ACTA RIP....

M1ndr1d3rs said:
Bubba Ho-Tep said:
Hmmmmmm...... I do CAD for a living. I have thought on numerous occasions about doing this for a custom model, maybe it's time to try it out.

Fingers crossed, man :D

Ok, I will put a model together and get a quote. It will probably take me a week or more to get the model done, so be patient.

Lord David the Denied said:
David said:
I do what I please. I stink, therefore I am..... ;)

That part at least I can't argue with...

Compared to some who frequent the hallowed walls of our FLGS, David Anla'Shok smells like a flippin' petunia.

I swear, if I win the lottery and buy a game store I will have a no shoes, no shirt, no shower, no service policy!

Admiral Phlop said:
I have been reading this from the first day and made comments. After reading and thinking about this, I was wondering how some of the other manufacturers are keeping their costs down, such as Iron Wind Metals, who make for one the Battletech line. These figures have as much if not more metal in them and with greater detail, and the cost of these figs. are lower than B5 figs. They are also cast in the US. Maybe there are more figs sold, and that is the reason they can keep the costs down.

I may be a bit out of the loop, but the Battletech line I've seen has generally smaller units. How many Atlas mechs can one make from the metal in an Olympus? Are the prices that different?

The other thing is that WB is one of those companies trying to take over the world, like Microsoft, Mobil, Wal-Mart and Acme Labs. Licensing could be pricey.

I just found this out today. Too sad. I bought the latest rules and fleet book recently after hoping to get into the game. I am a long time BFG player wanting to get into a different space game. I wanted to get several fleet boxes, but now I am not sure.
We play Twilight Imperium Armada at a school club I run because it is a cheap "minis" game. It's fun, but weird playing it knowing that the game is not supported any longer. I know Mongoose said it would continue supporting the game with the magazine PDF, but you have to wonder how long that will continue. Who would have thought that BFG would still be there after all these years. Larger established company, fewer minis, fewer factions, probably had something to do with it.

Hey Matt. If your reading this I was just wondering, how long did you get the liscense for and how much time is left on it? Can't you renegotiate it so you can contract out the minis production?

Hi- I thought it best to wait a week after hearing the news before posting, so that I did n't say anything in haste that I would regret after reflection.....

First up I am a new player to ACTA. I struggled to get any of the guys at my old gaming club in London interested in trying ACTA because they were put off by the overly frequent rule and stats changes (1st ed, ASFOS, tournament rules, Armageddon, then 2nd Ed). Luckily for me having moved up to Yorkshire I find that Stonehorse from this forum plays at Leeds Nightowls club so will hopefully be able to start playing soon. I mnetion that I am new player to make it clear that I understand that I have not invested the quantity of time and effort into game that many here have done.

Second I am a B5 fan rather than a Mongoose fan. I got interested in the game because of the show and because of the quality of the minatures. I saw some painted Centauri on the web and thought they looked great.

Third I became disapointed with Mongoose. Their minatures were badly cast and full of flash (the worst of any game that I have bought), their customer service was poor, the design of the new minatures was awful (faces of new B5 RPG figures were abysmal and the new ships were so ugly compared to the old AoG sculpts), their product release schedules were not worth the paper that they were written on (B5 War Without End, SST, BF:E), the quality of the rulebooks dipped (I lost count of the number of people who had problems with binding).....

I can understand that ACTA became difficult for Mongoose to support given the number of fleets and thus number of product codes. So some streamling and rationalisation of the product codes would have been inevitable. But cutting all of them? They must have really mismanaged SST/BF:E to have to go that extreme.

So what further products would I now buy from Mongoose? Well I was interested in Elric, Hawkmoon & Traveller RPG's. I would have bought more B5 RPG figures if they improved sculpting quality of next releases. And I would have bought a load of B5 War Without End. But now- I may buy to fill a few of the gaps in my ACTA fleets and after that- probably nothing. Why should I give more of my money if they are not going to produce figures for the show I love.

Did I see that Mongoose's licence expired in 2009? If so would it be worth them renewing giving the old age of the moulds they acquired from AoG. I suspect they would have to replace more of the moulds in the same way as Hyperion. And that would have meant renewing the licence would cost too much. So I guess that financially better off running down the game now so that clear old stocks.

The important question for B5 fans is not wether Mongoose will survive but whether another company will pick up the licence. Although Mongoose picked up the torch from AoG I am less sure anyone would do the same now. It is a decade since new series was on TV and I am not sure that TLT was good enough to spark a relaunch. So a new company could face high costs (for both WBV licence and redoing production moulds) and diminishing returns.

Mongoose announcements have effectively killed off ACTA as will stop new players getting into game as will be unable to buy minatures (and no I don't think counters will keep the game alive).

It won't stop me using (and hopefully in time painting) the B5 fleets that I already own. I will just probably use a generic space combat game such as Full Thrust or Starmada. Even if Mongoose does release a generic space combat game why should I give my money to them?

First Epic and then ACTA. Maybe I should stick with games that have a long history and will always be supported.....

:(

James

wkehrman said:
Admiral Phlop said:
I have been reading this from the first day and made comments. After reading and thinking about this, I was wondering how some of the other manufacturers are keeping their costs down, such as Iron Wind Metals, who make for one the Battletech line. These figures have as much if not more metal in them and with greater detail, and the cost of these figs. are lower than B5 figs. They are also cast in the US. Maybe there are more figs sold, and that is the reason they can keep the costs down.

I may be a bit out of the loop, but the Battletech line I've seen has generally smaller units. How many Atlas mechs can one make from the metal in an Olympus? Are the prices that different?

The other thing is that WB is one of those companies trying to take over the world, like Microsoft, Mobil, Wal-Mart and Acme Labs. Licensing could be pricey.

Have you purchased a fast destroyer for the Drakh and seen how much metal is in that versus an Atlas. Both are about the same price. For the detail and metal there is no contest, IWM which makes battletech wins. And this goes across the spectrum of both games. MGP has an inferior product compared to alot of other model manufacturers. Don't get me wrong I like this game and have 5 different fleets. Just for your money there are alot of other manufacturers out there that do a much better job than what MGP was getting. Look at GHQ in micro-scale and see the detail with very little flash and you know it can be done.

Of course, there are still a -lot- of minis in circulation, so I'm sure you'll see them on ebay, bartertown and the like for a long time to come.

David said:
LaranosTZ said:
Of course, there are still a -lot- of minis in circulation, so I'm sure you'll see them on ebay, bartertown and the like for a long time to come.

Not at the moment. Seems to have dried up...

that might change once the liscence goes null & void, i remember ebay getting flooded some time after AOG went belly up... same might hapen again as people offload stuff in a final buying/selling frenzy.

Back