Centauri republic factbook

As for the historical references (i.e. Shoggren), that is all drawn from 'canon' sources preapproved by JMS.
Oh, as you can gather from my initial post, I am not so much worried about the references as the incontingencies (and it's not as if JMS always got his canon info right too - of course, in real life he just changed his mind, but things like the strange contradictionary tale of the "Drala'fi in cident" from S-2 and ItB make things really difficult for those who want a straight storyline in the B5 background...).
Most annoying is the fact that the (also JMS approved) TM trilogy gives the beginning of the technomages as during Valen's war, a thousand years before B5; while your "during pre-industrial period" visit has them appearing much earlier in the timeline. (And yes, of course I know that the real problem is the right hand not knowing what the left does - AoG fluff gave the centauri/technomage meeting almost a thousand years before the later TM trilogy set the creation date for the technomages -obviously the writer of that trilogy didn't read AoG stuff- but I had hoped you'd spot and correct that!)

If you are still having a hard time seeing the 'primitive' Centauri fight off the Shoggren with their lesser weapons, just consider the Shoggren the Backstreet Boys of the universe.
Still not enough. Early cannons just Can't beat off an space-tech race that Really wants to invade. I could see them surprise an small expidition - say, technomages flee to Durana and use centauri solders as allies to ambush a Shoggren landing party... but in no way the early centauri could harm shuttles with their weapons. Not without a lot of help from someone else...

Or, as we have done in our home campaign, consider the possibility that some outside force (such as a rival of the Shoggren) wanted them to lose and sabotaged their invasion of Centauri Prime.
That'd be possible - but mere sabotage could again only stop a small incursion, not an real invasion.
That'd require more outside intervention... which of course could have been possible too. However, in that case it would either have been seen by the Centauri in some way (either recognized as help, or mystified as divine intervention - like all Shoggren ships turing into glowing craters overnight), OR the intervention would have happened off-planet, destroying the invasion force before it was seen by the centauri, which would mean the centauri didn't even become aware of them.
It just doesn't add up - not for an real invasion attempt.

Of course, it may be that the tale has grown in the telling, and in really Was an small incursion... stopped by outside action...
...or maybe an invasion attempt, that was recalled - now That would work; the centauri couldn't beat them back with their tech, and a few technomages also couldn't do enough... but if someone else recalled the invasion because it's forces were needed elsewhere (like defending the Shoggren homeworld from some other race) it would seem to the early centauri that they fought them off...

And if one were to re-qualify a few things in the technomage trilogy... like the two or three sentences where they give Valen's war as the beginning of the technomages - and assumes another Shadow War (hey, that Do pop up every millenia or so), another thousand years before Valen's to be the one where the Taratimude made that fateful deal with the Shadows... well, then everything would make sense again.

Hmmm... Maybe someone at Mongoose -hint, august, hint- should at least make sure all that gets written into the TM book, to prevent at least "mongoose RPG internal info" to be contradictionary... a revised TM timeline as mentioned above and an section about the Shoggren conflict from "beyond the centauri's viewpoint" would be a Really nice touch...

One way the Centauri could have defeated the invaders (with help, of course) is if the invaders were distracted by another war. One which they were losing and figured they could deal with the primitive Centauri after they defeated the more dangerous enemy.

However, they were defeated or so badly hurt that they never continued their campaign against the Centauri.

Just my .02 Ducets.

Shadowscout: much obliged for the info on the book. Pity about the vehicle pics :( but I'm gald the fleets made it in! :D

Now all I have to do is contain myself unitl my copy gets here!!

DW

ShadowScout said:
And if one were to re-qualify a few things in the technomage trilogy... like the two or three sentences where they give Valen's war as the beginning of the technomages - and assumes another Shadow War (hey, that Do pop up every millenia or so), another thousand years before Valen's to be the one where the Taratimude made that fateful deal with the Shadows... well, then everything would make sense again.

Not sure if that would work, as the Technomage books are pretty clear on this. Wierden was the first and had been involved in the the war 1000 years before "current" events. I think that it will just have to be chalked up to a JMS sanctioned contradiction.

Matt

Eryx said:
ShadowScout said:
Does it have any pics of the ground vehicles?
Nope - seems Mongoose has not yet managed to liberate the few B5 ground vehicle CGI AoG made. I hope some day they will, or at least find a way to have them redone...

Now thats a shame. One thing really missing from the Minbari book was visuals of ground and atmospheric vehicles, and I think the Centauri book will be just as difficult to envision their vehicles as well.

Bruce would know better, but I believe that all of those files were destroyed per WB when AoG lost the B5 license. To the best of my knowledge (and I've badgered Rob and Bruce repeatedly) there is nothing of those files left. They would have to be recreated from scratch.

Matt

I downloaded a couple of pics from the AOG site which were nice but I want more! :lol:

I wonder whether they could just be done in sketch form, like the old Battletech manuals. That would save the hassle of doing up more CGI files and give us enough to describe to players when they are running away from them! :D

DW

wonder whether they could just be done in sketch form, like the old Battletech manuals. That would save the hassle of doing up more CGI files and give us enough to describe to players when they are running away from them!

Honestly, if they just did them in the sketch-format like they did the Ground Forces vehicles in the Earthforce Fact Book I'd be happy. I don't need fancy CGI.

Beyond that, I'd like to have seen some of the Belt Alliance ships in the EarthForce book get pictures too. I never played B5Wars and know nothing about these vehicles. I am also a visual player, I like to know what these ships look like... ;)

Note the Mongoose. I want vehicle pictures. :wink:

Traveller-61 said:
I downloaded a couple of pics from the AOG site which were nice but I want more! :lol:

I wonder whether they could just be done in sketch form, like the old Battletech manuals. That would save the hassle of doing up more CGI files and give us enough to describe to players when they are running away from them! :D

DW

Actually, it's almost as easy these days to make a CGI mesh of it then do it freehand with pen and ink (which in some ways takes more artistic skill). The other plus is that you then have it and can use it for artwork for many products afterwards. The final plus is that you can make nicer looking drawings which can impress the buyers.

Matt

nitflegal wrote:
Actually, it's almost as easy these days to make a CGI mesh of it then do it freehand with pen and ink (which in some ways takes more artistic skill).
What does the cost of the program to make a mesh?

ronbogard said:
nitflegal wrote:
Actually, it's almost as easy these days to make a CGI mesh of it then do it freehand with pen and ink (which in some ways takes more artistic skill).
What does the cost of the program to make a mesh?
There are many out there. For GROPOS, I'm not sure which program Leo Dunin used. Bruce Graw might know. I'd guess Lightwave 3D or 3D Studio Max.

Matt

This is the latest from Mongoose. I don't know why it wasn't posted in the Centauri book thread. It was dated 4 Mar 4:33 PM, if I remember correctly.

Sidney

Hi guys,

Latest word on the grapevine is that the Centauri book is about to arrive in the next shuttle to our warehouse.

In a moment of weirdness, it looks like Techno-mages is going to leapfrog Narn. . .

Traveller-61 said:

DW

In terms of sketches I have most of the Earth Alliance, Narn, Centauri and some Minbari done in a "3-View" format (i.e. from the front, side and top). These are identical to most of those sketches Agents of Gaming used on their SCS's. I know their identical since I gave the sketches to Bruce and Company to use.

--- Rich

well they are technomages.. as we all know they do use Shadow Technology to fuel there magic so id say the Tech realy is more advanced then what the NARN have... and all magic is an illusion that your mind thinks is real... and as we all know its very easy to fool a narn.. you just dont want to be around when they realise they have been snookerd.. :p

El Cid said:
Has the Centauri book gotten to the warehouse?

Sidney

UPS just dropped off my copy about 90 minutes ago. Giving it a look now and will get back when I can. Initially,...some extensive discussion on physiology and society, rules for prestige and what favors a centauri owes for that, some sub-races and selection of PrCs. Also an overview of Republic fleet and ground forces. Some good stuff, but for any who know me that was one of the first areas I looked at and I'm already scratching my head at some stuff. Again, more on that later. Right now though, gotta tackle unpacking all my gear after demobilization and coming back here to the Left Coast.

Back