White Star fleet

Totally agree on the firing on whitestars themselves, never questioned that, was directed at relation to the fighters.

On the ones that have won a dogfight. This is true should the ship survive the fire of the other fighters. I had thought of this one but thought the amount of precise might make this a moot point. Still you are correct in noting it.

Overlapping fire - we were talking Liata vs Whitestar carrier. If you have other ships so do I. Perhaps even another carrier with another stack of whitestar fighters on your other ships. This way lies madness I tell you!

Seriously though very few ships can manage the 'overlapping fields of fire' with anti fighter weapons if you use the bases Mongoose provides. Most guns are not that much longer ranged than the base is wide. Liata's can but I would not expect to see these out in large numbers, whitestars can but well I hate the civil war arguement and Drahk light raiders can. Its a realtively small number of ships and doesn't really help the Liata that is being attacked as the fighters will do their thing before that other ship can try to get revenge for her lost comrade.

Ripple

well as your carrier will have 2 fighters launched to start with compared to the 2 fighters of a liati then both ur fighters will be intercepted. consider the speed of a liati and it will be in range to hit the new fighters you have just launched with its turreted weapons taking down the whitestar fighters that have just won their dogfights.

Lord David the Denied said:
Whitestar fighters are sounding very powerful. Great dogfighters, great speed, great firepower. Where's the downside?

Its like the are hybrids of Vorlon and Nial fighters getting the best of both worlds

Whitestar fighters are sounding very powerful. Great dogfighters, great speed, great firepower. Where's the downside?

Their low number ?

for onw White Star Fighter you can get 3 Starfury or 4 Sentri.

Goldritter said:

Their low number ?

for onw White Star Fighter you can get 3 Starfury or 4 Sentri.
Actually it's 6 Starfurys or 8 Sentris per White Star Fighter. I believe that you should get two per Skirmish point but as it is, it's only one per FAP. Ho hum, either way, you get a good number of them with the White Star Carrier and I expect to see this as the primary source for most WS Fighters.

i expect to see it as the only source of WS fighters, apart from the occasional one on a gunship. no one in their right mind will use a skirmish point for one fighter.

So you get, what, eight of these fighters on a war-level ship? Yet they cost a skirmish point each?

Maybe I'm more clueless when it comes to maths than I thought, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

For one War Point you can get 16 (or 24 ? ) Skirmish Ships.
Mmmmm......

Is not better then to choose 16 White Star Fighter instantly as to buy the Carrier ?

So you get, what, eight of these fighters on a war-level ship? Yet they cost a skirmish point each?

Maybe I'm more clueless when it comes to maths than I thought, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Goldritter said:
For one War Point you can get 16 (or 24 ? ) Skirmish Ships.
Mmmmm......

Is not better then to choose 16 White Star Fighter instantly as to buy the Carrier ?
You'd get 6 for a War point (well, if you split your points well then effectively that's 8) so there's no reason at all to buy them separately if you were to want 8 of them.

By my calculations they should be two per Skirmish point and then they're about right...no way should you be able to get 6 flights of Thunderbolts/Starfurys instead. The WS Fighter is good, but not that good.

David - you're not daft at all. Aside from the extremely occasional single fighter, it'll be Carriers all the way to get WS Fighters and by this method the Carrier itself is definitely a superbly effective choice for its PL if you ask me...

White Star Fighters are sounding a bit too good to be true, though. For the other races you either get a good dogfighter or a good ship-killer, or a jack-of-all-trades that can't do either job as well. Yet the White Star fighter packs more wallop than the Drazi heavy fighter and is the single best dogfighter going. Especially now that other races can't benefit from good CQ scores for their fighters (apart from the Vree who still get their telepathic bonus).

Isn't anyone else seeing a problem with this?

I must first play a few games aginst WSF.
So I´ve no opinion about these ships today.

Does anybody have gaming experience with WSF ?

White Star Fighters are sounding a bit too good to be true, though. For the other races you either get a good dogfighter or a good ship-killer, or a jack-of-all-trades that can't do either job as well. Yet the White Star fighter packs more wallop than the Drazi heavy fighter and is the single best dogfighter going. Especially now that other races can't benefit from good CQ scores for their fighters (apart from the Vree who still get their telepathic bonus).

Isn't anyone else seeing a problem with this?
Which is why they cost so much to take!

A skirmish point for a fighter flight is steep, I grant, but it's a mean fighter, and eight of them on a war level ship isn't a bad price at all, given the capabilities of the carrier itself.

ISA WS Fighters and Nials are 2 of the three joint best dogfighters in the game, the other being the Minbari Tishat. The ISA CQ bonus evens out the dogfight advantage a Tishat has.

LBH

then add in the fleet carrier bonus for the whitestar carrier :)
as for the rutarion not being a thunderbolt, ok its secondarys are weak so go after hull 6 ships wher eit dont matter, but it dogfights better than a thunderbolt, it has stealth and not only is its primary a DD weapon its precise which doubles you chance of crits (plus your DD weapon on them too) so i put rutarians ahead of thunderbolts. you cant say the centauri dont have good fighters, with the rutarion doing a bit of everything and the raziks as good for dogfighting as nials.

The only obvious issue with the WS-Carrier is that it needs to launch at least 6 of its fighters to be effective - this should easily happen in turn 1 and as long as it doesnt get nailed and the launched fighters caught in the explosion - it is fantastic value points wise as not only are the fighters great but the carrier itself is a great addition to a white star fleet being both reasonably tough and having good weapons in all arcs.

Back