Um.....have I missed some post by Gar, other than the one below ? It says that Worldgen IS in, abeit the LBB3 version; recent posts here seem to give me the impression that it has been dropped, or is likely to be dropped.
Why ?

Mongoose Gar said:
Worldbuilding is in, but pretty much unchanged from CT - it's just mainworld in the corebook. There'll be a scout book later on, which will cover the same ground as the old Book 6.

Cap

captainjack23 said:
Um.....have I missed some post by Gar, other than the one below ? It says that Worldgen IS in, abeit the LBB3 version; recent posts here seem to give me the impression that it has been dropped, or is likely to be dropped.

The problem is that pasting in book 3 worldgen solves none of the worldgen problems that have plagued the Traveller universe since it was created (and that book 3 was incomplete even by CT standards).

So the options are to either leave it as book 3 and keep all the problems, or spend time to playtest a new version that removes the problems and put that in instead, or not put a worldgen system of any kind in at all because there's no time to do that. But nobody's made any decisions as to what to do yet.

EDG said:
captainjack23 said:

The problem is that pasting in book 3 worldgen solves none of the worldgen problems that have plagued the Traveller universe since it was created (and that book 3 was incomplete even by CT standards).

So the options are to either leave it as book 3 and keep all the problems, or spend time to playtest a new version that removes the problems and put that in instead, or not put a worldgen system of any kind in at all because there's no time to do that. But nobody's made any decisions as to what to do yet.

well.....sounds like Gar has made a decision: go with LBB3. This tells me that while tweaks to LBB3 system may be possible before release, a major revision isn't.

"What are the three (or so)most important tweaks that require minimal change to the LBB3 system" , seems to be the challange here.

I would point out that a worldgen system does lend itself to essentialy automated playtest, as well as the kind of discussion going on here, so perhaps there will be time to do some development....

Cap

Right now it seems to me that there's not much point discussing this until Gar confirms what exactly will be done with the worldbuilding. Once we know more then we'll know what (if anything) can be done to fix things.

EDG said:
Right now it seems to me that there's not much point discussing this until Gar confirms what exactly will be done with the worldbuilding. Once we know more then we'll know what (if anything) can be done to fix things.

From what I can read, he has given as much info as he has as to what the worldgen system will be: LBB3

I suspect that if we work on the LBB3 system, we may get input. If we write new systems, we won't.

Like I asked, can we pick three tweaks that will make the maximum improvement for the minimum change to the LBB3 system ?

Me:

some ceiling for Atmospheres based on relative planet size.
Some ceiling on hydrographics based on relative planet size.
some ideas about local gravity calculations, based soley on UPP data.

My suggestions:

Planets below size 5 cannot have an atmosphere greater than their size+2 ;if so rolled, set it equal to size. 0=0, 1=1.

Planets below size 5 cannot have a hydrosphere greater than the lesser of its atmosphere or size + 1; If so rolled set it equal to the lesser of the two.
0=0 .

Grav: density = size+1 /(greater of Hydrosphere+1 or atmosphere+1; Grav = density x size/8(earth normal)).

-Cap,
KOD, Marquis d'Remulak, Sol 1833.

captainjack23 said:
Like I asked, can we pick three tweaks that will make the maximum improvement for the minimum change to the LBB3 system ?

I'd rather not. My view is that it needs to either be fixed completely, or don't bother at all.If you half-fix it, it's still half-broken. Though frankly, I think that not doing anything with it at all is a cop-out - you can't just armwave a system into the game at the last minute and then not playtest it when you've playtested everything else. Then you'd have most of a game that works and some of a game that doesn't.

Planets below size 5 cannot have an atmosphere greater than their size+2 ;if so rolled, set it equal to size. 0=0, 1=1.

That'd be wrong though. A size 3 world can't have a type 5 atmosphere, it can't hold onto oxygen.

Not to sound "arrogant" but trust me, the limitations on atmospheric composition based on size and the assumption of being in the habitable zone that I mentioned elsewhere are as correct as it's practical to get - that's basically how it really works (at least in a as simplified a way as possible), I've done a lot of the research on this. Suggesting anything that deviates from that isn't going to get you a more accurate way of determining atmosphere type.

IMO the best way is to have a table for small worlds and a table for large worlds. The small world table has the 0/1/A results, the large world table has the full range. (or put it all on one table with apprpropriate DMs)

Planets below size 5 cannot have a hydrosphere greater than the lesser of its atmosphere or size + 1; If so rolled set it equal to the lesser of the two. 0=0 .

Again, this is incorrect and it's also baseless. If a planet can hold water then it can hold onto lots of it or little of it. You can get a size 6 world completely covered by water if you like, or a size 9 world with 30% coverage.

Grav: density = size+1 /(greater of Hydrosphere+1 or atmosphere+1; Grav = density x size/8(earth normal)).

First, you're adding a density (and gravity) term. Density should IMO be something that's rolled up on a table, not derived from other stats.

EDG said:
captainjack23 said:

I'd rather not. My view is that it needs to either be fixed completely, or don't bother at all.If you half-fix it, it's still half-broken. Though frankly, I think that not doing anything with it at all is a cop-out - you can't just armwave a system into the game at the last minute and then not playtest it when you've playtested everything else. Then you'd have most of a game that works and some of a game that doesn't.

Okay. Your call with your effort.

That'd be wrong though. A size 3 world can't have a type 5 atmosphere, it can't hold onto oxygen.

Not to sound "arrogant" but trust me, the limitations on atmospheric composition based on size and the assumption of being in the habitable zone that I mentioned elsewhere are as correct as it's practical to get - that's basically how it really works (at least in a as simplified a way as possible), I've done a lot of the research on this. Suggesting anything that deviates from that isn't going to get you a more accurate way of determining atmosphere type.

IMO the best way is to have a table for small worlds and a table for large worlds. The small world table has the 0/1/A results, the large world table has the full range. (or put it all on one table with apprpropriate DMs)

Actually, that's not arrogant, that's helpful. A= exotic, correct ? So that would cover worlds like titan, small, thin non O2 bearing atmosphere.
(I've always felt that the A classification was an oddity admidst increasing pressure)

The main question from there is what you'd suggest should be the cutoff for the small/large worlds (restricted range vs full range) ?

A secondary question would be given an 0,1,A distribution, which would be more/most likely ? In other words, one possibility that suggests itself is setting the atmosphere to A if it generates a greater atmosphere...or would something like a 3,2,1 distribution work for small worlds (1,2,3 =0, 4,5=1,6=A, perhaps)

Planets below size 5 cannot have a hydrosphere greater than the lesser of its atmosphere or size + 1; If so rolled set it equal to the lesser of the two. 0=0 .

Again, this is incorrect and it's also baseless. If a planet can hold water then it can hold onto lots of it or little of it. You can get a size 6 world completely covered by water if you like, or a size 9 world with 30% coverage.

Good to know. I remember there was significant complaint about tying hydrosphere to size - perhaps I misremember ; would a split like atmos work better ? Or whould all worlds have the whole range ?

First, you're adding a density (and gravity) term. Density should IMO be something that's rolled up on a table, not derived from other stats.

Yeah, I'd always rolled it as separate. The suggestion there was to derive it from just UPP data. Venus does rather put paid to my initial assumption that a planet with an unusually dense atmos would have more grav.

A question about densities - planets should, I suppose, span the range from ice to ....? In other words, what would be the greatest density expected from an LBB mainworld ?

And, if we set earth as 1, what would ice and max be ? Previously I used somthing like (2d6 +3)/10 for density, (.5 to 1.5). Possible ?

Back