ActA at Gaelcon, thread the third

Lorcan Nagle

Mongoose
OK, one last (probably) thread for Gaelcon, just to get all the info in one place.

The con runs 28-30th October in Clontarf Castle, which is a lovely venue not too far outside Dublin city.

In terms of special events, we're going to have a tournament running all day saturday. Assuming Armageddeon is out no later than the start of october I'll be using the revised fleet lists and updated rules from it, otherwise it'll be the standard tournament pack.

Tournament structure will probably involve everyone playing everyone else (maybe seperated into groups if necessary) with scoring as per the tournament pack. This will lead into semi or quarter finals as time permits.

People are encouraged to bring their own fleets, but EA, ISA, Minbari and Narn models should be availible, not to mention many counters. FA models are permitted.

In other mongoose stuff, we're intending to run pick-up demo games of Starship Troopers, and maybe ActA, and we're looking into getting someone from Mongoose over as well.

Outside of Mongoose stuff, there's absolutely pots to do, I personally recommend Giant robot Melee, running all day sunday. This has nothing to do with me running the game, honest.

More details availible from the website, which is linked in my sig.

So if the PDF is available before Gaelcon, are you going to issue it to each of the players signed up?

Also, most people won't have sheets for the new ships or be conversant with the new rules.

Is this really a good idea, with Gaelcon only a month and a half away?

Digger, I'm assuming when he says Armageddon, he means the book not the PDF. The PDF being so hotly debated in the other threads, is just a sneak preview for the Into The Fire II tourney on the 16th.

Yeah, I figure a month is enough time for people to nab the book and get aquainted with their new stuff. If the release date falls any furthe rback into October we won't use it.

and there's been a change of plans! The ActA tourney is now on Monday, with a participation game (probably from the Earth-Minbari war) on the Saturday.

Nooooo.... we fly home on Monday. Monday is a very bad day for people who are coming by air. Please change it back!!

We will be there on Monday too, so if it can't be changed, it should just about be OK. But tournaments tend to be an all-day thing, and our flight back depards at 8:50pm, which means leaving at 6-ish? So, we'll have to stop playing around 5.

Oh, that's little to no problem, the con finishes up around 6 on the Monday, I'd want to be well finished by then, Still, there'll be discussions and the like so we can accomodate everyone

But it starts at 11, right? 7 hours is a bit short for a tournament, if you're having either 3x 2 hour games or 4x 1.5 hour.

Perfect situation for us would be the tourney on saturday, and E/M war on Monday... then we could play both :D

The problem, as with any tournament, is the limitations of space. If you check the timetable you can see that there's a lot already going on Saturday and Sunday, so Monday is really the best day from a logistical point of view.

It might be possible to start playing earlier, if everyone was there and had fleet rosters and things checked.

If people were going to be around for the whole con, there's no reason that fleet lists couldn't be checked at an earlier point by one of the organising staff (most likely Lorcan / myself), which would allow for getting playing quicker on the day.

It may, and I stress may be possible to play the tournament on Saturday, but we'd need to speak to one of the wargames organisers about tables and things.

Yeah, there's also the problem that I'm running an all-day event on Sunday, so I can't do the demo game then. I'll confer more with the wargames comittee members and see what options we have. One way or another we'll do something on the Saturday though.

Personally speaking, I would prefer the tournament on the saturday - if its on the monday, fair enough, I don't have a flight to catch or anything like that. I know others do have flights to get, tho, and it would seem the logical choice to play the tournament earlier to accommodate the folks who are coming quite a distance.

I'm sure u organising dudes from Gealcon can come up with something to keep us all happy. :D

hairyheretic said:
The problem, as with any tournament, is the limitations of space. If you check the timetable you can see that there's a lot already going on Saturday and Sunday, so Monday is really the best day from a logistical point of view.

Heck, if it came down to it, u could hold a few games in people's rooms - i'm sure I could bring along a table.

We could, but wargames is probably the most visual part of gaming, and by having it in the middle of the main hall, you can end up attracting new players with all the nice shiny toys :)

By promoting it this way this year, maybe we'll end up with more players and/or a bigger tournament next year.

the main problem with running the tourney on the Saturday is limited space- I can only guarantee the room for the demo game as originally planeed right now. but we'll have something finalised within the week

Ok, just off the line with the wargames organiser, and we've manage to juggle things around to put the tournament on on Saturday, and the demo / participation game Monday.

Feel free to express your gratitude to Lorcan and myself at the charming bar next door to the con :D

Back