White Star fleet

Ripple said:
Victory still sounds like you might use the lightning canon for a few special occasions. 10 AD is a pretty big beam, it should kill just about anything it shoots out.
Yeah, ouch ;)
And it seems Adaptive Armour stays online when you fire it. over 100 damage/crew with AA, very hard to kill!

katadder said:
except its other guns outgun the lightning canon in one round, let alone the 2 taht a lightning canon stops you firing them for.
Outguns 10AD B/SAP/P/TD???

As a first strike weapon especially with a scout to re-direct it the lighting canon is fantastic - almost worth doing nothing for the next 2 turns - especialy if you can nail 1 war level opponents ship with that blast - admitily if there isnt a single big target worth hitting then all of the other weapons are a much better choice but 10 AD of SAP/TD/P/Beam is a very tempting choice even with only a 20" range

yep at close range without boresighting you get 6AD beam, DD, precise, SAP,
20AD twin linked, 10AD, AP, mini beam plus a rear facing 4AD beam.
to me that outguns 10 AD beam TDm precise in one turn, but then double all the weapons i mentioned above for the turn you also out of action and then you see why the lightning canon isnt worth it, and add in your interceptors for defence, 6 of them without firing the LC on top of ur AA. now if it could fire all weaopns same turn as the lightning canon then it would be cool.
the victory in my ISA when used is an init sink to allow the whitestars to do their thing cos the vic is surviavble and has turreted weapons too.

Guess you're right about the overall damage output, but the LC would be worth it in some situations because you're pretty much guaranteed to do a lot of damage. In SFOS you could fire other weapons and people moaned. Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Personally I like it, apart from the 20" range, don't see why that was changed from 30".

the SFOS WSC-2 was worthwhile in war level games. sure 2 white stars were better than 1 WSC-2 but 2 WSC-2s are better than 3 white stars. also in a campaigne it's cheeper to buy one battle level ship than 2 raid levels.

personaly i don't see what role the WS gunship is suposed to fill in the fleet, i'd rather have seen a mini-carier (say a battle level WS that has a white star fighter and fleet carier) or a scout white star

Burger said:
katadder said:
the liati is far worse as it doesnt get the AA or self repair and its longest range is 12", plus its criplped after 18 damage unlike the WS gunship which has to take 19 (38 for AA).
WS gunship is adrift after 15 crew are killed (30 for AA). There is no self-repair for crew..... new special order required, "Turn on the cloning vats!"
It's this lack of crew that cripples the White Star Gunship. If it had about 30/7 crew then it'd be a very nice War level choice. As it is now, it can take much less damage than a WSC-2 or even a White Star due to low crew score, inability to regenerate crew and its low dodge. Up the crew value and all becomes sweetness and light.

The White Star fighters are good little ships but you could probably have two of them for a single Skirmish point. Given the option between one White Star Fighter and four (or even three) wings of Nials, I'd take the Nials every time.

White Star is now using its tourney stats and I like this a lot. It also makes the WSC-2 a great Battle level choice too.

The Victory - although not so likely to be seen now it's Armageddon level, I think its a beautiful ship and the stats do it justice both in terms of the show and on the table for its PL.

The White Star Carrier is actually probably a bit too hard for its own good. The number of fighters and its fleet carrier trait, etc. all feel right but it's just too survivable and still with as much firepower as the WSC-2. I'll take one almost every time at Raid level now and definitely at Battle level or above...

Commador Q said:
the SFOS WSC-2 was worthwhile in war level games. sure 2 white stars were better than 1 WSC-2 but 2 WSC-2s are better than 3 white stars. also in a campaigne it's cheeper to buy one battle level ship than 2 raid levels.

personaly i don't see what role the WS gunship is suposed to fill in the fleet, i'd rather have seen a mini-carier (say a battle level WS that has a white star fighter and fleet carier) or a scout white star
WS Gunship is supposed to fill the role of fleet heavy cruiser now that the Victory has been bumped up to Armageddon PL.

katadder said:
think taking WS carriers at raid level will get you killed.
Depends how many FAPs you get. Also, it's better than a WSC-2 in almost every way (firepower, survivability), all except for manoeuvrability. Add that to being probably the best carrier in the game (best fighters, lots of them and it's a fleet carrier too) it's still a pretty good choice although not the only one you could make...

if was 5 point raid as is standard would be bad choice anyway. against that prob would even consider a Liati plus some other ships :)

also you would have problems against the vorlons i think with that.

katadder said:
if was 5 point raid as is standard would be bad choice anyway. against that prob would even consider a Liati plus some other ships :)

also you would have problems against the vorlons i think with that.
Yeah, Vorlons would be trouble, but that's true regardless of the size of battle for any fleet choice relying on fighters...

The Liati is only good against White Stars rather than being particularly special against them and doesn't really perform against other ships in general. The Carrier doesn't rely on dodge so much and one on one they're still pretty equal, plus the Carrier has its fighters (surprise, surprise, I think the Liati is very underpowered except for the specific situation of knowing it's facing White Stars).

yes the carrier has its fighters, but how quickly will they go down to all the anti fighter weapons of a Liati, thats the point.

Well the fighters will fire first so maybe they will do okay against the Liati. The precise, DD weapons can actually get the damage through, and with the Carrier being equal to a battle level ship I do not see the Liati's company necessarily being a sure bet once the fighters are down.

I am sure I will get a chance to see it if my group approves use of Armeggedon. Sadly that seems doubtful at the moment.

Ripple

Captain Triggy said:
Commador Q said:

WS Gunship is supposed to fill the role of fleet heavy cruiser now that the Victory has been bumped up to Armageddon PL.

so since the Victory is basicly a giant White Star, the WS gunship is basicly a mini-giant white star?

i just don't see what deficency that fills since there was already a WSC-2 that is only worthwhile at War-level.

Ripple said:
Well the fighters will fire first so maybe they will do okay against the Liati. The precise, DD weapons can actually get the damage through, and with the Carrier being equal to a battle level ship I do not see the Liati's company necessarily being a sure bet once the fighters are down.

I am sure I will get a chance to see it if my group approves use of Armeggedon. Sadly that seems doubtful at the moment.

Ripple

yes the fighters fire 1st if in range but the liati is damn fast for a warship and has 12" range anti fighter weapons

Given the fighters should have at least a ten inch move, and I expect more, under what circumstances do you ever see the 12 inchness of the guns coming into play? The fighters would simply never move within, or stay within if they could not get firing range.

With fighters moving second and firing first, these fighters at least should have relatively little to fear from anti-fighter guns that are not turreted, and then only on ships so large that a stack of them cannot cause it enough harm to disable the guns.

Maybe it is just me but I have only ever been forced to leave a Kotha under fire from any ships secondary or lesser weapons. Even my Sky Serpents have never had that happen and they are just as slow as the Kotha. Wait not entirely true, some Minbari 18 inch secondaries have not been aviodable.

Ripple

Ripple White star fighters have a 16" move so should easily be able to get into range of their chosen targets on all but the first turn. I think with ull 5 and dodge and good speed plus the damage they can kick out - they will represent a major threat to most ships - even more so aganst thoose without anti-fighter weapons or thoose without aft / port / starboard facing weapons

i can see alot more fighters flying CAP :) as for the whitestars coming in, they have to get past the 2 rutarians flying cap, which should be easy, but then they are in range of the liatis turreted anti fighter weaopns, whilst its other anti fighter weapons take down the fighters you have just launched.

Ripple said:
Given the fighters should have at least a ten inch move, and I expect more, under what circumstances do you ever see the 12 inchness of the guns coming into play? The fighters would simply never move within, or stay within if they could not get firing range.

Overlapping fields of fire; firing into units that have won a dogfight; firing on White Stars themselves.

Back