Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
lastbesthope said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:
crazy_cat said:
Godwins law proven once again.

No, its the first justiied use of the tactic on the internet.

In response to your original response to Ravelli, I do not think that word means what you think it means, or if it does you're using it wrongly.

On amore serious note (puts moderator hat on) keep it civil, everybody!

LBH

I am! No one understands my humour is all! Youre all fascists! :lol:

Can't you all go in a pub (or a bar) and discuss "openly" about pro and contra this or that system?
I'm sure it would end in a gigantic brawl in pure Howardian tradition.

The King said:
Can't you all go in a pub (or a bar) and discuss "openly" about pro and contra this or that system?
I'm sure it would end in a gigantic brawl in pure Howardian tradition.

Oh, yeah? Sez who? :lol:

So let me get this straight.

This whole plan was underway... and someone decided to pull the plug.

Please give me a name, adress, a plastic bag and some duct tape.

And a battleaxe.

Mr. Sprange,

IMHO You have no reason to apologise for anything. For what I've seen until today, I've received a fine product and met some fine people here in this forum. The system is great, the rules are flexible and the game is fun. And I've NEVER been part of an RPG forum where the producers and writers of said game were easily available.

I won't stop playing Conan. Period.

Curse you, Nemedian dogs! I was a man before I was king!

I started with Conan OGL 1st edition, the extremely flawed book before the Atlantean Edition appeared. I mailed in to Mongoose to get the Atlantean Edition through the special deal they had made to do so. So you can see, I have been with the game since its very beginning.

CPI I think made it plain as day. That they thought the switch to Runequest was a massive disservice to the fans who already plunked down a couple of thousand US dollars for the OGL Conan books. That they would be essentially left flailing in the dust.

Also, the leather cover issue. Matt didn't mention whether Conan OGL would be getting a leatherbound rulebook, or only if that would have been Runequest. If it were Runequest only, it would have been a pretty big middle finger by Mongoose to the people who have supported this game line through two editions.

Fact is: If Conan was switching to Runequest exclusively, the game line would lose me as a customer. As I have no interest in Runequest at all. Same issue with Babylon 5 and Judge Dredd going to Traveller. I like the properties but loathe Traveller. Instant lost customer.

Runequest (and Traveller for that matter) has always been a niche game. It hasn't sold anywhere near as widely as OGL games have. And being a niche game means that support of it would bring quite a bit less of a profit margin to Mongoose and CPI. And yes, that's a serious concern for a company like CPI. A simple matter if, on the business level, it would be worth CPI's time and resources to allow to exist.

Also thrown into this is the fact that the person in charge at CPI actually worked for Chaosium, and saw for a fact how much commercial viability for that company Runequest actually had to the very company who originally created it.

flatscan said:
Darrin Kelley said:

Flatscan pops a bag o' corn and awaits the inevitable retaliation from all the RQ fans on the board.

The opinions of the Runequest fans don't matter to me one little bit. Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been. Anything else is speculation and wishful thinking.

Darrin Kelley said:
Also thrown into this is the fact that the person in charge at CPI actually worked for Chaosium, and saw for a fact how much commercial viability for that company Runequest actually had to the very company who originally created it.

Good point!

Darrin Kelley said:
flatscan said:
Darrin Kelley said:

Flatscan pops a bag o' corn and awaits the inevitable retaliation from all the RQ fans on the board.

The opinions of the Runequest fans don't matter to me one little bit. Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been. Anything else is speculation and wishful thinking.

Hee. The thread was waning a bit. Stoke more coke on the fire!

:roll:

Darrin Kelley said:
Conan OGL has been the game that mattered for two editions. That's where the money has been.

...'has been'...being the operative words to describe Conan's relationship with OGL as far as I am reading d'em bones. Paradoc gut said they are ope to a new system but wnat that choice/decision to occur with a renewal of the license to ensure some longevity with the new game. A new Conan rpg game will come, it won't be OGL.

Thats just the way of it mate. It WILL be Savage worlds, RQ, an adaptation of Song of Fire and Ice engine by Green Ronin, adaptation of Warhammer 3rd ed by FFG (as long as that does well) or something else. Thats what d'em bones are saying...

You might well get a 'swan song' of OGL releases from Mongoose over the next year tho so buck up.

Yep, them OGL games have been dead for years now!

(Intentionally averts gaze away from OGL games such as Fantasycraft, Pathfinder, Mutants & Masterminds) Yes sir, nothing to see here!

'Course that's the funny thing about readin' dem bones. It all comes down to the reader's interpretation...

Note: Could you be right? Yep. But it's a far cry from the forgone conclusion some people would like it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back