Greetings

Happy New Year to one and all - from a cloudy UK

In the spirit of my New Year resolution to actually do things in a timely manner I've run a solo playtest this morning and sent the results of this and the various Chagen and other things I've been doing with v3.1 off to the playtest email address.

Regards

Happy new year from sunny and warm (in comparison to where most of you live - it's probably about 15 degrees centigrade during daytime) Rehovot, Israel!

[delurk]

Happy New Year's, folks.

Hopefully, 2008 will be a great year for Traveller (Mongoose and otherwise).

Although I kinda wish that Mongoose doesn't rush Traveller out the gate - I would rather have it delayed instead of being error-ridden - I am nontheless anticipating the new Trav book greatly.

[relurk]

Knightsky said:
[delurk]

Happy New Year's, folks.

Hopefully, 2008 will be a great year for Traveller (Mongoose and otherwise).

Although I kinda wish that Mongoose doesn't rush Traveller out the gate - I would rather have it delayed instead of being error-ridden - I am nontheless anticipating the new Trav book greatly.

[relurk]

You are not the only one who'd rather see late but good.

AKAramis said:
You are not the only one who'd rather see late but good.

Ditto.

Given the very good points still being raised regarding 3.1 (such as basically everything AKAramis has had to say about ship design), I'm concerned that an on-schedule release, with large portions of the final product not even opened for general playtest, will be to the detriment of the final quality.

I've just asked for, and been granted, a month's extension to the development time. This will probably push the release date back to the very end of February at the earliest.

Mongoose Gar said:
I've just asked for, and been granted, a month's extension to the development time. This will probably push the release date back to the very end of February at the earliest.

or require time travel.

I'm in the better good than early camp too.

Deniable said:
Mongoose Gar said:

or require time travel.

I'm in the better good than early camp too.

Quite so. Let the pummeling continue.

Thats good news Gar. We all want this product to be really good and think that extra month might just give you what you need to do it...and give us more time to playtest :D

Gar, does that mean the deadline for comments will be extended past January 6th?

Will we see a Version 4?

What areas do you still want comments/playtesting?

Mongoose Gar said:
If this gives the extra time to shake out any arrors/flaws, I'm all for it.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Gar, does that mean the deadline for comments will be extended past January 6th?

Will we see a Version 4?

What areas do you still want comments/playtesting?
I'm curious regarding these questions, as well.

I don't know if there'll be a version 4. I'm currently reorganising my plan from 'a frantic week of rewriting' to 'a month of rewriting, polishing, expanding and fiddling'. I'll also need to consult with Chris.

Comments and playtesting welcome on all areas, but play with ships (ignoring the power fuck-up - assume that a plant X can run drive X and have power to spare for at least some guns), space combat, and general adventuring. What do you find yourself lacking when you run a game? What extra stuff do you wish the book had in the middle of a game?

Mongoose Gar said:
Comments and playtesting welcome on all areas, but play with ships (ignoring the power ****-up - assume that a plant X can run drive X and have power to spare for at least some guns), space combat, and general adventuring. What do you find yourself lacking when you run a game? What extra stuff do you wish the book had in the middle of a game?

Should I take this to mean that we won't be seeing any worldbuilding rules in the corebook then? (though if you just want stuff that can be used in the middle of a game then I would have left the ship design for later too and just had some standard designs for the corebook).

Worldbuilding is in, but pretty much unchanged from CT - it's just mainworld in the corebook. There'll be a scout book later on, which will cover the same ground as the old Book 6.

Mongoose Gar said:
Worldbuilding is in, but pretty much unchanged from CT - it's just mainworld in the corebook. There'll be a scout book later on, which will cover the same ground as the old Book 6.

Ugh, if it's just the same as book 3 then it'll still be as broken as it ever was. At the very least, worlds need to be size 5 or higher in order to have breathable atmospheres and habitable environments (between atms 2-9) - worlds smaller than that just can't hold onto the oxygen and water while in the habitable zone. If that's somehow implemented then it'd make life a lot easier for the expanded rules.

I'd much rather see the rules tested here though rather than just copied wholesale from CT Book 3 (which also doesn't include the higher atm types and law levels and government types that were in book 6 and megatraveller and that need to be there to provide the full range of possible results). Again though it seems that the worldbuilding side is not getting much attention compared to everything else.

Gar,

Is there any way the worldbuilding stuff could be left entirely until the Scout book, allowing it to be looked at, overhauled, and give the experts their extensive and long-worded opinions?

Ok, my bad. I agree that if there isn't time to do anything but 'cut and paste' the worldbuilding rules then they should wait instead of putting out something significantly sub-par.

Back