WHAT WILL RQ DO FOR MY STREET CRED?

will playing runequest make me gain or lose street cred?

• I will gain street cred

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will lose street cred

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lol! That is harsh.

I did Music and Theater at University, but my all consuming passion outside of Education has always been Archeology and Ancient Cultures.

ALL my RQ Games were set in Glorantha, I would live there if I could Lol.

burdock said:
I have not played an RPG for quite a while. Since I was a Chaosium-phile I am excited about the reincarnation of Runequest, But I am concerned that it may be considered "uncool" by the population in general. I have my street cred to consider.

This is joke right? Please say it is. "Street Cred" and roleplaying are mutually exclusive. Seize your inner geek and abandon society's conventions of cool. Geek Power!

SteveMND said:

Not really; at least yours actually got to see the light of day. My Epic Campaign World has as yet never been used in an actual campaign, because I never feel I'm done with it yet (that anal-retentive perfectionist streak in me)...

I'm begining to think at this point it's simply turned into a massive thesis on theoretical mythologies, cultures and biology. At least my college major in Anthropology and minor in Comparative Religions is doing something for me. :)

Look on the bright side. You stillhave your notes/work. Between moviing, a fire, three hard drive crashes, back up discs that didn't, and a stolen laptop (with all the innfo from the then active campaign), about 80% of all the gaming stuff I even wrote is long gone.

haargald wrote

"Street Cred" and roleplaying are mutually exclusive.

yet I thought Runequest might be different.

This is no joke, over the years I have become WELL COOL and I'm not sure if it is worth sacrificing that reputation to gain the rich experiences I have had by playing Runequest. This poll will decide my future involvement with the game......so far the poll is suggesting that Runequest is different.....that it is a uniquely cool roleplaying game.......thus enabling me to play it..... though the comments in this thread don't mirror the actual poll!

burdock said:
haargald wrote

"Street Cred" and roleplaying are mutually exclusive.

yet I thought Runequest might be different.

This is no joke, over the years I have become WELL COOL and I'm not sure if it is worth sacrificing that reputation to gain the rich experiences I have had by playing Runequest. This poll will decide my future involvement with the game......so far the poll is suggesting that Runequest is different.....that it is a uniquely cool roleplaying game.......thus enabling me to play it..... though the comments in this thread don't mirror the actual poll!

Uh, people with street cred, don't take polls on forums either. Rather than asking a bunch of gamers what they think you should find some friends with street cred and ask them what they think?

I'm not sure if gamers can be considered an unbiased opinion on this one.

But, what is more important to you. Doing what you think is cool, or doing what everyone else thinks is cool for you to do?

atgxtg wrote

Doing what you think is cool, or doing what everyone else thinks is cool for you to do?

In the years of developing my status as Chief Dude I learned very quickly that "cool" is a dynamic that happens between people rather than a state isolated within a single human mind. Mastering this dynamic helps keep my chick-count up.

mthomason said:
A true geek would never be seen dead playing a game someone else had written, instead they would be continually playtesting and refining their own 10,000 page ruleset that they have been working on for the past eight years - the one stored in a set of thirty colour-coded ring binders...etc.

Ugh, God. I know that guy.

burdock said:
atgxtg wrote

Doing what you think is cool, or doing what everyone else thinks is cool for you to do?

In the years of developing my status as Chief Dude I learned very quickly that "cool" is a dynamic that happens between people rather than a state isolated within a single human mind. Mastering this dynamic helps keep my chick-count up.

If you're THAT cool, why don't you just go find a bunch of babes RQers to game with?

People who proclaim themselves to be cool are typically like those who proclaim themselves to be dangerous and deadly.

Seriously self-deluding :D

If you are truly "cool," you shouldn't care what anyone thinks of you.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm saying just be yourself, and don't sweat it.

Life is much to short to not enjoy

It is what you think of yourself that matters not what others think of you, this will make you happy.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
Buddha.

burdock said:

burdock said:

These are the two best posts I have ever seen on an RPG forum. Nothing - nothing - will ever beat these.

Since I use RQ, I am much much much more cooler and suddenly my favorite soccer team just wins ervery match. And... I think I lost weight around my hip. :p
Just because I bought RQ!
When I want a girl and don't like to talk, make compliments, take her out, I just show her my RQ Hardcover Core Rule Book and my Street Index (oh sorry, it's another game) boosts up, and she 's mine.

Doesn't work with D&D gamers!

8)

Well, even as a writer on and fan of the MRQ, I woudl have to say that the only way that RQ will give you any "street cred" is:

...if you beat some tough guy about the head and shoulders with the book and then gave him a Chelsea Grin with the GMs Screen (which I am in no way supporting as a sound use of our products).

Seriously. You are only as cool as society wants to tell you that you are that day (look at celebrity fickle-ness), so don't worry about it.

-Bry

DBC wrote

These are the two best posts I have ever seen on an RPG forum. Nothing - nothing - will ever beat these.

Why thankyou, sir.

homerjsinnot wrote:

It is what you think of yourself that matters not what others think of you, this will make you happy.

Sometimes I feel the peace that is at the core of all existance, but never-the-less I am aware that the actions I take have effects in the world and those effects reverberate back at me...so I prefer to cultivate actions that pronounce my inherent Way-Cooler-Than-Most-ness, as this makes my situation in this transient life far more amenable. And, it would seem, playing RQ is going to earn me the awe and respect that is naturally mine.

Dead Blue Clown said:

burdock said:
Sometimes I feel the peace that is at the core of all existance, but never-the-less I am aware that the actions I take have effects in the world and those effects reverberate back at me...so I prefer to cultivate actions that pronounce my inherent Way-Cooler-Than-Most-ness, as this makes my situation in this transient life far more amenable. And, it would seem, playing RQ is going to earn me the awe and respect that is naturally mine.

How about equal?

atgxtg said:
Dead Blue Clown said:

burdock said:

How about equal?

Good call, Atgxtg.

On a side note, I showed this thread to my girlfriend earlier. She managed to stomach reading an RPG forum for three seconds, bless her. I gave her this warning: "This guy is either a hilarious joker or he's insane." I wasn't sure. Not at first, anyway.

She assumed he was being funny. I hope she's right, I really do.

Dead Blue Clown said:
Good call, Atgxtg.

Good to still be on speaking terms.

Dead Blue Clown said:
On a side note, I showed this thread to my girlfriend earlier. She managed to stomach reading an RPG forum for three seconds, bless her. I gave her this warning: "This guy is either a hilarious joker or he's insane." I wasn't sure. Not at first, anyway.

Must we view this in terms of black & white? I'm thinking shades of grey might be more fitting. They are not mutually excusive conditions.

rurik wrote

He scares me.

Dudes. Don't worry. You have me with you. If this poll turns out positive then I will be playing Runequest. This will make Runequest (by association) the coolest thing you can do. In turn this will make you lot (by association) the coolest dudes on earth. Stick with me bros and you're in a win-win situation.

DBC wrote

This guy is either a hilarious joker or he's insane

Even if this is a hilarious joke - how cool is that?

Back