VTT - Fantasy Grounds, Foundry & Roll20

Demon Samurai

Mongoose
Hi Guys,

I use FGU to play our Traveller games online, and I'm very happy with it. I do think however, that Mongoose could bring more people into the game, or at least help some people who play online by having some sort of official character sheet on Foundry & Roll20. There is a (not particularly great) character sheet on Roll20 and a Cepheus one on Foundry, but nothing that looks like the official Mongoose character sheets. is there anything in the pipeline for those people who don't use FGU? (and there are a lot). Cheers.

Yeah, I'm starting an R20 game myself and I'm not very much in love with the sheet that's available there. It's what they have, and I'll work with it, but it really isn't as nice or useful as other companies.

So Mongoose, we could really use some VTT support here....

Yes, the character sheet on Roll20 is functional at best. It does seem to have some bugs even, as I've had it happen in my games that players' info disappears from the sheet with no explanation why. A new sheet would very much be appreciated. Thus far, I've been limping along with the current sheet, but it really frustrates me and isn't a great "calling card"/advertisement for new players. C'mon Mongoose, get someone to do a professional character sheet for Traveller on Roll20, please!

Having seen what is possible for character sheets on Roll20, e.g. the Free League ones for Alien RPG or Twilight 2000 4e, it would be a dream to have something approaching even half their functionality with a smooth, professional layout and appearance.

I wanted to drop in on this one as well - I'd really like to see compendium for foundryVTT. They would be something I would pay for, along with the book / PDF.

The current TwoDSix system for Foundry is actually pretty good and is continually improving... but could really benefit from something as simple as compendiums featuring the official skill list, gear, and maybe some common starships. If I could buy these things rather than having to manually enter them on an as-needed basis, it'd be much more likely my next long-running campaign would be in Traveller rather than some other system where there are fewer wheels to re-invent.

I'm currently running a Traveller Game on Roll20. It's been lots of fun. I ended up using the setting for my game at Travellercon-USA.

I love playing Traveller with my friends online - been doing it on Roll20 for about 5 yrs with no issues.
Branched out to Foundry vtt to check it out.. converted The Relic over to Foundry but haven't published it yet.
I've got an adventure and a few classic starship deck plans on roll20 marketplace - you can also use my ship deck plans on any vtt system.
More to come on both Foundry and Roll20 platforms.
In casee you are interested, here's a link to resources about playing Traveller on Roll20:

Last edited:
I love playing Traveller with my friends online - been doing it on Roll20 for about 5 yrs with no issues.
Branched out to Foundry vtt to check it out.. converted The Relic over to Foundry but haven't published it yet.
The systems do work, it's just the idea of getting all the information in there - equipment, tables etc (for me at least!). It's a lot of work up front, even just for the core rulebooks. I definitely want to use VTTs more.

If you do publish the relic for Foundry, I will be interested to see what it looks like / how adventures can be set up for use.

The systems do work, it's just the idea of getting all the information in there - equipment, tables etc (for me at least!). It's a lot of work up front, even just for the core rulebooks. I definitely want to use VTTs more.

If you do publish the relic for Foundry, I will be interested to see what it looks like / how adventures can be set up for use.
I have already converted it but packaging it for delivery is a huge pain - it's been the stopping point for a lot of my Foundry projects.
I love roll20, but honestly, the Foundry version came out a LOT better.

I get the issues, I really don't envy Mongoose (or other publishers), with the different VTT's out there, its a big ask to publish content for each of them. <meta> it would be great if there was a standard syntax or format that each could import </meta>

Just starting my first active game this Friday. Going roll20 mainly because I didn't want to rebuy everything in order to use Foundry.

They are not, but since I have a roll20 account, it was going to cost serious money to spin up foundry. If this campaign goes well I'll consider it, but my urge to buy a special walled in version of foundry data is low given how much Ive spent on books and pdf's already.

They are not, but since I have a roll20 account, it was going to cost serious money to spin up foundry. If this campaign goes well I'll consider it, but my urge to buy a special walled in version of foundry data is low given how much Ive spent on books and pdf's already.
Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I went for foundry as I didn't want another subscription - its great there is a choice, so peoople can find the right playing approach for them. I hope the campaign goes well! :)

We dont use roll20 as a traveller compendium - we just use it for the automated character sheets, deck plans, maps, minis, and dice.

Roll20 is a great way to get started - it's free and runs in your browser.

The open character sheet they have works fine and we all own pdf or hardcopy of the core rules if we need to look something up.

I made this video on how to use Roll20 for Traveller players, if anybody is interested:

Fantasy Grounds on Steam has actual Mongoose Traveller compendium support, though.

There is also the twodsix module for foundry which can add character sheets etc. It when equipment or roll tables come in, that it becomes quite time intensive. Being able to buy the compendia from Mongoose would really help there.

Fantasy Grounds is probably great (I've never used it), it really is quite expense to buy all the books, essentially again though - I am sure there are others who started there who are very happy on the platform.

We dont use roll20 as a traveller compendium - we just use it for the automated character sheets, deck plans, maps, minis, and dice.

Roll20 is a great way to get started - it's free and runs in your browser.

The open character sheet they have works fine and we all own pdf or hardcopy of the core rules if we need to look something up.

I made this video on how to use Roll20 for Traveller players, if anybody is interested:

Fantasy Grounds on Steam has actual Mongoose Traveller compendium support, though.
Thanks for posting this!

I'd also love to get compendiums for FoundryVTT.

I imagine that the SRDs are fair game for publicly creating (and perhaps these are already part of the twodsix system).

One other model that I've heard about is from [pdftofoundry](https://www.foundryvtt-hub.com/package/pdftofoundry/) (or perhaps another module, I don't recall offhand). The idea was that someone has entered a bunch of the data (which is no doubt copyrighted) into FoundryVTT, and that data can be injected into FoundryVTT if you can prove that you have legitimately purchased the source material from the publisher.

It's an idea that keeps knocking around in my head: that if publishers are able to somehow verify if someone should be able to use their copyrighted material, community members can potentially do the legwork of converting it to their favoured VTT, and sharing that work with others without breaking copyright.

Of course, this begs the question of if publishers are happy to do that, and also how to implement in a way that doesn't risk pirating content (at least to the publishers' satisfaction), and also preserves privacy of the publishers' customers.

Back