Atlantean edition vs. 1st. edition

Greetings all

I have now also joined the rank of having/playing Conan's RPG. I ordered the book (Conan's RPG) from Wal-Mart.com and received it for a little week ago. I knew that there was a new edition and expected to get that one, since there was no choice and the ISBN# 1904577695 is the same.

But was I wrong. I contacted Wal-mart to replace the old edition with the new one, but they had no idea what I was talking about. So now I'm sitting here with the old version, bought recently. Now that is not all bad, when I have reference to the Atlantean Changes, but still something is missing.

I noticed that a defense modifer tabel is not included and the bestiary is only noted as updated (corrected) plus an edition of the elefant. So I sitting with an incorrect book, I'm thinking. Just bought it, I'm thinking. I want it fix, I end up thinking.

So any advices on what to do? Would be nice to have the errata to the missing pages. Is those at all possible to get? Or what about just getting the statistics for the elephant, information about the missing feats to the rest of the creatures and exact details on how the SRD reward for perform is changed?

Hope somebody can help me, so I feel I got a fair buy.

Respectfully

Apollo

Sorry, can't help. But, I will add my voice to yours. Personally I think, at the very least, that a free pdf with all the changes made for the 2nd ed. be offered on the site for those of us who did drop all that money for the original. Because I won't be dropping another $50 CDN for the ATL ed.

Mongoose may still be offering the Sons of Cimmeria deall, where if you mail in a cut off corner of a certain page you get the Atlantean edition for a reduced price. Best bet is to contact Mark Humphries mhumphries@mongoosepublishing.com if this interests you. I know this isn't the solution you want but hey.

As for the Wal-Mart thing, given that you knew going in that there were 2 editions it would have been wise to contact them first to find out which one they had in stock. I recommend anyone else who distance buys the book to do the same with whichever supplier they intend to purchase from. There has to still be some of the original printings still eft out there in warehouses.

LBH

This is exactly why I am asking for an online errata of the 1st edition. Why should I buy a core book $ 50 (for the 1st edition) + $30 (for the reduced Atlantean edition).
An errata would make 4 pages at most.

lastbesthope said:
Mongoose may still be offering the Sons of Cimmeria deall, where if you mail in a cut off corner of a certain page you get the Atlantean edition for a reduced price. Best bet is to contact Mark Humphries mhumphries@mongoosepublishing.com if this interests you. I know this isn't the solution you want but hey.

As for the Wal-Mart thing, given that you knew going in that there were 2 editions it would have been wise to contact them first to find out which one they had in stock. I recommend anyone else who distance buys the book to do the same with whichever supplier they intend to purchase from. There has to still be some of the original printings still eft out there in warehouses.

LBH

Thanks for the information about getting an offer on a reduced price of the new information, but it will really depend on how reduced it is :).

As for contacting the seller first; Was done, but they were asking for a different ISBN number which is not possible since the two issues share the same. After that, they just said, we don't know (should have said; We don't care), and yes, I screwed up and took the chance by just ordering. I at that time did also believe that with the errata I briefly saw on Mongooses site, would be covered well, whatever version I had. Again, I was wrong and found out that some updated material was only covered briefly in that errata. Material I'm now without :? .

I would also be well-out satisfied with just an errata which cover the new material in such details, so when you combine the old version and the errata would sit with a "real" version.

Mongoose need to release an official and complete errata soon. Not because some people feel cheated. Not because the elephant stats are vital. No, no. They need to release it, just to keep King silent. :wink:

Can you not return the book, get your money back, and then order a copy from a company that knows more about RPGs than wal-mart?

"Mongoose may still be offering the Sons of Cimmeria deall, where if you mail in a cut off corner of a certain page you get the Atlantean edition for a reduced price. "

Uhm, why should I have to do that? I've already paid my money for the main book, which is in a sense defective (really hate to use that word for this product) and then pay a reduced price. Just doesn't seem fair. All Mongoose has to do is put out a 4-5 page printer friendly, free errata out that will patch the problems with the original book. It won't do anything to the sales of the ATLANTEAN Ed. as these people already have the main book and it would ease the hard feelings.

I must say I agree with a full errata being needed. It would cost me nearly as much to get the book through the SOC program (inc shipping) as it would to buy a new edition in Australia (assuming I could find a place that sells it).

I think that what Mongoose did with the SOC program was great, but it is only a small step to put up a full errata on the web site for the old edition.

Exactly. Moreover is shouldn't take too much time to do the errata.

Lucius said:
Mongoose need to release an official and complete errata soon. Not because some people feel cheated. Not because the elephant stats are vital. No, no. They need to release it, just to keep King silent. :wink:
LOL. I am asking, well demanding this errata for a long time now but never had anything nearing an answer. But how many do agree with me?

amazon.de offers the service of taking the old edition back and giving you you the new, if at the moment of your purchase the new edition is already released.

Maybe this hint helps some guys out there (I think the other amazon dependances handle this issue in a similar way).

Judge Walker said:
"Mongoose may still be offering the Sons of Cimmeria deall, where if you mail in a cut off corner of a certain page you get the Atlantean edition for a reduced price. "

Uhm, why should I have to do that? I've already paid my money for the main book, which is in a sense defective (really hate to use that word for this product) and then pay a reduced price. Just doesn't seem fair.

Depends what you mean by defective, if you bought it before the Atlantean came out then it wasn't defective as such. That would be like saying your Newtonian physics books were defective the day after Einestein proved relativity. If you bought it after the Atlantean edition came out then it's unfortunate but tough cheese. You paid your money, you got what you paid for. Mongoose were very open about the new edition being released. Sometimes you have to be an informed consumer. The original edition is not broken, no more so than many first prints of RPG books are, the game is playable with it AFAIK.

In uni I deliberately bought the old edition of the Maths textbook as the lecturer informed us that was where the assignments would be coming from. Unfortunately, in my maths class the next year they told us we would need the the newer edition (which had already been out the year before) as it contained a chapter on Fourier transforms. Life sucks sometimes but you deal with it.

LBH

The King said:
Exactly. Moreover is shouldn't take too much time to do the errata.

Lucius said:
LOL. I am asking, well demanding this errata for a long time now but never had anything nearing an answer. But how many do agree with me?

I do!

Don't get me wrong, I say Mongoose should bring out an errata, but is much lacking from the download that they have already produced for download?

LBH

grrr...

I gotta ask: Did you know before you bought it that there were two editions out there floating around?

If the answer is "no" then I'm sorry.

If the answer is "yes" then I have to agree that you shoul dhave made sure you were getting the right edition before you completed your order. It sucks, but it's not "unfair" because you sort of blew it on your own there. It sucks, but it's not WalMart's or Mongoose's fault.

That said, it is Mongoose's fault that there are big changes between the atlantean edition and the first print. They've offered the "Sons of Cimmeria" deal as an option (and that would be 60% off, so around $20 more, plus shipping) but I'm not sure that's still on.

Personally i'd be surprised if a PDF wasn't viable once Mongoose have made some money off the Atlantean edition. But, the place to start is by shooting an emai lto the guy above, Mark Humphries, and see what he says your best bet is.

I'd return the book to the website you bought it from, get a refund and order it through Mongoose if you are able or at least make sure you're getting the Atlantean edition somehow. Personally, the layout of the prvious edition is slightly better (not a scramped in some places) but the cleaned up tables and text clarifications are very nice.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Is this (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf) not what you are after?
Not at all. This file just explains what has changed in the AE but doesn't give any game data or rules clarification of the 1st printing.
Example:
Many creatures in the Bestiary were missing Feats and had incorrect Initiative modifiers (the Reflex save modifier had not been included). This is now fixed. The Elephant is also introduced as per John Cooper’s recommendation.
Nice but which are these missing feats and incorrect initiative modifiers? That is exactly what I am asking for. I really don't need to know that it has been corrected in the updated version. I want the corrected data.

The King said:
That's a great idea. Where do we have to look at to find this offer?

I got the info from amazon.de directly because I asked them via email. I think it is part of their general conditions of trade (correct word? in German it is AGB - Allgemeine Geschäfts-Bedingungen). Mail them and you'll get an answer.

Back