, sure you can say that, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't play other systems.

And yes, I know Mongoose has published a non-D20 product and I have to say that it's on my list of products not to get.

Wow, this "debate" is still going on?

For fantasy games, I like D20 and Rolemaster. (ahhh good oh Earthdawn and Dangerous Journeys)
For Sci-Fi I like Cyberpunk (not the D20 mongoose variant) and Shadowrun
For Gothic games I prefer White-Wolf.

If I were to play the D20 variant for all these (reminds me of GURPS), then I'd feel like I was playing Monopoly.

Monopoly has simple rules. But, different versions just like D20. You have the basic set, the Starwars set, the etc set. Same rules, different background. Just overall the same.

Yes, I think there are just way to many lazy people out there who refuse to learn new stuff. Or some people who do learn new stuff, but still believe that their favorite is D20. Though, I'm sure most of these people started with D20. If not, who knows...and who cares.

This is a free world. Do what you want. Who cares what your stupid neighbor does. Just play what you want, and move on.

Or else, I'll slice your throat with my dagger, to shut you up.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
And yes, I know Mongoose has published a non-D20 product and I have to say that it's on my list of products not to get.
But, is it on your "list of products not to get" because you don't like the setting or just because it doesn't use your type of twenty-sided dice?

I get the feeling that if you had been roleplaying twenty years ago you would have been frightened to come out of the cupboard - all those games out there with all those different systems... and only Chaosium's Basic system offering a generic cross-company cross-genre rules system. Somehow we all gamed an awful lot and survived the process of needing to learn a new game every six months (or however long it took to find a new campaign you wanted to try out!). In the late 80's, I played Call of Cthulhu (d100), AD&D (all the dice), Warhammer (d6), PARANOIA (d10) - all great games in their own way, all great systems (with weaknesses and strengths of their own)... and somehow we survived and had great fun playing games.

Really, it isn't that hard to break free of d20 and try something new... and PARANOIA's 1d20 is just as much fun to play with as d20's d20.

Though I am from the US, I have always rather enjoyed "British" english, in print and speak.

But then I was born and bread on Doctor Who, so there you go!

I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I am simply pleased the books are so well done.

Good job Mongoose!

Razuur

In the words of Eddie Izard, the 'transvestite-exectuiv':

"Yes, there are many differences between our languages .. Americans prounounce herb as 'erb', while we British pronounce it as 'herb', well, because there is a f***king 'h' in it."

And Bob voiced the 'w' in 'sword'.

Americans often mispronounce foreign or foreign-seeming words through misguided attempts at authenticity: homage as if it's French, whereas it's been naturalized in the English language for longer than there's been an America; pronouncing foreign or foreign-derived words (like 'beret') with the accent on the last syllable (because it sounds exotic?).

But Bob was an American and a Texan writer, and a very literary one in that his sentences are critical to the effect of his work. Anglicizing his spelling and punctuation would be as wrong as changing his grammar (it would be just the same the other way around).

Hey now!!!! :evil:

A beh-ray (beret) is a hat and a buh-ret (baret) is a hair clip little girls use.

ah-mij (homage) is for coloquial use as in "to pay homage" and is usually dependant on those words, and essentially used as a ...erm...gerund...I think. An oh-mahj (homage) is a noun.

Granted, we Yanks have mucked around with the English language for 200+ years and done it over pretty good. However, at least I only put my foot in a boot and "lift" is just a verb.

:wink:

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
This is a free world. Do what you want. Who cares what your stupid neighbor does. Just play what you want, and move on.

Or else, I'll slice your throat with my dagger, to shut you up.
A little hostile aren't you.

This is Conan! Not some pansy little WOTC game. So, lift up your swords and strike down the weak!

slowalrus said:
In the words of Eddie Izard, the 'transvestite-exectuiv':

"Yes, there are many differences between our languages .. Americans prounounce herb as 'erb', while we British pronounce it as 'herb', well, because there is a f***king 'h' in it."

just as I'm sure EdIzz pronounces the "u" very clearly in "armour" or "labour".

:lol:

I'm British, but I know other British people who drop the H on "Herb"... Maybe we're becoming Americanised, or maybe I just need to drop a box of RPG hardbacks on their heads...

On the d20/non-d20 debate, I'd like to add is that at the end of the day the rules aren't supposed to be the game, the roleplaying is. This goes both ways - for the d20 players, they shouldn't really suffer by having to learn new rules, as they're still playing the same game, just rolling different quantities of dice and checking against different stats in different ways - if your game has degenerated into something where you're worried about the rules more than the roleplaying, you're in the wrong game.

But the same argument works for the "I don't want to play the same game all the time" camp. Babylon 5, Judge Dredd, D&D, Lone Wolf - four completely different settings, different games, and the mechanics behind them shouldn't get in the way of that. If anything, using the same mechanics should streamline things to the point where you're concentrating on the roleplaying instead of the roll-playing.

To both sides of the argument - the rulebook is not the game, the acting out of a fictional part in a collaborative story is. The rulebook is simply the physics that sit behind the game, in the same way as it shouldn't really matter if the computer game you're playing is written in Pascal or C++ (at which point a programmer somewhere is probably going to blast me for thinking Pascal can be anywhere near as fast as C++...). Apart from the background material in it, the rulebook doesn't help you play, it just gets in the way. A good rule of thumb is: the less you need to refer to it during a gaming session (holding all the other players up), the better the game you've bought. d20 rules can help a lot here by meaning you don't have to relearn the basics of combat, but that doesn't mean theres not better, easier to learn systems out there. Standards are good, but we shouldn't lose track of the question of whether we've standardised on the wrong thing.

Finally, I'd like to add that probably 80% of what I like about d20 is that it's standardising things. Not wanting to learn another system isn't laziness, it's not wanting stupid rules to get in the way of real roleplaying (which is done with the mind and the voice, not with rulebook and dice). I'll never be able to take an argument seriously if it's that RPGs should have different rules bases (but different variants - yes). I'm more than willing to listen as to why d20 might not be the best standard.

I like the Brityish English as it denotes more of a fantasy feel for me. Even you blighters spell all our words wrong and talk funny...

<ducks>

:lol:

Sutek said:
just as I'm sure EdIzz pronounces the "u" very clearly in "armour" or "labour". :lol:

Well actually, I'd say that we do pronounce it differently because of the u.

I'd pronounce armor as are-more.

But I pronounce armour as are-mer.

:)

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
Odovacar's Ghost said:
This is Conan! Not some pansy little WOTC game. So, lift up your swords and strike down the weak!

Funny, I thought this was a message board. The game is what I play when I'm not at work.

A message board is always a battle ground. Usually with just words. Sadly.

Back