Atlantean edition vs. 1st. edition

René said:
The King said:
That's a great idea. Where do we have to look at to find this offer?

I got the info from amazon.de directly because I asked them via email. I think it is part of their general conditions of trade (correct word? in German it is AGB - Allgemeine Geschäfts-Bedingungen). Mail them and you'll get an answer.
Great. Thank you. I believe General conditions of trade is right.

Hi,

I think the King has a very good point, it's not just that new stuff was added to the AE version of the rule book but that material in the original printing was incorrect.

I'm prepping up to run a Conan campaign with the original copy of the rules that I bought before the AE was printed. I've spent a fair bit of money on the product line and while the SoC offer, if still available, is tempting I'm not going to splash out even more cash when the campaign may never go anywhere.

I can understand Mongoose saying "if you want the new diagrams and new rules then you've got to get the new book", it's not too good given how closely the AE followed the original printing but I can live with that. What I'm not really happy about is being told in the changes document that there are errors in my printing of the book and not being told what they are, in fact the "official" line seems to be that to correct my book I need to buy the AE (through SoC or otherwise). I don't think that's fair and to be honest it does somewhat taint my opinion of Mongoose.

So come on, just let us have for free what you admit was wrong with the original rules.

Oly

Come on guys, as you've already been told, Mongoose offered a seriously great deal on a severly discounted copy of the Atlantean edition some time back and the guy you ought to contact is already mentioned above. E-mail him and see if the Sons of Commeria deal is still on going. Worst case scenario is that it's not, but if you knew before you bought the wrong book, then you have to admit that much is your own fault.

I feel bad for you guys who have just bought it. It sucks to have incomplete info. I could afford to wait it out, let my local game store get in the AE and then buy it at full price all over again. Why? To support Mongoose after they essentially gave away AE books at a really cut rate. Publishing isn't easy or cheap and every penny counts, so making that deal was very generous, and if you've missed out then that's too bad and I feel doubly bad for you.

But to say that you knew there was a chance that you'd get the wrong version and you didn't try to ensure that that wouldn't happen...that's not Mongoose's fault.

Like I said above, I fully believe that once they have an appreciable profit from AE sales then Mongoose will have no problem putting a PDF up with the info that differs between the two editions. Owning both volumes I can tell you that it would require specific layout, good referencing and some good ammout of time and effort to put it together because the differences aren't obvious nor that crucial. If you really want to know what an elephant stats are, I'll print it up here with Mongoose approval (I have no affiliation with the company either) but demanding restitution for your own screw-up is not the way to go.

I'll also e-mail Mark Humphries and inform him to check out this thread and respond if possible.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Is this (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/conanaechanges.pdf) not what you are after?

Not quite, as there are no rules for some of the changes listed (ie new Parry rules, the new sneak attack rules) that are not expanded upon. What I am looking for is a full and complete, printer friendly (and free) pdf of ALL the new rules and changes that are in the Atlantean Ed.

Even if you don't want to spend money to get a AE copy via SoC, I recommend you to sign in because you get some goodies via pdf (Adventures, Acheronian race, Iranistani race, Chariot rules, Hyperborean witchmen) - FOR FREE!

Maybe this is a kind of remedy for having a not up to date-rulebook.

Just mail to Mongoose.

The King said:
This is exactly why I am asking for an online errata of the 1st edition. Why should I buy a core book $ 50 (for the 1st edition) + $30 (for the reduced Atlantean edition).
An errata would make 4 pages at most.

Just wanted to clarify the details of the Sons of Cimmeria prgram for swapping the books.

Email me, mhumphries@mongoosepublishing.com I will then send you a form to complete.

It shows the price of the new book, $20 + Frieght (US generally $5) and gives several options for paying. You need to complete the form and send it in along with the corner from page 352, just enough of the page so we see the page number.

I will then send you a brand new very nice Atlantean Edition.

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify a few things.....

I bought the original rules just after they were published, it's not as if I knew that there was an expanded version in existence and took a chance.

I'm all up for supporting Mongoose, I've bought the Free Companies and Road of Kings books as I thought they'd be useful and interesting even if my Conan campaign never took off (I'm hoping that something fantasy based will). Heck I even own the GM screen and I also was persuaded into picking up the Judge Dredd RPG at Dragonmeet a couple of years ago. Mongoose make good quality stuff that as a rule I'm very pleased with and inspired by.

I'm not expecting a PDF with all the information that differs between the two versions. I've flipped through the AE and it seems to have lots of illustrations and examples to help illustrate the rules, that's nice and if my campaign does run then it's the sort of thing that will tempt me to lay out the extra money to get the AE through the SoC program.

What I would like, and what I kind of expected to see, is the admitted errors in the original book fixed with an online PDF. Things like the missing defence modifiers, incorrectly statted animals or fixes for rules that made "no sense at all". I can live without the new rules but it would be nice to have the old ones fixed. To have a document that admits all those problems only to say that they're fixed in the new book is a bit of an insult.

I'm not "demanding restitution for [my] own screw-up", I don't want to get the new rules or illustrated examples for free, I'd just like to see the known problems corrected without being expected to pay out even more money.

Oly

The tables are more clear and many more rules are clarified than that PDF indicates. The AE is more than worth the page corner and +$25.

Trust me guys...and then you'll have a copy for your players and the AE for you...

René said:
Even if you don't want to spend money to get a AE copy via SoC, I recommend you to sign in because you get some goodies via pdf (Adventures, Acheronian race, Iranistani race, Chariot rules, Hyperborean witchmen) - FOR FREE!

Just mail to Mongoose.

Er, I believe the SoC ended, at least with regard to the freebies?

msprange said:
Okay guys, with you. Give us a short while, and I'll see what we can do!

Thanks Matt! I know I would greatly apprectiate a full errata for the old edition. Currently, I use Rolemaster as a system so I cant' really justify spending another $25 on the rulebook (especially when you guys keep pumping out all these awesome supplements :D ).

However, if I had a complete errata I would be much more inclined to try out the D20 rules.

slaughterj said:
René said:

Just mail to Mongoose.

Er, I believe the SoC ended, at least with regard to the freebies?

Don't know. I signed at the beginning of November 2004, and I think AE was at this time already out...

Just ask Mongoose!

Arcadayn said:
msprange said:
Okay guys, with you. Give us a short while, and I'll see what we can do!

Thanks Matt! I know I would greatly apprectiate a full errata for the old edition. Currently, I use Rolemaster as a system so I cant' really justify spending another $25 on the rulebook (especially when you guys keep pumping out all these awesome supplements :D ).

However, if I had a complete errata I would be much more inclined to try out the D20 rules.

Stick with the Rolemaster rules. But, go ahead and shell out the $100 for both the old and the new version of the conan rule book.

I really don't understand what is so difficult about buying both books. What else will the money be spent on? Probably other games to bitch about.

Don't order it from Amazon.ca

A while back I'd asked Mongoose support which version Amazon.ca had and was told that because the first printing had sold out in January/04, they'd have the new copies. I ordered and it came today. Yep, it's the first printing, so that's getting returned today and I'll have to hunt for an Atlantean copy considering the nearest FLGS only has the first edition in stock as well.

RACKAFRAKARIZENFRINZENAMAZONNOTUPDATINGTHEIRSTOCKABRACKFRAKA

No disrespect to the Mongoose, but they could at best only tell you the last ones they sold to amazon. not which ones amazon had in stock. You should always check direct with the online vendor.

good luck finding the AE.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
No disrespect to the Mongoose, but they could at best only tell you the last ones they sold to amazon. not which ones amazon had in stock. You should always check direct with the online vendor.
Mongoose responded promptly

Amazon didn't respond at all after repeated attempts. Those ticket # emails they sent me each time sure were pretty, though.

I expect Mongoose did repsond promptly. I also expect that Amazon wouldn't respond, at least not in a way thatanswers your question, but like I said, Mongoose have no control over which edition Amazon sell you unless they do a product recall, which I don't see happening, or think should happen. You seem to have been gipped by amazon in this case, and, at least under UK trading laws, I see no legal entitlement to a refund or replacement of your purchase as unless it was advertised on their website as the Atlantean Edition, then you got what you paid for. Of course your Canada's laws may be different in this matter, and of course Amazon may go above and beyond the legal requirements.

LBH
(I like buying books in person, or when I'm sure which edition I'm buying, which is much easier in person)

Back