Would you switch to Savage Worlds for Conan?

It wasn't too far. When heroes faced serpent man and his two cronies, one of them went down, other was hiding behind rocks and third, most brave and bold, finally slain monster. Perhaps I'll drop idea of "heroes never die" but still I don't know if and when I will run. Too many projects and too little time.

Good roleplaying from your group, it seems. Then that kind of rule will probably work just fine.

I have the same problem with time and various projects. These days it is quite hard to get a time to run anything, so something fast and pretty uncomplicated would be preferred especially as we don't necessarily get the whole group together at the same time (conflicting schedules). But that's OT.

If I started running Conan today, I'd use Savage Worlds. I'd lift some things from Mongoose Conan, mainly racial bonuses and use some sourcebooks for places etc. Though of course I'd ignore all the pastiche crap.

I'd totally lose the magic system used in SW. Instead, I'd make it so different magic styles are skills on their own. For example, if you want to cast Necromantic spells, you need skill Necromancy. If you want to control minds, you need skill Hypnotism. Each spellstyle would have a "basic spell" that can be used in an unlimited way. Basically, each type of magic would work as some other skill. For example, Telekinesis would work as Throwing and you could use Hypnotism to intimidate and manipulate people.

Spells that are more powerful than that would either eat up a Benny or give you a point of Fatigue. So when we are talking about Necromancy, for example, talking with a corpse or raising a zombie would be free usage. Death Touch would either eat a Benny or give the sorcerer one point of Fatigue. Maybe there could be edges, which give you extra uses for a certain spell style. Like "Necromancy Adept", allows the character to cast two Necromancy spells without using a Benny or Fatigue point.

Mmmh but anyway, I'm running with our homemade Conan Acheronian Edition now and it works well enough. Converting the campaign to SW would have been too much trouble. Perhaps if I start a new campaign one day, I'll put some real thought in SW conversion.

I'm playing with an idea of making Savage Setting by myself but it would be third project for Savage Worlds alone! Anyway I have some ideas. Mongoose books are nice, because they bring much background information. Alas, great part of it is not drawn from REH (you must know, I'm orthodox, ignoring everything not written by Great One), but if one looks for inspiration or information, can get easily.

Conversion should be easy, especially with help of fine Mongoose books. Basically it would be "translating" already invented ideas into new mechanics.

No, I would not switch to Savage Worlds. Just not my cup of tea.

About the only RPG that I'd even consider (and even then it'd be a long shot) for Conan other than the Conan OGL game is FantasyCraft.

Me, I'd switch to Eden Studios Uni system. Their Buffy game was one of the most playable and fun games ever

djd said:
Me, I'd switch to Eden Studios Uni system. Their Buffy game was one of the most playable and fun games ever

I second that and have run Conan games using it - it works extremely well - just writing a conversion for Dark Heresy for it :)

I'd also use BRP / RuneQuest

I really dislike Savage Worlds however............I find it restrictive and frustrating - for me its nearly as annoying as Rolemaster.

I have just ordered the revised All Flesh Must Be Eatten book to have a look at the D20 conversion stats in that. Unisystem is a super system. Combines a very simple mechanic with enough detail to make combat cinematic - particulary the version of the system used in the Buffy and Angel games with the different combat options for hand to hand attacks. I may well have a go at Conan myself with this :D

@Da Boss: that's interesting, what are you main gripes about SW?

Just asking because most people are totally hyping it. Personally I've only played it about four times now, so I can't comment on the long term impressions. So far, however, I like it. I also liked Conan D20 for a long time, btw.

Clovenhoof said:
@Da Boss: that's interesting, what are you main gripes about SW?

Just asking because most people are totally hyping it. Personally I've only played it about four times now, so I can't comment on the long term impressions. So far, however, I like it. I also liked Conan D20 for a long time, btw.

well different strokes as they say :)

I have played it a few times in a couple of different genres - I had expected to like it as I quite like the Deadlands system but it seems to sucked all the cool stuff out of it.

Several of us found it very difficult to do anything and that a few wounds really madde us near useless - not sure if it was the power level we were playing at but I saw nothing that made it better than Deadlands. An evocative iniative system and poker chips in the latter seemed to be neutered and given silly names in SW. The vaunted minon rules - well I have used minon rules in games for at least a decade - any system can cope with them.

but if you like it thats cool too - Its just I dont :)

Although not my favourite, the SW system is heroic and fast paced enough to fit the Conan genre. I like it better than the too crunchy D20 to translate Howard's fury in gaming terms.

Savge Worlds Howard fans should check the wonderful Savage World of Solomon Kane.

51Dv1fsVQJL.jpg

The best conversion for Savage Worlds Conan would be IMO

Legends of Steel

And yes SW is a perfect fit for Howards style. Its brutal, fast but (sometimes) very heroic.

For magic I would either use the SWEX standard or Solomon Kanes magic system.

I haven't been to the forums in a while. Our campaign has been on hold for almost six months! Anyway, we are starting up again and I am DEFINITELY running it through Savage Worlds. To me, it is the perfect fit.

I do have a few questions: I am mostly using the Solomon Kane book as a base, but I need to make some more specific conversions. The Savage Worlds of Hyboria pdf is an okay start, but the rules seem incomplete. I am currently figuring out racial benefits.

My current strategy is to simply revise the mechanics of all the benefits listed in Conan 2e to SW. For example, Cimmerians would be:

Strength d6: Cimmerians are a naturally tall and strong race, made stronger still, so they believe, by the gifts of Crom.

Smarts costs x2 to raise: Though many have a keen natural cunning, few Cimmerians are capable of a great deal of book learning, nor indeed do they have much opportunity for such education.

Guts d6: Courage even in the face of great adversity is another of Crom’s gifts. Cimmerians begin with a Guts skill of d6.

Climbing d6: Cimmerians are renowned as the finest climbers in the world. Most will have climbed at least one peak that non-Cimmerians would regard as impassable before even leaving their homeland. Cimmerians begin with a Climbing skill of d6.

Persuasion -2: Cimmerians are famously blunt and direct in their speech, a habit that has been known to get them into trouble on any number of occasions.

Continuing in this manner, I am just going to go race by race, keeping the great work done by Mongoose (mostly), but changing the game effects to SW. Any suggestions?

As far as magic... I'll probably just use the basic system from Solomon, but handle spells on a case-by-case basis. It will be a) dangerous and b) dark. I highly doubt any PCs will attempt to use magic.

Finally, I may or may not have a friend who has combined the relevant sections of Conan 2e and SW:SK into one giant book. PM for details.

seanbickford said:
I am mostly using the Solomon Kane book as a base, but I need to make some more specific conversions. The Savage Worlds of Hyboria pdf is an okay start, but the rules seem incomplete.

I'm sure I've heard of more than one SW Conan conversion out there already. Since I don't play SW, I don't have a link, but I be some of these nice folks will.

Back