Centauri republic factbook

Bout time :D I was in stiches over the line Except me when you see me about the babylon 5 products it certainly does apply to this television series.

Bueller....................Bueller...................?

Are we going to see Centauri this month or will it slip into yet another month?

--- Rich

We are just waiting for this book's imminent arrival at our warehouse - will give you minite by minute updates!

We are just waiting for this book's imminent arrival at our warehouse - will give you minite by minute updates!

Minute!!!!!! Its been a minute!!!!! I have to say I'm really looking forward to this book and hoping for the best.

That and I'm starting up a game in the near future and have a player who want to be a Centauri player with all options available.

--- Rich

A Shrew? I just realized I'm a shrew.....definitely not a good sign.

I asked these two questions eariler but didn't get a reply.

My live campaign is in the middle of the Narn/Centauri War.

What is the latest best guess when it should be in stores?

How about the status of the Narn book?

From what I see we can't expect the Centauri book until sometime in March.

So, what the story?

Impatient Sidney

Is the Centauri Factbook still designated as arriving at the Mongoose Warehouse any day now? It seems like ur preview copies were sent by supersonic jet and the rest are on a rowboat off the coast of China. (I know that delivery speed is not under ur control, but thought id try asking anyway)

Hopefully it will actually be in the stores soon!

Crossing fingers, closing eyes, hoping I'll see my Centauri Fact Book when next I open them...

Drat! Didn't work. Oh well, guess I'll just have to learn to be more patient.

Thanks for putting up with my whining though.

I got no problems with waiting so long as teh product doesn't look thrown together.
Way too many companies are doing just that, throwing out product after product just so they can say "We're on time!"
I'll always take quality over punctuality.
So long as it is not delayed for Quarters rather than months....

OK...

Got it, read through it...

...and...

...it's GOOD!!!

There are a few little things that don't quite seem logical, but the rest is great. It's like the Minbari book with a bunch of ideas thrown in for refinement - this time there Are names for every "starship picture" so even those who're new to B5 gaming will from now on know how a Kutai gunship or Covran scout looks like; an suggestion that popped up here on the forums (for all you doubters - Mongoose does indeed pay attention to their customers feedback!). There are of course the expected starship & ground vehicles descriptions and planetary info pages, as well as nice prestige classes, sample characters, history and everything else people have come to expect from Mongoose factbooks, with a lot of nice centauri specific stuff thrown in (status and it's effects, houses, and a section for every centauri player who wants some subtle chemical influence to apply in his dealings... :wink: ).
(See August, this time I remembered to do the praise before going on to the things that annoyed me a bit - much less of that then the last time though)

There are a few things that bug me though...
- a minor one is that some ships changed more then I'd have liked from B5W, so much that they quite lost their "sense" (Centurion shrinking to a size roughly half that of a Vorchan, while retaining it's cruiser level armament, etc.). However, there were a few alterations that I fully approve of - like the Altarian loosing it's fighters (I had always thought that it was packing a little bit too much in the hull).
- more annoying is that noone thought to correct the logical boo-boo that made some centauri weaponry much less effective then their much lower-tech EA counterparts (Battle Laser vs. Heavy Laser - the BL Still has the same range, but half the damage of the HL... The comment "...but the centauri have refined the laser beyond the capabilities of most other races" made me laugh though.)
Well, maybe those will be reviewed when the space combat game comes out.

More annoying was the one big continuity error I found in the history section...
Let's see... what do you people think of this:
C.E.2361 would be around 2257 a.d. (the time of B5 as stated in the factbook history)
That'd mean the last Shadow War (Valen's war) was around C.E.1350 or so (as stated in the show: "a thousand years before our time").
Now...
The factbook history states that the Technomages may have first visited the Centauri somewhere around C.E.450: and were there for sure at C.E.500 when the Shoggren came (if I extrapolate the date correctly from the text - it mentions the first TM's may have arrived as early as the invasion of the Centauri against the Xon, which must have been shortly after the forming of the Centaurum at C.E.440, and also gives the end of the Xon at C.E.800, and mentions that was 300 years after the first Emperor Kiro who had that "Technomage Endorsement"; which combined with the mention that they departed after that gets us the second date).
However, in the TM trilogy we can read that they were first created as Shadow-Allies only a short while before Valen's shadow war when the Taratimude made their deal with the Shadows, fought in that war and only after that war established the techings that made them the "Technomages" as we know them in B5 times.
That'd mean there were technomages on Durana (=Centauri Prime) 850-900 years or so before they were first created!
What's more, this first meeting also had the Shoggren, who from the way it is described in the factbook tried to invade Durana, and were repulsed by the pre-industrial age Centauri aided by the 'Mages. Who else here has a problem with picturing early centauri cannons beat off a full scale invasion from space faring aliens?

Personally I'd do a little rewriting of that history for my campaigns...

In my opinion the best way to handle this one would be taking the Shoggren/Technomage incident out of the history entirely until the time it could have happened; the Xon war would then end directed by the Centaurum instead of an Emperor, letting the Centauri come up with crude space flight on their own in C.E. 1134 (the "War of Heaven's Wrath" preceeding that then being about possession of nuclear weapons instead of salvaged alien tech), and slowly start a space program (it took us humans some decades too between the first space flight and the capability to do it routine). Or maybe add a century or two to that date, to let them go from pre-industrial to early space age in a more realistic time set - no harm to the history there (in that case they'd just set their eyes to the stars with more vigor then we have done in our history so far).
And then in C.E. 1363, when the Centauri have barely established outposts on a moon or mayve even a few planets of their system, a Taratimude ship carrying some early Technomages enters the system pursued by a Shadow-loyal Shoggren ship or small task force (who want to punish them for deserting their masters cause after they got defeated by Valen's alliance). The 'Mages hide among the Centauri (who don't detect them as they already have the Stealth tech that allowed Galen to follow even the Excalibur undetectd), the Shoggren attack and are shot down by combined Technomage/Centauri forces (if one assumes the Shoggren have no such stealth tech the Centauri, not aware of the Technomages presence, would see the Shoggren as invaders, and invaders whose superior tech gets their early space fleet in deep trouble as the Shoggren see the Centaurti as allies of the Taratimude, blowing them apart to get at their intended target - until suddenly the Technomages pop up from empty space and help in the battle, catching the Shoggren in the flank while they're occupied with the Centauri ships - which of course gives the 'Mages a big reaction boost when they start talking with the Centauri after the Shoggren are defeated).
The Centauri now KNOW alien races with much better tech are out there, and this unites them more then ever before, and they choose one of their nobles - the one who made first contact with the 'Mages, and was endorsed by them - to be their first Emperor. The Technomages leave again (because if they'd stay more Shoggren or worse ShadowAllies might come for them), and the Centauri get a big tech boost and jump drive technology from a shot down Shoggren ship they discover (maybe also helped along by the 'Mages as payment - they could easily have explained the crystal jump drive to centauri engineers).
Add 150 years to the first inter-stellar colony (not C.E.1224, but now C.E.1374 - easily and quickly done once they do have a jump drive and interstellar-scale tech) and from then on the history is back on track! (with the Garmak/Minbari conflict at C.E.1591 or so, heralding the period of almost unlimited expansion for the Centauri)

That's all. Everything else seems great at first glance. Thanks Mongoose and August for another great B5 book!!!

Thanks for the heads-up, Shadowscout.

The rest of us mere mortals await with baited breath and plenty of drool :wink:

The rest of us mere mortals await with baited breath and plenty of drool

You can say that again!! :lol:

Still it is good to hear that it has so many fun things in it. Now all we need to know is when it is hitting the shops (hint, hint to any Mongoose type people reading this...)

Shadowscout a couple of questions: -
Does it have any pics of the ground vehicles?
And are there any fleet compositions, like the Mimbari book?

DW

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

<insert Captain Kirkian/William Shatner-ian stunted speach>
I Can't Wait Much Longer!
Going to Go out Of my MIND!!!!
<End stunted speach>

Nope - seems Mongoose has not yet managed to liberate the few B5 ground vehicle CGI AoG made. I hope some day they will, or at least find a way to have them redone...

And are there any fleet compositions, like the Mimbari book?
Some, yes. Really nice ones too if you think about it - though they do suffer from the aforementioned ship reconfiguration (having "Dargan Cruisers" in the role of medium ships... Oh, well... if the GM in question prefers to go with the AoG ships he can easily take those groups as yardstick and find replacements for the changed ships...)

Again let me praise the advantages of pre-ordering everything from Mongoose directly! :p :D
But the shops shouldn't be too far behind... it's probably already being shipped to them... so don't despair, you'll all get your very own CRFB soon! :wink:
Meanwhile keep drooling for it - just like I do for the Narn book (Is it there yet? :wink: :? :roll: )

ShadowScout said:
Nope - seems Mongoose has not yet managed to liberate the few B5 ground vehicle CGI AoG made. I hope some day they will, or at least find a way to have them redone...

Now thats a shame. One thing really missing from the Minbari book was visuals of ground and atmospheric vehicles, and I think the Centauri book will be just as difficult to envision their vehicles as well.

Now thats a shame. One thing really missing from the Minbari book was visuals of ground and atmospheric vehicles, and I think the Centauri book will be just as difficult to envision their vehicles as well.
True.
Of course, those who know the vehicles from AoG's "GROPOS" have at least something to kick-start their imagination... I really hope one day the people at Mongoose will be able to do something in that regard for those who haven't had the chance to get their fills back then... but such cross-company license stuff is no easy matter, so I can't fault them for not managing it yet. But one day perhaps... maybe as d20-related revival of the aforementioned Wargame...

However, for the completely desperate, AoG's old Stock List is still available on the 'net, and there you can also find a few pictures of the miniatures they made... not much, but they can at least give you an general impression of how those vehicles look, and what style you could expect from the rest of those races stuff...

Hey there, ShadowScout. Glad to hear you enjoyed the book. I was not worried about this one; it went really well and the writing flowed nicely (especially for the intrigue and biology sections). Good to hear that came across to the reader.

As for the historical references (i.e. Shoggren), that is all drawn from 'canon' sources preapproved by JMS. If you are still having a hard time seeing the 'primitive' Centauri fight off the Shoggren with their lesser weapons, just consider the Shoggren the Backstreet Boys of the universe.

Or, as we have done in our home campaign, consider the possibility that some outside force (such as a rival of the Shoggren) wanted them to lose and sabotaged their invasion of Centauri Prime.

-August

Back