BF Evo, future weapons

Aniyn said:
Ya ya ya, terrorists are bad. Can we get back to the subject at hand?

I guess I didn't think we had drifted off topic. I am not trying to say terrorists are good or bad. I am trying to point out tactics that the current terrorists are using on today's battlefield and some of the high tech responses the US military is using to that threat. If this game is trying to be a simulation of what the battlefield will look like in 2016 then there needs to be some discussion on how deception and confusion will factor into the game since terrorists will continue to be enemy number one in the foreseeabe future. If C3 is going to ignored then this game is really just another sci-fi title.

Perhaps, but you guys need to exercise some restaint when it comes to dealing with flame-bait posts, and getting into stupid arguments about impropable hypothetical situations. This isn't a Counter-strike tabletop game, and it will never be anything close to real life. You're going to know who the "terrorists" are because they're the models the other guys is going to put on his end of the table. And besides, there are 3 actual armies in this game, so saying that just because we're going to be fighting terrorists for the next 20 years in real life doesn't mean that's the direction this game could/should/will take.

Damn you all, you made me rant.

Here's something on display at a few expos:

SWORDSposter.jpg

And you could shoot it down with a .22 :lol:

Serioulsy though. Future weapons are just that, and I think it'll take a little more than 10-15 years to get most of the stuff in production in enough quantity to give it to the grunts. So maybe SAS and such elites may have 'em, but not your ordinary rifleman.

This has already been said, hasn't it?

Man, this is truly a wonderfull thread.

Please, everybody, post more links and pics concerning modern warfare.

I'm a novice concerning these things but it all seems interesting.

Maybe somebody could start a thread for the 4 known factions for the moment and post relevant stuff concerning weapons, tactics, organisation and such over there.

Let's keep at it

S

While a bit of a stretch for the near future (and also not a weapon), I thought those that hadn't heard might want to ponder this site:

http://www.emdrive.com/

Roger Shawyer is either spending his time on a pipe dream, or if it really works he will just maybe change life as we know it. He claims a reactionless drive is a workable reality, and he says he has a prototype, with a larger full test engine being made. This just happens to violate Newton's laws and conservation of momentum. So, either we have another crazy Brit on our hands , or the possibility of going to Mars in three months, not nine. Oh, and there was that little thing of making rockets, wings and wheels obsolete...

http://www.shelleys.demon.co.uk/fdec02em.htm

Who really knows right now, but someone will eventually find out I suppose.

The very slight connection to this thread was to make possible hovering vehicles with an improved version of the resonator, which the Germans have already made.

"Engineers in Germany have created superconducting resonators (for use in particle accelerators) with Q values of several billion, which Shawyer claims would equate to a thrust of 30kN per kilowatt, 'enough to lift a large car'."

The Wiki article is not very optomistic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Shawyer

Anything to do with that old chestnut, the Dean Drive? http://experts.about.com/e/d/de/Dean_drive.htm

Kristovich said:
And you could shoot it down with a .22 :lol:

Serioulsy though. Future weapons are just that, and I think it'll take a little more than 10-15 years to get most of the stuff in production in enough quantity to give it to the grunts. So maybe SAS and such elites may have 'em, but not your ordinary rifleman.

This has already been said, hasn't it?

Yeah, but it bears repeating. Plus, just because something is in development doesn't mean that it's being taken seriously as a deployable weapon system.

For instance, the US is considering a railgun on their next generation tank. This doesn't necessarilly mean that railguns are deployable yet; it just means that they're close enough to need to be considered. I seriously doubt they'll go with any form of DEW this time around, but they'd be remiss in their duties to not keep an eye on the development of them.

Actually....

Working for the Office of Naval Research (ONR), engineers at the laboratory fired a low energy shot, the first in a series of tests required to bring the facility online. Using a 90 mm bore launcher with a copper rail and a power plant capable of delivering 8 mega joules (MJ) of muzzle energy, a 2.4 kg projectile was fired at 830 meters per second, yielding an energy of 0.8 MJ.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/10/mil-061023-nns02.htm

They're expecting delivery in 2007 of 32 MJ Railguns....

There's quite a few of us who work for the defence establishment, it seems. I think LBH too is involved with a big defence contractor, and I'm involved in military R&D.

I guess miniature games attract our mindset.

Well, I'm impressed. Hiro, has anyone that's doing the tests decided to code-name the term X numbers of Mega-Joules as X numbers of "Micheal Jacksons"? It would sure keep the other side guessing for at least awhile, right? OK, I take it back. Sorry... :roll: :wink:

BuShips said:
Well, I'm impressed. Hiro, has anyone that's doing the tests decided to code-name the term X numbers of Mega-Joules as X numbers of "Micheal Jacksons"? It would sure keep the other side guessing for at least awhile, right? OK, I take it back. Sorry... :roll: :wink:

*shakes his head* They'd rather go with Mike Foley in that case, BuShips.

Back