Barbaric vs Civilized

IMHO NASA somewhat straddles the line between being a tool of the military and a government civilian agency. Sure they put the Hubble telescope into orbit and maintain it- but they also do the same for the Pentagon's spy sattelites too and if it came down to it, you'd know which payload would be dumped first in the interest of national security. Also, I stopped saying that war makes technology grow- it's crisis and conflict which doesn't necessarily mean war, but war is one of the bigger crisises you can have.

Damien said:
I'll point out that a HUGE amount of our 'useful technology' in the 21st and 20th centuries came from NASA - an entirely non-military organization (as far as we know, at least), and without the threat of any wars.

NASA is functionally the scientific, public research arm of the US Air Force, essentially. What they use is principles tested in military conditions, and then refine them towards scientific ends. I would nt' go as far as Raven to say that they are more or less military tools, but ther is a reason NASA gets it's money from the defense budget.

;)

Boosts in technology comes more during times of less money strangely enough. More inventions occured in America during and after the US Civil War than at any other point in human industrial history.

Also, folks, we got rockets from the Nazi's during WWII who were trying thier very darndest to lay the smack on Great Britain. NASA decided that was a great way to get stuff into orbit waaaayyyy later.

IMHO NASA somewhat straddles the line between being a tool of the military and a government civilian agency. Sure they put the Hubble telescope into orbit and maintain it- but they also do the same for the Pentagon's spy sattelites too and if it came down to it, you'd know which payload would be dumped first in the interest of national security.

In theory - I wouldn't disagree with you.

NASA is functionally the scientific, public research arm of the US Air Force, essentially.

I agree. But when I referred to 'military organization' I meant an organization with clear military value. I don't see any NASA scientists fighting naughty terrorists in space. . . yet. ;)

Sutek said:
Also, folks, we got rockets from the Nazi's during WWII who were trying thier very darndest to lay the smack on Great Britain. NASA decided that was a great way to get stuff into orbit waaaayyyy later.

That's what I said. 8) According to some of the stuff I have read the Nazis were trying to figure out how to make suborbital rockets toward the end of things- to bomb America. How much of that was real research and how much is sensationalism and/or propoganda I'll lead to someone who is better read in the subject.

Well, it was those guys who came up with those theories who eventually came to head up both the US and Soviet space programs after WWII and through the cold war. I have no real reason to doubt that it's less propaganda and more fact than fiction.

Besides, you think NASA or the US government would ever have let on that they had german scientists, perhaps former Nazis or even with loose/vague Nazi connections to the general public? It's not something that they'd want a cold war US citizento even find out.

Hello folks,

I've been gone for awhile, but could keep out of this :twisted: . I would say that the vast majority of socialogists, historians and archeologists all agree that a civilization that is united, homogenous and internaly stable and peaceful usualy stagnates. Sure there are exceptions (with humans there always are) but the VAST majority of civilizations that have advanced human knowledge were aggressive, imperialistic or fiercely mercantile. Some to the point of self destruction (the Mayans). Those that achieved complete stability (the Chinese after the rise of the Ming Dynasty) either stagnate or even retreat (The Ming Chinese turned their backs on a host of technologies they inherited or invented from the mechanical clock to deep water sailing ships). More importantly, it's not just who comes up with something, but who uses it to it's full potential. Often for this you need incentive. No higher incentive than saving you own kneck and stepping on the other guy before he steps on yours.

Example. Nearly all historians agree that while the bulk of Europes technology may have come from elsewhere, only Europe actually expanded, improved them and used them fully. China had the printing press but for 500 years afterwords 90% of the population was illiterate and still was into the 20th century. Within a few generations of Gutenberg's invention (much of the concept was Chinese, but much of the mechanical side was all his) much of the upper and middle classes (estimated by some as being 50%, I agree with others it was closer to 40%) were literate as were many craftsmen. This created a ever spiraling spreading of knowledge and invention fuelled by profit and war (in other words, competition) that led Europe to dominate the world in less than 200 years. If one nation in Europe didn't keep up with the Jones', the Jones' would conquer you. To pay for that army and promote trade you needed money, that meant more innovation. And thus it goes. Is it fair? Hell no, but as my Grandpa used to say: the First Rule of Life is "LIFE ISN'T FAIR!" Learning that boy will save you a host of disapointment." I also think it's good to point out that the bulk of us here live very safe lives in areas of the world shielded for "tooth and claw" as Kipling put it. It's easy to preach "competition bad, cooperation good," but it's rarely, if ever, as simple as that.

By the way, having lived cheek to jowl with a Mohawk, two Navajo (sons and grandsons of Marines) and a "full blood Mescarelo Apache" (as he always proudly acclaimed. The Navajos hated him), I can tell you this: they found the whole white man-guilt trip-noble savage-idealization of them a real hoot. As Frank (the Mohawk) put it once after a watching of "Last of the Mohicans": "We would have done to you whjat you did to us if the tables had been turned. Hell, we used to be friggen CANNIBALS man! It's what Mohawk means dude. Count yoursevles lucky you had smallpox, otherwise...." He then drew his finger across his thoat. He regreted the Iroquois got their empire just when the French-Indian Wars ended and made the Iroquois diplomatic methods useless. He also said the women had less power than many think. The False Face Societies were the real power in the end, and they were all male (think of them as the Freemasons). Plus men had final say on war and diplomacy, and from 1700 on the Nations were at war near constantly. Building a empire he added with a smile.
Buck and Henry, the two Navajo (Buck was his nickname. He brought home a deer a day for a week and got it. He finally admited he pulled it off by hanging around a salt lick! I never did get his first name, he never used it.) frankly admited that AIM promoted such BS becuase it was good propaganda and got their own people believing it. They point out that the "Nav Res." included all their ancestoral land and the "Great Ecologicaly Wise" indians has turned into a dust bowl by overgrazing and farming. Both activities they've been doing for centuries by the way, not just "White Man" stuff. On the other hand, they were a nation that did in fact get royally screwed over for no good reason. However, the guy that led the screwing, Kit Carson (and over his protests I might add, and they pointed out) interceded after the Civil War and god the Navajo their land back, and then some, as well as aid in rebuilding their flocks, orchards and fields.
Bage, our resident Apache and fight promoter (that man could start more bar brawls than anyone, including me, and that takes skill) summed up the Apache Wars succintly: "We was fighting for our God given right to war, rape, pillage, plunder, slave trade and rustle just as we always had." Sure they hunted and grew some crops, but it was never enough so they used the Pueblo Indians, and later the Mexicans as "cattle" to exploit as they saw fit. They raided, sold women (sometimes to the same villages they raided, Mexicans to Indians, Indians to Mexicans. Bage thought that hilarious, so did we.) and generaly took what they wanted. When the Whites showed up and said they couldn't raid across the border at will, and that killing Mexicans (at least without permission) was bad, the Apache got REAL pissed and did what they did best: Killed the enemy. To Bage it was as simple as that. Basicly his people were desert pirates, proud of it and defended their way of life, and lost. It didn't help that every Apache band would often kill another Apache on sight. He also laughed at movies that showed Apache charging into battle on horseback. He told us that to an Apache a horse was animal you could ride into the ground and then eat. No apache road into battle, he creeped. Charging was for idiots. He was our point man alot of the time. Not because he was the best at snooping and pooping (the best snooper, quiet wise, of the platoon was a dude from the ghettos of Atlanta!) but because he had the right brains for it. Bage never even THOUGHT about getting into a fight in the field: just getting in, finding the enemy, getting the intelligence, and getting out and taking as long as it needed. Charging was for idiots, especially when a knife in the ribs suited better.
Frankly, he would have liked the REH Picts. By the way, Bage is short for Bagely. He HATED his name :twisted:.

Point is, their is no such thing as a utopian society, there is always a snake in Eden and "Noble Savages" in ANY form never existd. Celts hunted heads, Vikings cut open chests, Aztecs sacrifced thousands a week on holidays, Incas put small children atop mountains, Shaka impaled thousands, Muslims conquered millions, Ghengis Khan killed millions, and we all know what Europeans did. I'n not exscusing ANY of this, but rather pointing out no one has a monopoly on violence or the lack of it. Rather, as many Historians now believe, a lack of violence shows a lack of opportunity or a VERY thin population (don't like you neighbor, then just move on). The more disparate groups you crowd together the more endemic violence you get, and the more violent the culture becomes. Europe was nothing special there.

To answer a question, I have not and will not use the last name of ANYONE I served with. Many are still in and often deployed and I'm sure you can understand my caution.

BTW Raven, sorry for my absence. I've been both out of town and busy with family matters. Not to mention I cought a nasty bug that laid me out for THREE FREAKIN WEEKS :shock: ! I'm back. I'll review our last couple of posts and answer you enquiries. Sorry again.[/b]

Oscar Wilde suggested that America was the only nation to progress from Barbarism to Decadence without Civilization in between. Villains in REH canon are technically decadent rather than civilized, using this yardstick. But in reality social complexity, modes of production and levels of technology to not confer any real moral or intellectual superiority to an individual or group, although they may well percieve one anyway.

For the game I GM;

Civilization is defined as a culture which has the surplus wealth, food and population to engage in non-survival related activities on a large scale. e.g. Stygia.

Barbarism is a culture that uses almost all of the above resources for survival. However, there is, climate/geography permitting, agriculture, permanent settlements, animal husbandry and non-animistic religion. e.g. Cimmeria.

Savage as barbarism, but no agriculture, permanent settlement, animal husbandry... Anamistic religions. e.g. Picts.

Also I do not see barbarians (or savages) as in any way militarily comparable to civilized powers. I'm thinking here of the analogy of the Roman Republic and early Empire vs. Celtic and Germanic tribes. While an individual barbarian warrior may well be a better fighter than his civilized counterpart, the discipline, organization, leadership and tactics and ability to mobilize resources give the civilized society and overwhelming advantage.

The exception would be when the barbarians are defending their homeland, can unite and live in an area of difficult terrain. e.g. Aquilonian invasion of Cimmeria, Roman invasion of Germania.

As for 'morality', I tend to portray barbarians (but not savages) as having less guile and being more straightforward than civilized folk. Less likely to be manipulative. I don't really have a good reason to do so, but it fits a stereotype, and I find that useful in creating memorable NPCs.

I have always typically styled "civilization" as drunkenness, debauchery, arrogance and greed. Typically, vice follows historical civilizations, but the meaning of the word has been typified by dominating cultures. Largely, the terms are archaic and connote the superior attitude of one cultural group over another. Rome is civilization, whereas the Gauls are savage barbarians. They weren't, having created a road system far ahead of the romans. Norse are the epitome of savage barbarians, with the practice described above of opening the chests of their already dead foes. However, that was due to their respect for the spirit and they felt this act facilitated ascendancy to Valhalla. Japanese culture referred to all outsiders as "gaijin" which translates to "barbarian" roughly, and they though that applied to everyone but themselves.

Civilization versus Barbarism is a question of perspective more than any sense of reality. One civilized person is another's barbarian...

...from a a certain point of view.

:wink:

The word "Barbarian" seems to imply too much; low levels of social complexity and technology, but also high levels of violence. These two do not necessarily go hand in hand, and everyone on this forum can point to examples of cultures of all levels of advancement that are either very violent or not very violent. The problem with the Hyborian Age, is that violence is so predominant over all humanity it's almost impossible to find a nation that isn't "barbarous" by 21st Century standards. Speaking Greek or Latin wouldn't save them.

Hey WAAK!
Majestic was referring to the etymology of the word "barbarian": the term bárbaros means (more or less) "non-Greek speaker".

Yes, the stem is derived from Greek, although technically Ancient Greek as opposed to modern Greek, but the word is now obviously in English.
This, however, suggests that "barbarism" is based on the (xenophobic) perceptions of the viewer. In this respect, "barbarism" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a guy in sandals and a short-cut dress started to call you names, wouldn't you be inclined to split his head open? A la "The Tower of the Elephant"?

Mark Dunder said:
Who was it that said "An army marches on it's stomache?

My vote goes to Napoleon. Just a guess.

I think it's the lack of war, that promotes civilization. War promotes creation of better killing machines. Inadvertently, technology is invented that helps civilization, after the end of a war, to advance. Africa has problems with food, more because of war than that they do not have a way of producing food. Farmers can't farm land that has a battle being fought on it. IMO.

Well he was the one who created canning, so its a good guess.

WeakAsAKhitan said:
The word "Barbarian" seems to imply too much; low levels of social complexity and technology, but also high levels of violence. These two do not necessarily go hand in hand, and everyone on this forum can point to examples of cultures of all levels of advancement that are either very violent or not very violent. The problem with the Hyborian Age, is that violence is so predominant over all humanity it's almost impossible to find a nation that isn't "barbarous" by 21st Century standards. Speaking Greek or Latin wouldn't save them.

Well, among barbaric societies, read: tribal/hunter-gatherer, we see considerably less specialization. If you are not a chief or a shaman, then you are one of the tribesmen, and an equal. If you want to eat, you have to kill something. There is no butchershop in Cimmeria unless its everywhere.

Killing something with your own hands every few days to survive probably would color your perception of life and death. We civilized folk sometimes forget how closely Death stalks each of us. ;)

"A farming community first and foremost....The clan tends cattle, sheep and goats, using the grazing lands nearby for pasture. Some small areas around the village are used for vegetables, and the clan supplements
its livestock with hunting in the forest." So says the Cimmeria sourcebook of the villlage Gorram. Hunting is secondary, and probably prompted only by a lack of resources, harsh winters and so on. It all sounds much more agrarian than hunter/gatherer. I wonder if Cimmerians might be more inclined to steal their neighbours livestock than hunt, and that a tradition of raiding and russling is what might institutionalise violence in their society. They're violent because they need to raid, rather than raid because they are naturally violent.

And it was Napoleon who said that an army marches on his stomach. Unfortunately even well-fed troops freeze in the Russian winter.

One thing that war had increased it medical knowledge. Usually in the form of trauma management. WWI brought us early advances in plastic surgery. Vietnam brought us the "golden hour", which is that the pt has the best chance of survival if brought to surgery within the first hour of being injured. And the Gulf war (1st) and Iraq has brought us a slew of new technologies to keep soliders alive. And unfortunatly has brought a slew of new techonologies to replace body parts. All off this is really advanced.

As a civilian paramedic (and ex Combat Medic) I wish that the civilian sector had all of the military medical technology. I would greatly give those in the emergency medical field a better chance to keep people alive after being in a trauma situation.

Ltlconf said:
Point is, their is no such thing as a utopian society, there is always a snake in Eden and "Noble Savages" in ANY form never existd.
There's no doubt that Howard didn't believe in the Noble Savage as normally understood; his savages were a mixed bag, bloodthirsty and chivalrous in turns.

Back