Are magic points lost if spell casting fails

Armak

Mongoose
Hi

Could not find in the rules easily .

How do you play - are magic points lost (for example in common magic) if spell casting fails?

--armak

Armak said:
Hi

Could not find in the rules easily .

How do you play - are magic points lost (for example in common magic) if spell casting fails?

--armak

No. Only if you fumble the casting roll. If you simply fail the spell doesn't work but you don't lose the magic points.

alex_greene said:
Loz said:
No. Only if you fumble the casting roll. If you simply fail the spell doesn't work but you don't lose the magic points.
Page number please?

Well, in MRQII its page 36, Common Skills.

Couldn't tell you what it is in Legend though. I don't possess a copy.

:)

I went and looked it up - page 49, under Common Skills.

The description states what happens if the caster scores a critical success (the spell costs 1 MP less, minimum of 1) or a fumble (caster burns all the MP for nothing).

It does not explicitly state what happens if you roll an ordinary success; however, one would presume that nothing happens - but the caster doesn't lose any MP either.

You'd imagine they'd have inserted a little reminder of that in the actual Common Magic section ...

alex_greene said:
It does not explicitly state what happens if you roll an ordinary success; however, one would presume that nothing happens - but the caster doesn't lose any MP either.

If you roll an ordinary success then you lose the normal Magic Points of the spell (Common Magic Chapter p 158).

However, it doesn't say what happens on a failure - since a fumble means the loss of magic points, a Failure would probably probably be the spell does not go off but there is no Magic Point loss.

Interesting. I've always assumed that on an ordinary success, you spend the magic points and get the result that you want. On a failure, you spend the magic points but don't get the result that you want. And on a fumble, you spend the magic points and something BAD happens.

Perhaps the only time that attempting to cast a spell doesn't cost you magic points is if you roll a critical success during the casting - in which case you draw all of the required energy from the ambient mana in the location where you happen to be located.

Magic is difficult & it is a rough world option would use the prime_evils option. Have to think about whether to adopt this as house rule...

Greetings

1. Sorcery: failure loses 1 MP only: p194

2. Divine: falure means spell does not work but may attempt to cast it again later (there are no MPs expended as such in Divine magic): p174

3. Common: not express but as p48 notes that a fumble expends all MPs but the spell still fails it may be inferred that no MP are expended for a simple failure.

Regards

Edward

For Sorcery (Grimoire) casting in particular -

LEGEND Core Rulebook : Page 194

"Casting Critical Successes
If the Sorcery (Grimoire) roll is a critical success, the spell costs no Magic Points to cast,
irrespective of the amount of Manipulation applied to it."

"Casting Failures
If the casting test fails the spell does not take effect and costs the caster a single Magic Point."

"Casting Fumbles
If the Sorcery roll is fumbled the spell fails and the sorcerer loses the full Magic Point cost of
the spell."

And as folks have stated above The Common Magic skill description only states the following.. (p.48)

"If a Common Magic roll is a critical success, then the spell costs 1 less Magic Point (to a minimum of 1) to cast."

"If the roll fumbles, then the Adventurer expends all the Magic Points for the spell’s Magnitude
but the spell still fails."

Divine, of course, uses no Magic Points in casting.

I'd love someone from Mongoose to clarify if this as stated above is the full interpretation, or whether a line of text was omitted (possibly) in the Common Magic description? I was a little surprised that Common Magic failure does not expend 1 MP is my overall feeling on the matter. If taken verbatim, the above interpretation is to the letter.

I actually like the house ruling described further above:

"I've always assumed that on an ordinary success, you spend the magic points and get the result that you want. On a failure, you spend the magic points but don't get the result that you want. And on a fumble, you spend the magic points and something BAD happens."

That I may have to steal. It's a cleaner and more logical way to handle it for both Common and Sorcery.

Back