MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The following e-books have just been posted on Drivethru;

Universe of Babylon 5
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=62354

The Trouble with Drazi
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=62355

Note: The Universe of Babylon 5 has been fully updated. If you have a printed copy, drop us a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com with proof of purchase (a scanned or emailed receipt is just fine, or failing that a photo of you holding the book at a jaunty angle - if you bought it direct from us, your current email address will be sufficient), and we will send you the PDF for free via Drivethru.

msprange said:
Note: The Universe of Babylon 5 has been fully updated.
Does the update include more than the errata already available ?

If not, I am quite happy with my printed version and do not need the
PDF. :)

msprange said:
a photo of you holding the book at a jaunty angle

Awww dang. If I checked the boards before work I could have gotten that done this morning. Oh well, it'll have to wait until tonight.

but ... Yeah for the updated copy!!!

Just bought it. First impressions: Layout looks good, clean and readable.

Graphics are, well, muddy, to put it kindly. The use of a photo of a miniature for the Heavy Tank was especially ill-advised. More illustrations, of a higher quality, would have been a great idea. Deckplans of a fighter are really not needed, but for the light shuttle would have been very handy. Some illustrations of any of the spacecraft, rather than just the deckplans, would have been appreciated. The text in the Star Fury diagrams is almost unreadable.

Meh. I'll have more of a detailed reaction after I actually read through it, but those are my first impressions. And they are not good ones, I'm afraid.

Ugh. There isn't even a diagram of the station in the book. A cutaway, even fairly basic, like the 1st Edition D20 book (the only other Babylon 5 gaming prodcut I have). Too much on Telepaths and PSi-Corps and not enough on everything else. I would ave liked to have seen a lot more detail on, well, the Universe...

Colin said:
Ugh. There isn't even a diagram of the station in the book. A cutaway, even fairly basic, like the 1st Edition D20 book (the only other Babylon 5 gaming prodcut I have). Too much on Telepaths and PSi-Corps and not enough on everything else. I would ave liked to have seen a lot more detail on, well, the Universe...

I've commented on the book and on that particular lack, as well.

OTOH, there are some good world descriptions and a good set of descriptions for the show's characters and some show-specific basic equipment. To make up the other lacks, you might check out these B5 resources:

Voltayre's Encyclopedia
B5 Wikia
The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5

For some info on big space stations, you might want to check out:
Colonies in Space, by T.A. Heppenheimer
This classic book based on Gerard K. O'Neill's concepts (which informed the design of B5 as well) is now available online for free. O'Neill's book is a good read, too, and includes some good details for including in your version of B5 or the other Babylon stations in the game. I decided to base each of my B1-B3 stations on a different design.

Short of a new hardcopy edition of the book which isn't going to happen, I think a PDF is a reasonable make-good on this book. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new page backgrounds look like. I'm hoping its something I can print and read easily, without spending three times the cost of the hardcopy book on toner. ;)

Just sent in a picture of me with the book, taken with my webcam. I fear I may not be holding it jauntily enough though..:)

Allen

Just to clarify about sending in the picture:

Is it the BOOK at a jaunty angle or ME at a jaunty angle? :twisted:

Seriously though, thank you Matt for this offer for those of us who Pre-ordered the book.

Lorcan Nagle said:
Take a photo of you and the book at a Jaunty angle?

Should we be at the same angle or different? So many options.

Good thing I have a digital camera. I can send Matt a couple dozen pictures with all kinds of Jaunty Angles to make sure I give him the one he wants! :twisted:

Are there differences between English and Metric and American Jaunty Angles?

tneva82 said:
All hail Mongoose. The new background is MUCH better in the universe of babylon 5!

I'm very pleased to hear it! I sent in a picture of my receipt at a recumbent angle, no return message yet but I'm looking forward to the PDF.

saundby said:
tneva82 said:
All hail Mongoose. The new background is MUCH better in the universe of babylon 5!

I'm very pleased to hear it! I sent in a picture of my receipt at a recumbent angle, no return message yet but I'm looking forward to the PDF.

You can't really go wrong with white background with black text. Then on edges there are these very B5-esque gray/bluish boxes(reminding me of white stars). Frankly this is pretty spot on to colour scheme I thought it would have when I first heard of the book. Too bad reqular book didn't have this colour scheme :( Or atleast just white background with black text.

It's been a week now since I sent off my email with a scan of my receipt. I've received no response. Am I being impatient, or should I try again?

saundby said:
It's been a week now since I sent off my email with a scan of my receipt. I've received no response. Am I being impatient, or should I try again?

Well either they have suddenly become very busy or it's been lost. I got mine in same day I sent email regarding to it.

saundby said:

I'd send a polite follow up email, never hurts to be polite.

LBH

Back