Your favourite on screen ship?

Which is your favourite ship from Babylon 5?

• Omega/Hyperion/Nova

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharlin

• Primus/Vorchan

• T'Loth/G'Quan

• Whitestar

• Shadows

• Vorlons

• League ships

• Drakh

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Difficult choices really, each one of the reaces was pretty unique in its ship architecture. Which was what made the show very interesting, as the aliens were more alien for it.

Have to favour the G'Quan, especially as the bridge shots show the crew belted into their seats. None of this madly falling/flying about when the ship is hit here. Slightly ahead of the Omega (its entrance in season 2 with the rotating section was genius.)

But there is still something about a Sharlin Warcruiser.

except all the diagrams I've seen show the omega bridge in the non-rotating section....oh well...
and the bridge shots of the hyperion show everyone belted in also.

Chern

Chernobyl said:
except all the diagrams I've seen show the omega bridge in the non-rotating section....oh well...
and the bridge shots of the hyperion show everyone belted in also.

Chern

Haven't seen a diagram of one, where does it have the bridge at?

Chernobyl said:
IIRC the earthforce sourcebook shows it on top of the "head" section at the front.

Chern

that's either a cockup (see that it lists the reverse thrusters on the omega as guns and likewise the sensors on the hyperion) or it's a reserve bridge for redundancy purposes

I favour the first

obviously from the show we see that the Omega's bridge is in the rotating section

I'm shocked! :shock:

I have to say I thought the Omega or Hyperion would win this poll but so far the Narn ships lead the race and where the EA vote is split between the two ships, all the Narn votes appear to be for the G'Quan!

The G'Quan is the most popular ship on screen?! 8)

emperorpenguin said:
Chernobyl said:
IIRC the earthforce sourcebook shows it on top of the "head" section at the front.

Chern

that's either a cockup (see that it lists the reverse thrusters on the omega as guns and likewise the sensors on the hyperion) or it's a reserve bridge for redundancy purposes

I favour the first

obviously from the show we see that the Omega's bridge is in the rotating section

Its a screw up. That whole front head section is taken up by the fighter launch bay, weaponry and sensors arrays. As seem in the show, there is gravity on the bridge of the Omega and there for it must be located in the rotating section, the rest of the ship is zero-g

l33tpenguin said:
Its a screw up. That whole front head section is taken up by the fighter launch bay, weaponry and sensors arrays. As seem in the show, there is gravity on the bridge of the Omega and there for it must be located in the rotating section, the rest of the ship is zero-g
Which is a bit of a shame, the original intention was that the rotating section would lock into place in combat so as to put less strain on the hull. I like that detail, wish they'd kept it.

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
l33tpenguin said:
Which is a bit of a shame, the original intention was that the rotating section would lock into place in combat so as to put less strain on the hull. I like that detail, wish they'd kept it.

Wulf

I thought it would lock into place if it sustained too much damage? Gravity in combat is a good thing, there isn't crap flying all through the air (people included) and makes opperations in the middle of a fight far more smooth. Can you imagine the mess someone crushed by a bulkhead would make in Zero-G? At least with gravity still in place they just puddle on the floor

l33tpenguin said:
I thought it would lock into place if it sustained too much damage? Gravity in combat is a good thing, there isn't crap flying all through the air (people included) and makes opperations in the middle of a fight far more smooth. Can you imagine the mess someone crushed by a bulkhead would make in Zero-G? At least with gravity still in place they just puddle on the floor
Trouble is, a massive multi-ton rotating section that sustains enough damage to cause that puddle will be under vastly more strain than the same section NOT rotating. Damage to the axle would jerk the whole ship around, and the gyroscopic action of the rotating section would make directional control more difficult. Back in WW1, aircraft with Rotary engines (where the whole engine turned with the propellor) would always be tricky to handle - a sudden pull back on the joystick could actually produce a rotation instead of a climb!

The Omegas with rotating sections look great, but I liked the possibility of attention to detail. But, ultimately, the budget probably didn't stretch to zero-G scenes...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
l33tpenguin said:
The Omegas with rotating sections look great, but I liked the possibility of attention to detail. But, ultimately, the budget probably didn't stretch to zero-G scenes...
Wulf

Yeah, those seat belts are so expensive!

Remember in the opening of Severed Dreams, in combat, the crew of the Alexander are worried that more damage will cause them to lose gravity. Now, if it were the case that the rotating section was locked down for combat, you'd think that it would have been done so already; they had been on the run, had obviously been fighting for a while and were just trying to escape without destroying more earth ships.

The impression to me, and I believe its been stated officially, is that if the Alexander had taken any more damage, the crew would have been forced to lock down the rotating section so it didn't become unstable.

Anyway, I fully understand what you are saying and yes, I agree. I'm only argueing from what has been on screen as to how operations are conducted.

Shadow Queen said:
was it the Agamemnon that locked its rotating section in "End Game"? as it went to ram the GOD sat or was it a GDN sat

G.O.D. "Global Orbital Defense", and I believe that was actually another CGI goof showing the mid-section not rotating, there was talk of the forward guns being out of action but there was still gravity on the bridge.

tomc300 said:
Shadow Queen said:
was it the Agamemnon that locked its rotating section in "End Game"? as it went to ram the GOD sat or was it a GDN sat

G.O.D. "Global Orbital Defense", and I believe that was actually another CGI goof showing the mid-section not rotating, there was talk of the forward guns being out of action but there was still gravity on the bridge.

Someone should pull that episode up, I thought I remember it still rotating. though they don't rotate all that fast, its obvious to me when the section isn't spinning. I've forgotten to animate it from time to time when I'm doing CGI work with b5 models and its the first thing I notice.

l33tpenguin said:
tomc300 said:
Shadow Queen said:

Someone should pull that episode up, I thought I remember it still rotating. though they don't rotate all that fast, its obvious to me when the section isn't spinning. I've forgotten to animate it from time to time when I'm doing CGI work with b5 models and its the first thing I notice.

I think you're right, at work right now, no dvds available, but after my last post I started thinking about it, I know there is one portion in the hyperspace scene earlier where there is either an Omega w/ NO midsection or a Nova with REALLY small gun turrets, it is right after the g'quan is shown passing across the screen then, 2 Omegas pass by then the one I am talking about. Maybe I got those two crossed.

l33tpenguin said:
You're right, it was still rotating. The image of the Aggamemnon's wrecked fore section emerging through the fireball is one of the best in the whole series, and frequently my Wallpaper...

Wulf

Back