White Stars

Burger

Cosmic Mongoose
Any tips for painting White Stars, to get them to look like the ones on the Mongoose page? Or even better a step-by-step guide, complete with photos!
Mine look like Zebras on LSD. :(

My White stars are coming out well; give them a base coat of light gray with a white drybrush dusted over the top. Next, stipple (cut an old brush down and paint by dabbing the bristles straight down onto the mini, having first wiped most of the paint off) with a rich purple/blue shade of your choice. Stipple in stripes or patterns, leaving plenty of gray showing. Next, a further stipple of the original gray over the top of the purple, this will deaden the colour and leave it less bright and in your face.
Finally, give a full gloss varnish as this will leave the mini shiny and slick looking as well as well protected. I'll post pictures shortly but this technique seems to work particularly well.

Burger said:
Any tips for painting White Stars, to get them to look like the ones on the Mongoose page? Or even better a step-by-step guide, complete with photos!
Mine look like Zebras on LSD. :(

I would not mind, but he knows where I live, and he knows I can show him how to paint em :p

Ah, they are coming out quite well with that method WC, thanks for the tips :)
Reaverman.. yes I know but it always feels like cheating, you're too good, I wanna do them myself :p

One way to paint your White Stars and give them an organic look like in the tv show is to paint the entire model white or very light blue, then using a small disposable pot ( a spray can lid will do perfectly) fill it with water and add a small amount of dark blue and mid blue enamel paint to the water. Put a piece of string or thread around a section of the miniature and dip it into the water for a few seconds.

Take the miniature out and it should have dark and mid blue mottled markings on its hull, but given the randomness of this method you may have to repeat it a couple of times before you get a result you are pleased with. Hang the thread over something to let the miniature dry fully before you touch it.

I will dig out my White Stars and take some photos of them to show what I mean.

Marc

That's the way I did my Nials and WS fighters (grey with purple ink wash) and they look pretty decent. Takes a little experimenting to get a good mix for the wash (I settled on about 25% ink). Haven't tried it on any of the larger models as yet. If I ever get my paws on a decent camera I'll post some of them.

mine i uc black, then a dark grey - light grey - white Drybrush then 3 i ink purple, 3 i left as, 3 i inked green last 3 will be blue if the last one arrives

Back