Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why its there the constant fuss around the system. Every system is playable, and in the end, the fun factor is not decided by the rules or system, but by the players. If d20 works for people, it doesnt mean, they are blind to the truth of MRQ, its just about the fact, they dont need it. The more you try to "enlighten" them, the more they will refuse it.

For example i prefer for myself heavy customized version of shadowrun system. But im too lazy to convert conan for myself, so i stick with d20.

I must admit that as someone who plays RQ I find this constant needling about systems to be pretty absurd so I'm glad it's gone private. As far as I can tell, Mongoose's handling of Conan as a d20 system is the most successful yet and kudos to them for that. A lot of people play d20 games and enjoy them and I've got no interest in banning their dice.

The license situation seems fairly straightforward in many ways. There is a movie coming out and Mongoose's license expires next year. Mongoose want to expand what they do to take advantage of the movie and, if you read between the lines, to cross-promote the new edition of RQ. The license holder may or may not have given a provisional go-ahead but they clearly feel that they can make more money by opening up the licensing process.

I suspect also, from reading between the lines, that Mongoose are letting d20 games wither on the vine and Conan is their last d20 product. Presumably they think that they're not going to make enough money off d20 products. Traveller has been a big success for them so I'm guessing that they want to take what they learnt from that and apply it to RuneQuest. I'm not entirely convinced that RQ has done all that well sales wise which is presumably why they wanted to piggy-back the new edition on Conan. I suspect that the current situation has knocked back a lot of their plans, not just Conan.

If I could make a guess, right now they're scouring Rebellion group's archives for a decent fantasy setting that they can launch quickly using RQ in a nifty leather binding. Aka Slaine. Or else we may see Elric given the treatment.

None of this is particularly good news for d20 Conan but Mongoose are pretty hard-headed on the business front and if they don't feel they can make money keeping three major house systems in print then they won't.

I think your reasoning might well be right.

Actually I'd by the proposed leather-bound MRQ if it were a Gloranthan setting, the same era as original RQ. For purely sentimental reaons. I loved Glorantha. The de-Gloranthaisation of RQ when AH got hold of it (as well as issues with that edition of the rules which were both steps forward and backward in my view) was a pity.

(I do know Glorantha has been 'resurrected', I'm just stating my nostalgic preference).

malric said:
I dont understand why its there the constant fuss around the system. Every system is playable, and in the end, the fun factor is not decided by the rules or system, but by the players. If d20 works for people, it doesnt mean, they are blind to the truth of MRQ, its just about the fact, they dont need it. The more you try to "enlighten" them, the more they will refuse it.

For example i prefer for myself heavy customized version of shadowrun system. But im too lazy to convert conan for myself, so i stick with d20.
Yes, it is up to players and GMs how enjoyable the game is in the end. But the system has a huge impact on how hard work it will be to make an enjoyable game.

Personally I would have wanted to see Conan using Praedor system :) Anyway, I pretty much agree that people have preferences to game systems and tend to gravitate towards what they know. I have not played D&D since 1st edition AD&D. I never got around to run 3.x version and so I was far from familiar with d20 system.

Still, I went and bought Fantasy Craft yesterday although it is a d20 system. As a GM it's strongest point (so far) seem to be how NPCs are handled. If that would have been implemented to d20 Conan, I would have been pretty happy camper.

Deleriad said:
I must admit that as someone who plays RQ I find this constant needling about systems to be pretty absurd so I'm glad it's gone private.

I suspect also, from reading between the lines, that Mongoose are letting d20 games wither on the vine and Conan is their last d20 product. Presumably they think that they're not going to make enough money off d20 products.

If I could make a guess, right now they're scouring Rebellion group's archives for a decent fantasy setting that they can launch quickly using RQ in a nifty leather binding. Aka Slaine. Or else we may see Elric given the treatment.

None of this is particularly good news for d20 Conan but Mongoose are pretty hard-headed on the business front and if they don't feel they can make money keeping three major house systems in print then they won't.

Was I needling about systems? Im sure you consider yourself to be the voice of reason, but even your mild statements about D20 is probably enough to inflame certain gamers in the extreme D20 camp. I was merely talking about games, on a games forum, so I sincerely hope you werent blaming me for 'needling'.

Its been said that if Mongoose can maintain the licence, they would make a MRQ Conan. Despite everything they have said before. Are we allowed to discuss that, without being considered flamers? Yes? Good.

This is the Conan board. Its NOT the D20 Conan board, (though some seem to be under that impression). Its just the Conan board.

Everyone got that? Good. Lets move on, shall we?

SnowDog said:
Still, I went and bought Fantasy Craft yesterday although it is a d20 system. As a GM it's strongest point (so far) seem to be how NPCs are handled. If that would have been implemented to d20 Conan, I would have been pretty happy camper.
Yes, Fantasy Craft is quite nice. And speaking of implementations of d20 Conan, I am in the process of re-tooling its class system (actually, I am going to remove it at all) since I have a bunch of new players interested in trying d20 Conan, but they are not keen about classes, and they quite like d20 Call of Cthulhu, which is more skill-based. This should implement nicely the idea that Hyborian Age heroes have a wide set of proficiencies, but without the boundaries of classes. Mimicking the d20 Call of Cthulhu system, I used the "pulp adventures" idea and defined two broad meta-classes, Defence Option and Offence Option characters. In this way, creating an high level PC/NPC is a piece of cake. I will also make sorcery more widely available and without the limits of Scholars or Dabblers; though it will become more dangerous, as even just learning a spell can cause Corruption, with a severity dependent on the sorcery style. I want sorcery closer to Call of Cthulhu in terms of wierdness and feel.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
This is the Conan board. Its NOT the D20 Conan board, (though some seem to be under that impression). Its just the Conan board.

As far as I know this is the board for the Mongoose Conan Role Playing Game.
I do not know if you noticed it...but that game is actually d20.
If you want a more "Conan" forum, go to the Conan properties forum.
Plans for other systems just failed and, at least for the moment, Conan d20 is the only Conan game by Mongoose.
Maybe this system will die in a few months, or maybe not, but it is still the only official system now.
This does not mean we cannot discuss about other systems.
I really do not understand the "flame" problem.
If you (or others...since it looks like you play d20) do not want "flames", do not start throwing shit at the Conan d20 system, but politely support the bloody RQ.
Anyway, if people start "throwing shit" here...I simply do not care.
This is a place for discussion and to me, I've never heard the real authorities in this forum (Mongoose people) censuring anybody, deleting posts because they were "flame-bringers".
If people insult others' mums and daddies, that's a problem, but if you insult Conan d20 (which I like) supporting Conan RQ (which I dislike) I can do only 2 things: answer you or not going here.
This place is MADE FOR DISCUSSIONS, flames or not.

I agree in part. Obviously, I like both D20 Conan but probably have a preference for a RQ version. NOT because I hate D20, OR that I hate people who like D20, I just think it wouls be a better fit. Thats just MY OPINION. I dont get offended if people disagree.

I understand that constant talk about MRQ and Conan can get a little boring, but, if so many people keep talking about it, it probably means something, doesnt it?

Anyway, you can call RQ a dogs turd if you wish, at least I wont get all hissey about something like that.

BUT, this IS the Conan forum, and Mongoose have had plans at least, to produce a MRQ version, and even, one of their freelancers has already done a MRQ version of Conan anyway, so they must agree somewhat with the idea of a MRQ Conan, mustnt they?

Yes, reguardless, this is a Conan forum, IT IS NOT A PRESERVE OF D20 PLAYERS TO VETO OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS. This board is for people who want to talk about any aspect of Conan they wish and I have no idea why a minority wishes to censor reasonable comment about anything. It is NOT their board. It belongs to EVERYONE who wishes to comment.

I was wondering if I would by a new system Conan. And it didn't take mne very long to come up with the answer. Which is no. But it bothered me why that was (because i like the setting).

But I now know why, or at least have a parallel. I loved Glorantha and original RQ. And I was gutted when AH ditched the setting. But here's the thing. If a company (ICE say) had come along and revivied the setting, but for a different rules-set, I'd not have transferred. I simplyn had too much invested already. Both in terms of supplements, but also in characters. It's that kind of sentimental attachment that would make me go Conan %ile or Conan SW, no thanks. Might not be terribly rational, but there it is.

When Glorantha died, we went straight to CoC (which had already replaced D&D as our 'other' game) and picked up with MERP as a bit of a change.

So I guess we might go back to CoC (as there's even more material for it now), or maybe look at something else. But not a different-system Conan. Unless maybe they could refine SW enough to make it seem better to me. Characters who were less... well... limited.

Demetrio said:
I was wondering if I would by a new system Conan. And it didn't take mne very long to come up with the answer. Which is no. But it bothered me why that was (because i like the setting).

But I now know why, or at least have a parallel. I loved Glorantha and original RQ. And I was gutted when AH ditched the setting. But here's the thing. If a company (ICE say) had come along and revivied the setting, but for a different rules-set, I'd not have transferred. I simplyn had too much invested already. Both in terms of supplements, but also in characters. It's that kind of sentimental attachment that would make me go Conan %ile or Conan SW, no thanks. Might not be terribly rational, but there it is.

When Glorantha died, we went straight to CoC (which had already replaced D&D as our 'other' game) and picked up with MERP as a bit of a change.

So I guess we might go back to CoC (as there's even more material for it now), or maybe look at something else. But not a different-system Conan. Unless maybe they could refine SW enough to make it seem better to me. Characters who were less... well... limited.

Good points.

I actually dont know if I would bother again with a different set of rules for Conan. I (we) tend to move onto something different after a little while anyway. I suppose all incarnations of D20 was the flavour of the early days, then all incarnations of BRP. These days, theres so much to choose from, you dont have to stick with one system/one game anymore.

I know what you mean about AH and Glorantha, but at the time there was probably more quality stuff produced for Glorantha than at any other time previous. But I still preferred RQ II to RQ III. Now, I can get nostalgic about RQ III over MRQ! Gamers! Theyre never happy. :)

I feel a nostalgia for Rolemaster coming on since someone mentioned it again (Snow Dog?). I think you could make a good Hyborian game with Rolemaster...hmm...

Oh, and when I say I may not 'bother' with a different version of the game, I mean play it to any extent. Id buy it, that goes without saying!

Well we played RQ for about 5 years, Cthulhu for maybe 8 (with overlap), MERP/Rolemaster for a year (concurrent with CoC). Oh and AD&D off and on for a bit at the start (though we played RQ first).

They were our only real campaign based games. Other stuff kind of dabbled with but never really got into.

But in my second rping incarnation we've played CoC (for old times sake), Serenity (because we loved Firefly, and the system wasn't actually as crap as everyone made out, nor is it in fact a SW ripoff as some believe) and Conan.

I think we would have gone on longer with Conan than we now will... need published adventures...

msprange said:
BTW, keep the positive comments coming - they are being compiled :)
Speaking as someone who has spent well over a thousand dollars on Conan material, all of which has fed back to the license holders, I can assure you I would have snapped up any and all RQ and system-less material Mongoose would have produced.

The license holder has simply shut down another revenue stream for themselves by this action, to their own detriment, and to the detriment of fans of Robert E. Howard.

Wonder if they will screw over DarkHorse next.....

francisca said:
msprange said:
BTW, keep the positive comments coming - they are being compiled :)
Speaking as someone who has spent well over a thousand dollars on Conan material, all of which has fed back to the license holders, I can assure you I would have snapped up any and all RQ and system-less material Mongoose would have produced.

The license holder has simply shut down another revenue stream for themselves by this action, to their own detriment, and to the detriment of fans of Robert E. Howard.

Wonder if they will screw over DarkHorse next.....

I do not believe that is how it works. Matt already posted that the license holder is paid regardless if they produce one book.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
Deleriad said:
I must admit that as someone who plays RQ I find this constant needling about systems to be pretty absurd so I'm glad it's gone private.

I suspect also, from reading between the lines, that Mongoose are letting d20 games wither on the vine and Conan is their last d20 product. Presumably they think that they're not going to make enough money off d20 products.

Was I needling about systems? Im sure you consider yourself to be the voice of reason, but even your mild statements about D20 is probably enough to inflame certain gamers in the extreme D20 camp. I was merely talking about games, on a games forum, so I sincerely hope you werent blaming me for 'needling'.

Its been said that if Mongoose can maintain the licence, they would make a MRQ Conan. Despite everything they have said before. Are we allowed to discuss that, without being considered flamers? Yes? Good.

Everyone got that? Good. Lets move on, shall we?

*sigh* I wish you would move on. Deleriad's post was eminently reasonable, far more so than your hysterical reply, which I find rather arrogant and obnoxious.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
crazy_cat said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:
Ravelli

Fascist.
Godwins law proven once again.

No, its the first justiied use of the tactic on the internet.

In response to your original response to Ravelli, I do not think that word means what you think it means, or if it does you're using it wrongly.

On amore serious note (puts moderator hat on) keep it civil, everybody!

LBH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back