World Builders help

tytalan

Cosmic Mongoose
So I’ve been working with the world builder’s handbook and I thought a question thread would be nice. Hopefully Geir will be informed about this. So I’ve figured out what cased my first confusion (orbit # thru me off). But now I’m having another problem. There’s quite a few references to “Post Stellar Objects” but I can’t find a definition of what a “Post Stellar Object” is. I’m guessing that this means stars but I would like actual confirmation so can we get a definition please.

A post stellar object is anything that used to be a star, but died. This includes white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes.

A post stellar object is anything that used to be a star, but died. This includes white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes.
What about stars themselves because the modifier says “DM- 1 per post-stellar object (including primary star) “. Does this mean you only count the primary star if it’s one of those died stars. I just want to be clear because the way I read your post you only count the primary star if it’s a post stellar object. (Mostly replying to this post to make things clear for everyone).

This is a good idea for a thread.

Those other two threads are more for error spotting, this thread, if I understand its intent, is to ask questions about the processes involved in using the WBH.

And a greater insight into the intent.

What about stars themselves because the modifier says “DM- 1 per post-stellar object (including primary star) “. Does this mean you only count the primary star if it’s one of those died stars. I just want to be clear because the way I read your post you only count the primary star if it’s a post stellar object. (Mostly replying to this post to make things clear for everyone).
As I understand it, the quote should probably omit the word "star" - a system primary can be a post-stellar object, in which case it (both technically and by definition) is not actually a star any more. And in the case of a system in which the primary is (for instance) a neutron star, that central object should indeed contribute a DM -1 to the roll.

As I understand it, the quote should probably omit the word "star" - a system primary can be a post-stellar object, in which case it (both technically and by definition) is not actually a star any more. And in the case of a system in which the primary is (for instance) a neutron star, that central object should indeed contribute a DM -1 to the roll.
Yes, it might have been better to just say Primary (maybe - dead is after all an adjective in front of star - a corpse is also a dead human). And yes, it counts for the DM-1 if it's dead.

The potential complication is that for the Primary star, if you go down the default table path, a roll of 2- gets you the Special column, which doesn't include dead stars as a Primary - this matches the maps in Charted Space (except for a few purposefully placed objects), but not so much 'Reality'* where single white dwarfs - or pairs of white dwarfs, or the same for brown dwarfs, neutron stars, plus black holes, and mixes of the list - are often the only 'stars' (objects-formerly-known-as-stars?) in the system. For "Reality" as the text suggests, it might be more fun to use the Unusual column instead. And the Optional Variant on page 16 that will make many more red dwarfs.

*Or that version of "Reality" in which the universe is arranged in a single layer of hex-shaped cells.

Back