WHAT WILL RQ DO FOR MY STREET CRED?

will playing runequest make me gain or lose street cred?

• I will gain street cred

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will lose street cred

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

burdock

Mongoose
I have not played an RPG for quite a while. Since I was a Chaosium-phile I am excited about the reincarnation of Runequest, But I am concerned that it may be considered "uncool" by the population in general. I have my street cred to consider.

this is my concern....I have a reputation to uphold. I could have asked a more generic question but RQ is the only game I'll be playing so I made the question specific.

No RPG Ruleset will enhance one's street cred.

Anyone who thinks it might is either living in Geek-land, or delusional.

A good ruleset will, however, enhance one's gaming.

Being a good GM will enhance one's gamer cred....

A good GM and a Good system make for awesome play.

It'll hurt geek cred as well :)

A true geek would never be seen dead playing a game someone else had written, instead they would be continually playtesting and refining their own 10,000 page ruleset that they have been working on for the past eight years - the one stored in a set of thirty colour-coded ring binders with handwritten notes in the margins added during play sessions, the one with the fifty-page set of cross-indexed crit tables; twenty-eight different variant schools of magic (each with six subschools); stats for typical members of every single country's law enforcement agencies and armed forces, as well as troops throughout history (along with detailed lists of equipment going back as far as the battle of hastings); appendices adapting the base ruleset for play in any number of alternative game worlds; fantasy, modern, and sci-fi variants; three entire alternative chapters for combat and detailed background and stats on every single fantasy monster ever mentioned more than once in a piece of fiction.

And when that ubergeek finally has to visit the game store for new dice, and notices what has come out for D&D over the past five years, they're going to scream plaguarism.... ;D

mthomason said:
It'll hurt geek cred as well :)

A true geek would never be seen dead playing a game someone else had written, instead they would be continually playtesting and refining their own 10,000 page ruleset that they have been working on for the past eight years - the one stored in a set of thirty colour-coded ring binders with handwritten notes in the margins added during play sessions, the one with the fifty-page set of cross-indexed crit tables; twenty-eight different variant schools of magic (each with six subschools); stats for typical members of every single country's law enforcement agencies and armed forces, as well as troops throughout history (along with detailed lists of equipment going back as far as the battle of hastings); appendices adapting the base ruleset for play in any number of alternative game worlds; fantasy, modern, and sci-fi variants; three entire alternative chapters for combat and detailed background and stats on every single fantasy monster ever mentioned more than once in a piece of fiction.

And when that ubergeek finally has to visit the game store for new dice, and notices what has come out for D&D over the past five years, they're going to scream plaguarism.... ;D

So Rolemaster then . . . . . . .

:twisted:

SteveMND said:
No RPG Ruleset will enhance one's street cred.

Absolutely. I think the question would be better posed as whether or not MRQ will enhance or hurt one's geek cred... :)

Well, Steve, It's given me impetus to be geeky one more place on the internet....

A true geek would never be seen dead playing a game someone else had written, instead they would be continually playtesting and refining their own 10,000 page ruleset that they have been working on for the past eight years - the one stored in a set of thirty colour-coded ring binders with handwritten notes in the margins added during play sessions, (...)

Man, this brings me back. Of course, a few years ago I transcribed everything over to MS Word files and started working on doing fancy maps in Photoshop, but still... :)

And when that ubergeek finally has to visit the game store for new dice, and notices what has come out for D&D over the past five years, they're going to scream plaguarism...

Hehe. :D Well, certainly not plagiarism, but every now and then one has to hang his head and sigh when all these nifty ideas he originally thought of start showing up in bits and pieces in various other RPGs over the years... kinda makes you wonder if you should have done anything about it way back when... :)[/url]

SteveMND said:
A true geek would never be seen dead playing a game someone else had written, instead they would be continually playtesting and refining their own 10,000 page ruleset that they have been working on for the past eight years - the one stored in a set of thirty colour-coded ring binders with handwritten notes in the margins added during play sessions, (...)

Man, this brings me back. Of course, a few years ago I transcribed everything over to MS Word files and started working on doing fancy maps in Photoshop, but still... :)

And when that ubergeek finally has to visit the game store for new dice, and notices what has come out for D&D over the past five years, they're going to scream plaguarism...

Hehe. :D Well, certainly not plagiarism, but every now and then one has to hang his head and sigh when all these nifty ideas he originally thought of start showing up in bits and pieces in various other RPGs over the years... kinda makes you wonder if you should have done anything about it way back when... :)[/url]

You sound as mad as me Lol, all my RQ Campaigns are in Folders. Every now and again I go back to them and type one or two up properly and re-do any adventure maps on the PC (they were originally drawn by hand).

I don't know why, I'm the only one who ever reads them . . . . .

Sad eh?

Not really; at least yours actually got to see the light of day. My Epic Campaign World has as yet never been used in an actual campaign, because I never feel I'm done with it yet (that anal-retentive perfectionist streak in me)...

I'm begining to think at this point it's simply turned into a massive thesis on theoretical mythologies, cultures and biology. At least my college major in Anthropology and minor in Comparative Religions is doing something for me. :)

Back