Traveller and MU*s

DPSteve

Mongoose
One of things that Traveller lends itself well to is computer simulation (as pointed out by Mr. Miller, I believe).

I am curious how much interest there would be in a Traveller online game, specifically a text environment (MUD, MUSH, MUX, etc). This is a general interest, without going into caveats such as level of detail, world creation, etc.

On the same note, I'd like to know if there's any reason that such a thing would be smote where it stands by the hands of Grandfather (MGP)? If so are there any caveats that would preclude such smiting (such as staying way away from the OTU, for example).

In short, I've been working on a private project for a text-based Traveller game and would like to know if there's enough interest to make it public while avoiding any hiccups and the like.

dmccoy1693 said:
DPSteve said:
And smoted it is :p Ah well, thanks for info :)

He didn't say it can't be done, just that it would require a different license.

True. However, being that it's essentially a free to play fan project I'm not sure it'd be worth paying for an additional license. I will think on this though, and speak with Mr. Sprange via PM about where to go from here.

Although, unless there's an interest it's kind of a moot point anyway :p

DPSteve said:
True. However, being that it's essentially a free to play fan project I'm not sure it'd be worth paying for an additional license. I will think on this though, and speak with Mr. Sprange via PM about where to go from here.

You can always do it OGL and not use the compatability logo.

DPSteve said:
Although, unless there's an interest it's kind of a moot point anyway :p

True, too.

I doubt if there's an issue if it's on a free basis, after all it's basically just a tool for playing the game online. Even commercially, it's not a lot different to charging your players for you to run a game of Traveller face to face.

A Traveller trading game played in a Play By Mail style, perhaps with some En Garde elements might be fun, and especially appropriate since En garde was originally a GDW product.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
I doubt if there's an issue if it's on a free basis, after all it's basically just a tool for playing the game online. Even commercially, it's not a lot different to charging your players for you to run a game of Traveller face to face.

A Traveller trading game played in a Play By Mail style, perhaps with some En Garde elements might be fun, and especially appropriate since En garde was originally a GDW product.

Simon Hibbs

Well, the game was going to be a relatively persistent online experience, connect to via telnet. For thems that may not know, this is a MUD.

The basic idea was to have the game begin (initial startup) with a core of, say, 10-20 systems, or about a sub-sector. These would be hand-built by the builders of the MUD (staff members tasked with creating the universe) and would include include all the stellar data (star(s), planets, gas giants, floaty rocks, etc). The main world is hand-crafted in these systems (think of a GM mapping out areas and working out NPCs and their interactions with the PCs). The rest of the system is auto-generated at creation and then saved (so that systems don't change with each reboot).

These systems would have fully functioning trade systems. You can land at a port and see what's available, both freight and speculative), accept contracts (missions/quests), and generally explore the universe while making money on trade and contracts (much the way you would in a Traveller PnP game). The difference is that the GM is automated in this case, with some intervention/meddling by staff GMs :twisted:

From there the exploration really gets underway. Aside from the pre-generated systems (the 'core'), there will be randomly generated systems throughout the universe, generated as needed to satisfy the ever expanding limits of the known worlds. These worlds will be completely virgin, even to the staff. A variety of skills will be used to catalog and build up these newly discovered worlds.

Players will be able make their mark on the world in a variety of ways, from naming new systems and stellar objects to limited world-building on new worlds that they have discovered.

Anyway, that's a very abbreviated version of the concept I'm going for. Any takers? :?: 8)

A long, long time ago... okay the 1990s.

I was involved in a short lived Circle-MUD Traveller game. It never realy took off, but I was a co-developer. I remeber that the guy who set it up was using the Classic or MT system as a background for character development.(Army, Marines, Scouts, etc...) It was generaly a basic fantasy MUD but with modern/sci-fi elements put in. There was only one world at the time, with plans to make others, but you had the starport, the city, the badlands and my 'Newbie' dungeon called the "Varmint Hunt". It was fun coding the dungeon and the weapon stats for that. You started hunting varmints with a club, got cash for the vamint pelts, and eventualy you could buy better weapons and armour. Imagine hunting what was essentialy rats with a PGMP! :shock:

We didn't have a system set up (at that time) for going off world, ships or interstellar trade. I would have loved to do that.

Anyway, yes. I would be interested in this project once the legals are settled.

cmdrx said:
A long, long time ago... okay the 1990s.

I was involved in a short lived Circle-MUD Traveller game. It never realy took off, but I was a co-developer. I remeber that the guy who set it up was using the Classic or MT system as a background for character development.(Army, Marines, Scouts, etc...) It was generaly a basic fantasy MUD but with modern/sci-fi elements put in. There was only one world at the time, with plans to make others, but you had the starport, the city, the badlands and my 'Newbie' dungeon called the "Varmint Hunt". It was fun coding the dungeon and the weapon stats for that. You started hunting varmints with a club, got cash for the vamint pelts, and eventualy you could buy better weapons and armour. Imagine hunting what was essentialy rats with a PGMP! :shock:

We didn't have a system set up (at that time) for going off world, ships or interstellar trade. I would have loved to do that.

Anyway, yes. I would be interested in this project once the legals are settled.

Heh, I remember the days when "sci-fi" muds were basically fantasy codebase with some altered names and stats :) Ah, the good old days.

This is a completely custom codebase, being built from the ground up. Because of this everything should work in harmony and be fairly easy to implement, as opposed to jury-rigging bits and pieces to an existing codebase.

Should this get off the ground would you be interesting in helping? Previous experience with building up a MUD is about a good as I could ever ask for :p

DPSteve said:
Heh, I remember the days when "sci-fi" muds were basically fantasy codebase with some altered names and stats :) Ah, the good old days.

This is a completely custom codebase, being built from the ground up. Because of this everything should work in harmony and be fairly easy to implement, as opposed to jury-rigging bits and pieces to an existing codebase.

Should this get off the ground would you be interesting in helping? Previous experience with building up a MUD is about a good as I could ever ask for :p

Absolutely. Count me in.

Back