Traveller Release Schedule 2024

And let's not forget life support.

How it works, and how much it costs, exactly.

And how long for suffocation to set in, when it's off.

I suppose, temperature as well - does it get hotter or colder?

Will you finally explain where waste heat goes?
Will you make some attempt to reconcile known science with the handwavium?
Will you explain gravitics - artificial gravity, acceleration compensation, null-grav modules
What will the m-drive paradigm be this time around?
Will you end the hydrogen filled jump bubble debate?
Will you include the ramifications of damper technology at TL12?
This is where I am worried about the book since there are some things (null-grav, H2 jump bubbles) that they could declare canon but I strongly dislike, could not justify and would not use IMTU.

To some extent; for instance, we point out that nuclear dampers are in large part what makes fusion reactions so easy by artificially decreasing the repulsion between nuclides due to the strong force, therefore requiring colder temperatures to achieve fusion at the cost of the energy yield in the reaction.
This'll be the second time today I mention the Coulomb Barrier problem - this, kids, is the main reason why it takes so much energy to cause fusion, and we get so little in return.
So damper tech starts with strong force manipulation as used to overcome the Coulomb Barrier. Cool. :) That means it starts about TL 9, before they understand the principles enough to be able to create dampers as defensive weapons.
I'm going to enjoy reading this book.

There is more to workable fusion than overcoming the coulomb barrier...
for example weak force interaction and quantum tunneling.
Our current methods all work by brute force - ie temperatures much higher than found in the cores of stars.

Add strong artificial gravity to the mix and the first break through will be "gravitic catalysis" - TL9ish.

Nuclear damper tech manipulating the "strong force " raises the question of which force you are talking about. Within protons and neutrons virtual gluons are postulated as binding quarks, but the binding between nucleons is due to the exchange of mesons (currently these may be virtual).

What is for certain is that TL12 allows manipulation of these "forces" which give rise to nuclear dampers, meson guns, meson screens and very likely "damper catalysis" of fusion reactions.

What breakthrough allows for the TL15 advance is something that is never mentioned, but reverse engineering of black globe technology suggests there is some new physics there.

Words to avoid
string theory - quantum gravity is a better catch all
dark energy and dark matter - ever hear of caloric theory, phlogiston and the ether?

Better yet take a look at constructor theory...

I really wish I could get involved with the alpha version of this book.

Whilst I appreciate ambition to keep the physics as close to our current understanding as possible, not everyone needs to know the underlying principles enabling any given component or tool to operate

Too deep a dive into principles may detract from the high level intent and audience - hard to strike a balance here

We must not forget this is a game, not an extrapolation of real world physics. A believable but technically incomplete explanation is all that is required

Hi folks, slightly off topic but I'm looking for rules on upgrading existing starships. I cannot find these in the old High Guard. Are they in the 2022 High Guard or new Starship Operators' Manual? If not there then where as this must be something that most Travellers want to do...

Hi folks, slightly off topic but I'm looking for rules on upgrading existing starships. I cannot find these in the old High Guard. Are they in the 2022 High Guard or new Starship Operators' Manual? If not there then where as this must be something that most Travellers want to do...
HG2022 pp70-72, "Customising Ships" chapter attempts to cover this (I've just reached that chapter). What kind of upgrades do you have in mind?
[above edited for correct page numbers]

I've just finished a draft "extended contents" to HG2022 (see attached PDF).

Attachments

• traveller-high-guard-2022.pdf
    46.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
HG2022 pp70-72, "Customising Ships" chapter attempts to cover this (I've just reached that chapter). What kind of upgrades do you have in mind?
[above edited for correct page numbers]

I've just finished a draft "extended contents" to HG2022 (see attached PDF).
Thanks. Will take a look. It's the M drive. Players were caught in a space battle with a M1 drive so they're worried. Actually external thrusters is also being suggested.

You could weld on a spare manoeuvre drive, but total acceleration factor is lowest common denominator (which means requisite technological level for all drives), and your hull configuration is now dispersed.

Labour (plus miscellaneous) cost would be fifty percent of the newly attached drive's production cost.

Whilst I appreciate ambition to keep the physics as close to our current understanding as possible, not everyone needs to know the underlying principles enabling any given component or tool to operate
That is not even close to what I would like. What I advise is to avoid using real world physics beyond TL8.

By TL9 gravitics and jump drive require new physics - do not use current physics to try and explain them.
Similarly TL12 damper tech requires new physics way beyond our current understanding of things.
Too deep a dive into principles may detract from the high level intent and audience - hard to strike a balance here
The basic principles need to be understood well enough to assure consistency, but again it is a problem of paradigm shifts.
TL15 Imperial science knows things that can not be discovered at all at TL12 or TL9, and the understanding of gravitics, jumptech, and fundamental forces changes as the paradigm changes - hence my dig at phlogiston, ether, and calorific theory.
We must not forget this is a game, not an extrapolation of real world physics. A believable but technically incomplete explanation is all that is required
It can not be an extrapolation of real world science since real world science can not begin to explain GJDF theory.

Hence my warning about using string theory, dark energy, and dark matter because as yet they are observations not laws or theories - no experimental evidence.

Last edited:
Back on topic; aside of those two titles:

2300AD: Invasion
2300AD: Building the Frontier

What else are in the plan for 2300AD?

Also, what is "Singularity"? I think I've missed the X-boat on that one.

Forgive me if there is a thread dedicated to this topic. Are there any updates on the Traveller Open Game License? I think the State of Mongoose address said it would ideally be released in early 2024.

With regard to the starship operators handbook, I'm very much looking forward to this. What I particularly want, however, is more game mechanics and procedures along the lines of the tasks and activities at the end of the DGP book. I'd love to see an expansion of that. I'm far less interested in tons of waffle and technobabble about how jump drives and anti-gravity systems supposedly work.

Back