ACTA's Star Fleet: What Race are you most interested in?

What Race Interests you the most?

• Federation

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Klingons

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Romulans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gorn

• Hydrans

• Kzinti

• Lyrans

• Tholians

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Andromedans

• Other

• Total voters
AdrianH said:
Da Boss said:
that def appeals - although the Romulan and Orion women also pique my interest as do cat people :)
That is only significant if they are supplied along with the fleets. :D

Well, as far as federation women are concerned, I _have_ managed to convince Charlotte to wear a Star Fleet uniform at conventions...

For myself I'm excited about the Lyrans. Much like the Klingons in weaponry they also have the ESG, or Expanding Sphere Generator, Unfortunately they don't like to use fighters anywhere near as much as the Kzinti do, and I do love my fighters. Still you can't have everything. They don't produce very many hull types, but these guys are the kings of conversions (after the WYN of course). especially the Lyran Democratic Republic. Add to that a half dozen civil wars and feudal boarder skirmishes and you can basically own one fleet and duke it out to your hearts content. Plus all there ships are named after big cats how can you go wrong?

Romulan/Orion are the two that appeal to me - being the sneaky so and so is always more fun, whatever the rules are in game.

Klingons could be good, too - although Klingons and Federation have been earmarked by some friends...

Other than that, depends what's available. Gorn are cool, simply for the whole 'silly rubber dinosaur' thing, and Tholians for being wierd. Less bothered about SFB-universe specific stuff...

Gorns all the way - what's a defensive phaser, Plasma Torps and love the background for the Name of the 'Godzilla' Heavy Dreadnought (when they built it, they were gonig to call it the 'Mega-Rex', or something along that line. A Federation officer saw it, and called it Godzilla. Gorns asked him to explain - they approved, and the name stuck)

Next fleet would be the ISC, then Klingon.

Yes, the Romulan's, used refitted Klingon ships, but if your going to stick to 'on screen' ships, you'll miss out on the 'Hawk' class new destroyers/crusiers.

I was a long term B5 player (Drakh), and have been into SFB/FC for a long time (20+ years). SFU will nicely fill the 'grand fleet' option, as even FC can have issues with lots of ships, even at 'Fleet' scale.

Kzinti (Don't particularly like the "8-bit sperm" look of their ships)

:lol:

Kzinti ships are intended to look like cats. The front of the ship is the 'head', with the sensor dishes as the 'ears', the pylons with the drones in them are the 'claws' and the engines are the rear legs and 'tail'.

And the feline Lyran ships have catamaran hulls.

I'm not surprised to see the most prominent "TV empires" hogging the popularity contest; though, as things progress, I hope that there is room for people to find interest in the SFU-native fleets and settings waiting to be explored further down the line.

I agree Nerroth, however until you get interested in the mechanics of a specific fleet its very hard to get excited about a race you know next to nothing about.

So lets talk Tactics, anyone here who can give a quick and dirty over-view of how all the different races play?

We could talk about the way some of the fleets fly over in FC in this thread, I was hoping...

Although, it's worth bearing in mind that tactics for a given empire do not necessarily carry over directly from SFB to FC, let alone from either to Starmada. So, while seeing how the ships fly in those three systems would be worth going over, they are likely to have their own perks and quirks in this game system.

(As an aside, if we get a dedicated sub-board for the ADB-Mongoose stuff at some point, it might be interesting to have a few threads there dedicated to each of the other Star Fleet Universe game systems, from SFB to Star Fleet Marines and so forth.)

Well that is a very valid point. However while the game will undoubtedly have ACTA's spin on it I suspect the game designers will have an eye out for translating the system rather than a complete reinterpretation.

Now about a new thread...humm... this topic is generating enough interest that, that might be advisable. I don't wish to see any damage done to peoples interest in Noble Armada due to hopes of whats coming down the pipe in six or so months. Or any unfair comparisons between a game that's existed in one form or another for thirty years compared to Noble Armadas rebirth four months ago.

Gorn. To roll across the stars crushing your enemies and melting thier faces with plasma torpedoes and none of that sneaking and hiding or playing with silly little phasers either. Defensive, thats what huge great shields and big hulls are for :D

Feds. can do most of what every one else can do for versitility and a great big alpha stike of Photons for good measure. Plus fighters and drones if you want to play that way.

ISC. I like then, fleet formations are hard to do properly but eating enemy ships one by one with fleet salvos and salvo'd PPD hits is always fun. Plus you get lots of plasmas (see above) :twisted:

Eitherway I am a lot more interested in this than Nobel armarda. Plus I have a fair few ships already from many years of SFBs in its many forms.

Captain Jonah said:
Eitherway I am a lot more interested in this than Nobel armarda. Plus I have a fair few ships already from many years of SFBs in its many forms.

I'd bet lots of us do :) In fact, news of the upcoming ACTA:Star Fleet game inspired me to go rummaging in my folk's attic the other week and dig out my old Fed/Rom/Klink/Gorn models.

Now I just need someone to pick up a copy of Federation Commander for my birthday ;)

Iain: shame you're not closer - I've got a box of FC kicking around somewhere that I've only ever had a look at, never got a chance to play it... :(

I've got a whole load of the newer Rom ships and some Fed NCLs kicking around somewhere too (ADB did a sale on their site after a load came in with deformed sensor dishes, so I nabbed a load).

Back