Too many rules

nats

Banded Mongoose
Is anyone else getting to saturation point with Mongoose Traveller with the number of different rules spread all over their books?

It seems that a month doesnt goes by without having new rules added into the mix.

When you look at D&D there are, what, a few pages of rules? That it you can play the game after reading maybe six pages. Everything else is background reading and stats that you use when you need to, such as when using a new monster. No need for looking at several books whilst playing the game.

I mean I dont mind their being lots of background info in Mongooses new books. I love for example the Companion the way they have enhanced Starports and Spaceports with new things to think about when designing one. But its all the new rules during gameplay - such as combat rules additions and new rules for spaceship battles etc etc. Nobody could remember all this stuff! It really is all just starting to put me off.

Yet when you take a look at something like Cepheus Deluxe everything is so nicely simple. Rules systems like that encourage you to actually dive in and actually play the game rather than reading the rules books. I think Mongoose really need to reconsider this and tone it all down. If they add new rules systems ina book then they should also be incorporated into their core rule book. If they arent important enough to be in there they probably arent necessary at all ....

The best part of Classic Traveller (and now Cepheus Deluxe is continuing that) is that you can play the game with minimal rules to remember, and then the referee can make up anything else on the fly using the task system. No need to have a specific rule for it all !!!

That happens with any and every game.
Some referees want or need that granular 'a ruling for every situation', others prefer a more casual 'seat of the pants' style. You and I are in the latter, I think.
I thought the Field Catalogue for individual weapon design was interesting in a 'High Guard' kinda way, but I'm not going to use it much. I'll just tell the players that Zhodani use a different caliber of ammo and a different amperage of battery power, so no, even thought the weapon provides the same function and uses the same stats, they can't just use Zho equipment. What's more, I have **ample** real world examples for that... just look at NATO and Russian ammo nomenclature.
Rules are written on paper, not stone. They can be utilized or ignored at the ref's discretion. So don't worry about it. Mongoose doesn't have a subscription service where you have to buy the book of the month, so if you don't want it, don't buy it.

Separate the play mechanics from the design mechanics.

The design mechanics can be outsourced, and then vetted by the dungeon master.

I must just get easily confused or something. I just look at all the rules and it starts all getting too much and I pack in and go play a computer game lol. This is why I think I am going to move towards Cepheus Engine for my Traveller rules. I loved the Classic Traveller rules, but Mongoose and others - I think they just release rules books because they can (I suppose to stay in business). I guess if people didnt want them they wouldn't buy them.

I did really like the Rift box I can see a lot in there I can use. But all that Mercenary stuff - I probably wont even look at it never mind read it! I think I might be able to get by with just Core Book, Spinward Marches, the Companion and The Rift box. Maybe High Guard and the Field Catalogue as well, possibly .... if I stay with Mongoose Traveller .....

But I think I am in a decluttering mood .... I feel a large Ebay sale coming on lol.

Last edited:
Tbh, in a typical game you won’t need most of the rules. Core rulebook is enough.

But sets like Mercenary offer details and extra tools for those types of games, should you wish to include them.

I will probably not use most of the rules I have accumulated for Traveller, but each book also offers lore and setting info, and helps bring it all to life. To me they are fun to read as well as rule-expanding.

Should you one day find yourself in need of specialized rules, you can either make something up yourself, or look to the proper book for guidance.

I haven’t seen this issue, as you should feel free to use what rules you want, the most basic stuff is only a few pages in the core book, traveller is very modular and you can slot stuff in when you feel like it.

Here's the way I see it:
The rules say you need an eight to succeed, modified by applicable skills and as the referee sees fit.
Everything else is fluff.
All you need is character generation tables (ANY table from ANY version) and an 8.
Them's the rules.

Here's the way I see it:
The rules say you need an eight to succeed, modified by applicable skills and as the referee sees fit.
All you need is character generation tables (ANY table from ANY version) and an 8.
Them's the rules.
If that’s how you see it fair enough, bit of an oversimplification for me bu, and 8 is indeed the number you will encounter most for difficult.

Here's the way I see it:
The rules say you need an eight to hit, modified by applicable skills and as the referee sees fit.
Them's the rules.

If that’s how you see it fair enough, bit of an oversimplification for me bu, and 8 is indeed the number you will encounter most for difficult.
Nothing in my post implied that the fluff didn't get complicated quickly. But the rules are simple.

I feel Cepheus Deluxe is around my level of complexity. I don't need any more than that. But I will use some of the Mongoose books for fluff. Tbh I have found I am not that interested in what other people feel is appropriate Traveller content. I make up much better stuff myself. Admittedly some of the Classic Traveller stuff was complete rubbish - Fighting Ships for example. But when they did it right - like Traders and Gunboats - the best Traveller product ever made IMO - it was really good. I feel that Cepheus Deluxe gives me the buzz I got with Classic Traveller in the 80s.

Last edited:
I don't find Cepheus to be all that good, the authors picked to model their favourite house rules via the MgT OGL and made a lot of choices I wouldn't.
Cepheus remains more like MegaTraveller than Classic Traveller.
And the artwork... just get some AI stuff, anything would be better than what I have seen in the CD prevue of CE Deluxe.

I find the MgT Explorer's Edition to be a really good entry level product, I would like to see additions to it:
MgT Merchant's Edition - like the above but with Merchant and another career, plus trade rules
MgT Mercenary's Edition - Army, Marine careers, heavy weapons, vehicle combat
MgT Space Patrol Edition - navy plus one other (pirate?), additional ship combat options, customs inspection, search and rescue
MgT Rogue's Edition

(and when it is all done a slipcase edition of the lot - any chance of a kickstarter :))

Add a range of companion introductory adventures...

Last edited:
I find the MgT Explorer's Edition to be a really good entry level product, I would like to see additions to it:
This is a brilliant idea. With 2D Mishap tables and D66 Event tables, very cheap pdfs and decently priced hardcovers… a slim volume detailing a single subsector, with those Companion adventures located within it and notes on developing things further…

I love this.

I have to say when I gm I find myself doing searching through books for rules.
What rules are finding yourself often going to go look up that isnt in the CRB?

MgT Merchant's Edition - like the above but with Merchant and another career, plus trade rules
MgT Mercenary's Edition - Army, Marine careers, heavy weapons, vehicle combat
MgT Space Patrol Edition - navy plus one other (pirate?), additional ship combat options, customs inspection, search and rescue
MgT Rogue's Edition
Great idea, actually. Got a background in marketing? :)

Here's the way I see it:
Them's the rules.
Yes, this. This is exactly how we see it :)

We are not intending you to use all rules in all games at all times. The Core Rulebook has 90% of everything you need in most campaigns - the other material is intended to be used if and when needed/desired.

Back