Vor: The Maelstrom

Well I'm not going to pummel you, after reading the rules I too thought the Action Point system was going to slow down the game. However, when I actually got into playing the I found it didn't. Not only did it not slow things down as bad as I thought, it provided some very tactical and realistic movement. This was one mechanic that made Vor stand out over Ultimate Warzone (my other favorite TTG rules system).

I'd never pummel you.

*secretly unsheathes a small cruel blade from a concealed part of jacket*
:twisted:
Just kidding :lol: . You are entitled to your opinion. I have not even read the rules yet to be honest.

Still, it is oll that you picked up themodels. I really like the Golem and shard. They are the ones for me.

I have to admit that the 'design your own force' section is super wicked awesome.

Glad to see there is another Vor person on the Foru m.

That reminds me, I have to buy models.... :oops:

Unlike a lot of games Vor allows for a very realistic sequence of actions.

You can move, fire a weapon once, then move again (not too far admitedly) into cover.

The MP (Movement Points) seems 'clunky' on paper, but when its played certain things become apparent. You have to 'spend' the same amount of MP's on actual movement for each member of a Unit (thusly messing up the firing of Heavier Weapons if you want to achieve something specific by moving) which makes book-keeping surprisingly easy.

"Suck it and see" is my philosophy about rules, as its unlikely you will be able to tell is a rules set is for you by just reading them!

Give them a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Interesting to here. I think that there is still a small following here in Vegas, so I might have to look into it. Thanks for the info everyone! :D

Ah, Vor.....if only MGP could get the rights. If they could make Vor, Warzone/Chronopia and Rogue Trader/2nd edition 40K I'd be so damn happy... :D
This would really be somethign to look into, I know ridiculous amounts of people who are ex-Vor and miss it.

Looks like Ral Partha are still producing figures, which means either getting that license off them as well or settling for just the rulebook licence (which not many people would want to do)

mthomason said:
Looks like Ral Partha are still producing figures, which means either getting that license off them as well or settling for just the rulebook licence (which not many people would want to do)

Ral and Iron Wind, as the license is split between the US and Europe for the Miniatures.

Brother Jim said:
No Limits

No Limits is another game system that is suprisingly similar to Vor. It's a generic game system so you can build any army you like and use any minis you like. It has a more developed custom force bulider than Vor. If you like the Vor mechanics, you'll like No Limits.

I've been submitting ideas for more traits. Trying to get enough that you can emulate the traits of armies from various game systems.

There's several custom armies already up there. I've been roughing out a few, including a Mobile Infantry army list.

The nice thing with this system is that you can play any faction you like, using any minis you have. Picture Mobile Infantry vs. Growlers vs. Tyranids vs. Mishima Samurai vs. Syntha Androsynths.

Best of all, it's free.

Mage said:
Why is that?

When Fasa Closed its doors, they only 'reclaimed' licenses that they cared about. Others (like VOR) reverted to the creators and the artists.

As Ral Partha had sculpted the miniatures, they secured the rights. When Ral US closed its doors, former employees formed Ironwind - buying up any stray molds and the rights to cast from them. So the License got 'split'.

Mage said:
So which is better?

Haven't played "No Limits" yet. I really liked the way Vor played, reminded me a lot of Warzone (God, I miss that game !!), but the "custom forces" rules typically bent you over and did rude things to you with a chainsaw.

Let me explain, the typical "Union" grunt costs 28 points in the Forcebook, but build him with the custom forces rules and he costs 47. The stat line is the same, but the rifle and pistol both cost an extra "Action Point" to use and the pistol can't be fired in close combat like the one from the Forcebook.

The Neo-Soviet Rad-Trooper with the AK actually comes out the same as the book version when built using the "custom forces" rules, but it isn't possible to build the Rad-Trooper with two SMG's. The twin SMG's are built as a single weapon with a maximum uses per turn of 3, which also isn't in the "custom forces" rules.

I don't have my books handy and I haven't played in a long time but those are the things I remember.

There were things 'baked' into the official factions that were not included in the custom force builder rules that came in the core rulebook. This was noted in the beginning of that section. Part of it was because the custom force builder wasn't fully fleshed out, and part of it was to make the official factions the most desirable. There was supposed to be a full blown Custom Force Builder put out that was supposed to create forces that closer matched the official factions, unfortunately it did not make it to the printers when Fasa closed their doors.

Garet said:
The first novel wrote for the game was really good and gave a good feel for the universe. The others were good, but that one just blew me away. :shock:

Vor the maelstrom : into the maelstrom by Loren L. Coleman

The Playback War is also a good one. Kind of odd til you figure out exactly what is going on.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Mage said:
So which is better?

Played both, No Limits compared to VOR (for me anyway) is a bit like Drinking Lager when you prefer Guinness.

So for those of us that don't drink (or at least not in a long time anyway), what exactly does that mean?

Back