Close Blast Doors and Activate Defence Grid...

Why bother adding more complications for precise

-1 For CBD
+1 For precise
So precise can still cause crits, unlike regular weapons, just less often

Because if CBD was a way to stop crits, you'd never take your ship off it. Crits can be game winners and losers, especially for big ships.

I really like the CBD causing a -1 on the Attack Table (with a 6 still being a critical unless you're using an E-mine). This is ridiculously simple and may even work!

Greg is right. This is a god-awful idea that only magnifies Close Blast Doors even more. The implications are spectacular. For example, the Dilgar could kiss MoD goodbye, they'll never get to use it. Good luck piercing that GEG with small fire. And absolutely, what the Vorlons, Ancients, and Shadows need (because they can't Close Blast Doors .... they have none!) is to actually be more susceptible to criticals than the younger races.

This idea needs to be binned immediately.

Ignoring crits would be a very bad thing.
If you went with 1-2 bulknead , 6 for crit for normal weapons, 1 for precise & 6 for crit & 1/2 AD, I'd still reckon that it would need a CQ7 check instead of auto.
You could even still give precise weapons 5-6 for crits if it's going to unbalance things too much.
Maybe one day we will precise & super precise traits with precise always does normal hits & crits on 6 & super precise as the way precise is now.

Be careful whenever you assign a CQ rating to a Special Action that is this important. Always ask the following questions:

Does it contribute to balance problems if the Vree and ISA can use it better than everyone else?

Does it contribute to balance problems if the pak'ma'ra can't use it as well as (most) everyone else?

Just want to make sure everyone thinks this thing through very carefully. If we get something like this implemented in any release (P&P or otherwise), we won't have a chance to fix it for almost a whole year.

personally I'd like to see it toned down a bit or have a more negative aspect (frankly I would prefer it if it was MORE effective at stopping damage but stopped ALL firing (though again arguably thats penalising bigger ships with more weapons more heavily but then again they dont have to USE it ;)).

The main reason I really dont want to see it removed or toned down is that in 2nd ed most things have been upgunned a bit and a few races in particular (Dilgar and Centauri particularly come to mind) have so much focused firepower they can bring to bear that ships NEED this option to stand any chance of not just getting vapourised instantly!

ps. Thats not a 'Dilgar and Centauri' are overpowered whine by the way, I LIKE them like that, I just think that having fleets of that style necessitates some things like CBD to counter it somewhat :p

l33tpenguin said:
I mean, it seems doubtful, based on show evidence, that the White Star has blast doors. Marcus would still be alive if the WS had blast doors and had them closed...
Umm, they took a direct hit to the bridge. Close Blast doors wouldn't have helped...
The only reason he lasted 2 more episodes was that it was debris and not a weapon that did the hitting.

l33tpenguin said:
Understandable. However, the idea was set forth specifically as a balancing issue. It has already been stated that CBD is *overpowered* on certain ships. eliminating access to this ability in ones that it is reasonable for, removes (or at least adjusts) the imbalance.

It's a rather hamfisted way of doing it. Chnaging it or eliminating it outright would be infinitely preferable.

Target said:
I like the half AD idea but i would change the save being 5+ to make the type of hit roll 1-2 bulkhead & 6 still a crit & 1 bulkhead & 6 a crit for precise. No more rolling lots of dice for hull damage & then crew damage. Far quicker & less complicated.
Agreed too! Half AD, and bulkheads on 1-2 instead of just 1 (precise bonus is unaffected, still gives +1 to the roll).

Another suggestion for CBD! that has been made amongst the playtesters is that Slow-Loading weapons don't count as a weapon for the purposes of CBD, or don''t reload during CBD.

that fixes their frequent use on the Demos, possibly bones the dag Kar, and does nothing to fix their effect on the WS. That might prove too unbalanced in theory, but I'm happy to have a go at that or any of the other ideas.

A little idea would be to make CBD are race specific action. Shadows/Vorlons/Ancients cannot use it so why not other races be involved. It can only be used by a Fleet which would actually have blast doors on their ships.

I cannot see in my mind ships like the Gaim having blast doors because they have an insect hive mind and the whole is better than the one. They mass produce drones and that mind set I would expect to be linked to their overall mind set. Same with the White Stars and Minbari ships they do seem very open when they walk around them.

I like the idea of nixing the save roll by just increasing the harmless bulkhead hits, but I don't think allowing precise weapons to ignore CloseBlast Doors is a good idea. Against fleets with lots of long range precise weapons (looking at you, Minbari!) it would be useless untill you got close in. And close in to the boneheads is when you want to fire everything you've got!

I find I like the idea of increasing bulkhead as well (combined with change to 1/2 AD this sounds very good). I would really like to remove the extra die roll.

This is hardly much ado about nothing... the balance issues in the leveraging of this SA are very real and significant in play.

But no one is convincing anyone of anything...

Ripple

Ripple said:
I find I like the idea of increasing bulkhead as well (combined with change to 1/2 AD this sounds very good). I would really like to remove the extra die roll.

This is hardly much ado about nothing... the balance issues in the leveraging of this SA are very real and significant in play.

But no one is convincing anyone of anything...

Ripple

Significant? Hardly. Depends on ones dice luck. "The dice are the thing". Some games it can seem overwhelming. Other games, it seems a waste of time to even roll the dice. So yes, much ado about nothing.

Back