Army Planning & Design

How do you plan/design an Army?

• I approach it purely from the 'design it to win' perspective!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If I like the miniatures, I design a Killer Army based around them (with a few extras)

• Its purely about the miniatures, what I like and want to include

• I have an idea/theme (not necessarily a winner) and models that I really want to use/try out

• None of the above (please explain)

• Total voters
ANYONE HERE REMEMBER A SET OF RULES CALLED "SHOCK OF IMPACT"?

these were a set of ancient warfare rules much improved over WRG ANCIENTs, that used the same mounting system for troops. the concept was fighting technique (ie, difference between ROMAN legionaries, GREEK hoplites, or HELLENISTIC phalangites).

anyway, one of the most clever ideas was the concept that you, the commanding officer on the scene, did not have guaranteed access to the best of everything! you fought your battles with wotever was available to you, then and there, like generals have done from the very beginning.

troops were selected by tossing percentage dice, with the percentage results being very different for each army! the only thing the general could count on was having his personal bodyguard unit, with a high percentage chance of at least one-two units that were typical of the core troops, and the rest being available at the whim of the dice lords!

made for some very, very interesting battles, it did!

PONY WARS OR B TROOP AIN'T COMIN' BACK is another set of rules that has some good ideas for scenarios and etc, that could be used to generate SST games.

anyway, off the top of my head, i would say this could also work for SST
games where folks still used points to form the overall force level, but the troop types available would include one of the most common type ( straigh MI powersuit platoon for example), with other forces be assinged randomly. it could work.

me, i love to fight scenario driven battles: actual military history is overflowing with scenarios that could be used for gaming in different eras or genres! then there is the oportunity to design a scenario from scratch, or to borrow one from books, tv, movies, the news, etc, and plop it down modified to fit the genre y'all are playing in.

by the way, one of the things i am known for is running games that are not fair and balanced! and the players love it! there are no guarantees in a DAWGIE scenario! you brief might not be accurate or complete (just like real life), your ROE might be very restrictive, etc.

also, i want to say up front, that in addition to playing SST from MGP, i play a lot of THWG various rules (CR2.0 and 5150 are great for sci fi gaming) covering a very wide spectrum of gaming. well worth looking at.

a set of free wargames rules that i do really like are written by PETE JONES, titled IS THIS ANOTHER BUGHUNT? (USCMC vs ALIENS, basically).

also i have a yahoo wargames group, called BADDAWGS LANDING, where there are a lot of scenarios that are in the files that could be adapted for use with SST gaming. consider this an invite to sign up and look them over.

DAWGIE

Back