Travellers Needed - Core Rulebook Reprint

A quick poll...

We mention the use of KCr in the Core Rulebook (as in Cr, KCr, and MCr), but we never properly implemented it.

Would you like us to do so in the equipment chapter?

MongooseMatt said:
We mention the use of KCr in the Core Rulebook (as in Cr, KCr, and MCr), but we never properly implemented it.

Yes, please. :)

Traveller was the first place where I heard the military parlance of "klicks" for "kilometres." You could put in a little table in the introduction to introduce the terms KCr = kilocredit, 1000 Credits, and so on. Go up to TCr = Teracredit, 1000 GCr, without the final full stop after "Cr" if you can.

Oh ... one thing. Money really needs a nickname, like "spondoolicks." How about "Chromium" after the chemical symbol for the element?

"How do we bring down that billionaire?" "Easy. We follow the chromium."

One more thing - a small table of the SI prefixes somewhere would be a great way to introduce the readers to the prefixes from yotta- to yocto-. Nothing adds verisimilitude to science fiction than a referee who knows the difference between Mega and Giga.

MongooseMatt said:
A quick poll...

Indeed, I would. I liked the usage of it in previous editions of Traveller and I think it adds to the game.

MongooseMatt said:
A quick poll...

Pretty much so, yes.
How do you intend to implement it?

alex_greene said:
"How do we bring down that billionaire?" "Easy. We follow the chromium."

One more thing - a small table of the SI prefixes somewhere would be a great way to introduce the readers to the prefixes from yotta- to yocto-. Nothing adds verisimilitude to science fiction than a referee who knows the difference between Mega and Giga.
I like both, the SI prefixes (Go, metric system, go!) and the "lingo" name for money. Nothing says Scifi more than running a heist to tank a "multi yotta-chromium megacorp's business on a world. But I think lingo for money would vary from world to world or at least by sectors and cultures. The post-Sindalian Trojan Reach might call it something that reminds one of Sindalian coinage (probably dragon dublons or what-not), while Spinward Marchers probably call their Imperial Credits something different.

:)
Ursus Maior said:
I like both, the SI prefixes (Go, metric system, go!) and the "lingo" name for money. Nothing says Scifi more than running a heist to tank a "multi yotta-chromium megacorp's business on a world. But I think lingo for money would vary from world to world or at least by sectors and cultures. The post-Sindalian Trojan Reach might call it something that reminds one of Sinalian coinage (probably dragon dublons or what-not), while Spinward Marchers probably call their Imperial Credits something different.

I'd like to second this.

I would really like to see an eBook format OTHER than PDF. Preferably ePub (you know, the one which is an actual standard supported by pretty much everyone, except for one stupid company). That would make it so that I can change the font on my tablet making it easier to read.

MongooseMatt said:
A quick poll...

I am a bit concerned that it would then mean having to redo all the other books that way, which would be more of a version 3 sort of lift, but on the other hand, it sure is easier to read KCr100 than Cr100000. So sure, go for it.
How about GCr for the capital ships that are too many MCr to see straight?

Old School said:
Please no with the cheesy names for money. Let people come up with their own if they so desire. Credits. Credits are good.

100% agree. 'Credits' is fine, anything else is better treated as a house rule IMO.

The use of the slang term "Chromium" evokes "chrome," which is sci fi and cyberpunk slang for "bling."

A nickname for money doesn't change any game rules, doesn't make combat run faster, doesn't turn into a weapon to beat up the Travellers with.
What it does do is add a unique flavour to Traveller - something you can use to tell people you're playing this game as compared to, well, M-Space.

Just calling everything "Credits" is dry, dusty, and perhaps it even breaks immersion when the streetwise characters keep using the term instead of their favourite nickname for cash, "Chromium."

But at the same time, the slang name for credits is going to vary by location, culture and setting. I would expect the Zhodani, Vargr and Aslan have their own terms for the Imperial Credit, just as I imagine that people on Mora, Capital and Terra would all have different slang names for it. It might even be reasonable for people on Mora and Fornice, 2 parsecs away, to have their own slang terms.

Going back to something Matt said in his post on the 6th. I would like to argue against the inlcusion of starship creation rules in the core book. While I understand why people want them in there I think it diminishes the purpose of High Guard, and can lead to additional confusion. For example page 157 of the core rules states that a turret with one or more missile racks holds 12 missiles and a turret with one or more sandcasters holds 20 canisters. The same section in High Guard page 25 should be identical but instead states that a missile rack holds 12 missiles and a sandcaster holds 12 canisters for 36 missiles/sand canisters on a triple turret.

Any place where the same rules are supposed to be reprinted can lead to editing errors and player confusion so the fewer pages dedicated to duplicating rules text the better. It also means that these pages can be dedicated to expanding current sections or providing more new content. For instance I would love to see more put into creatures / expanding the creature creation rules, or revising/expanding the quick NPC creation rules, maybe using the package-based creation rules presented in the Companion.

One further point I would like to make is that I have seen confusion around whether the Cr250000 cost of missiles is per missile or per ton. Please can you consider being more explicit when specifying costs for ammunition as while CRB implies the cost is per ton, later books, like High Guard, are non-specific or imply cost is per missile.

alex_greene said:
The use of the slang term "Chromium" evokes "chrome," which is sci fi and cyberpunk slang for "bling."

A nickname for money doesn't change any game rules, doesn't make combat run faster, doesn't turn into a weapon to beat up the Travellers with.
What it does do is add a unique flavour to Traveller - something you can use to tell people you're playing this game as compared to, well, M-Space.

Just calling everything "Credits" is dry, dusty, and perhaps it even breaks immersion when the streetwise characters keep using the term instead of their favourite nickname for cash, "Chromium."

You're trying to impose a setting on the Core Rulebook, which is intended to be setting agnostic. While the core rules can be used in any sci-fi or modern setting, Mongoose's official setting is the OTU, which uses "credit" as it's currency. Sorry if Traveller's a bit dry for your tastes. Nothing prevents you from spicing it up at your own game table. There's also plenty of cyberpunk settings and systems out there for to pick from.

A thousand credits should abbreviate to kCr not KCr...

chromium as slang for money - lol, just lol; no, even better, rofl rofl

More seriously - the generic term credit works well because you can change it if you want to make it setting specific, but if it was changed in the core rule book, well back to lol and rofl.

The OTU slang for Imperial credits has been crimps for a long time now... never once heard of chromium lol

The point about the flavour of the CRB is a good one - is this to be the Mongoose Traveller 2e Third Imperium roleplaying game or is it still Mongoose Traveller 2.1 edition roleplaying suitable for bespoke setting design.

Sigtrygg said:
The OTU slang for Imperial credits has been crimps for a long time now... never once heard of chromium
Cite your source lol

Side note: I knew I should have left it in the rough draft of Cosmopolite.

This thread clearly demonstrates that the term "grognard" needs to be clearly defined in the core rules book.

[Cue 20 pages of arguments about what grognard actually means....]

Crimp, I believe, was originally mentioned in the Demon Princes.

I always thought that made it ideal as a portmanetau for Credite Imperiale.

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Imperial_Currency

The Imperial Credit is sometimes informally known as the CRIMP (Credit Imperial).
A megacredit is one million credits. Megacredits are abbreviated MCr. [1]

So the wiki got it from somewhere

Back