Timing Die

donm61873

Mongoose
If I might suggest a small change, rather than look it up, or consider the Timing Die result as 7 minus roll, it might be faster and easier to consider the Timing Die result as 1 plus roll?

It can be amazing how simple subtraction slows adults down while gaming...

That would mean that, on a roll of 6 +1, which should be an average result, you would always take 6 for effect (best possible result) and 1 for Timing (best possible result), which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Conversely, on a perfect roll of 6 + 6 you end up taking the longest time possible without failing.

Also, you would simply read the value of the Timing die, not add it to 1. :wink:

I'm just trying to speed things up.

For an experiment, in the middle of a game this week (ANY system), have a random player roll a six-sided die, and tell him to give you back the value of seven minus his roll.

It's amazing how this tiny operation can totally stymie a grown adult.

I've gone from liking the concept of the timing die to being totally frustrated in its implementation.

And on the "choosing" -- I'm experimenting with not choosing, but always having the highest die rolled be the timing die. This has the added effect of lowering the number of exceptional successes.

And using "highest die rolled is Timing" combined with "Timing = roll" (you were right, adding 1 is incorrect, duh) seems to speed things up.

Probably too deterministic though, but I like the less wild probabilities on the Effect Die that occurs by making highest die Timing.

I understand where you're coming from, but I look at it this way:

In combat, you will consistently make use of the timing die, but you also read the face value, so your 7-Result problem doesn't come into play.

In other circumstances, why even bother with a timing die at all, unless the situation is time critical? At most, you'll take the high die as Effect, and, as GM, maybe make a brief comment about how long it takes based on how high the Timing die is (no maths required).

When Timing really matters, then picking Timing and Effect dice can be an important player tool. Single digit subtraction shouldn't be an issue in these relatively rare, but important circumstances.

Don is right. A simple subtraction can throw off all kinds of people, even an Astronomy PhD in my group screamed at the suggestion.

The timing die is contentious. It was a contentious part of Megatraveller too, I dropped it most times.

The issue about too many exceptional successes is one that needs to be addressed though. Don's solution is simple and elegant but the reverse is also true, a high risk of marginal success made worse by Don's solution.

Still in general play it could still work. Sometimes it is digging too deep causes the break you were looking for.

Border Reiver said:
Don is right. A simple subtraction can throw off all kinds of people, even an Astronomy PhD in my group screamed at the suggestion.

The timing die is contentious. It was a contentious part of Megatraveller too, I dropped it most times.

The issue about too many exceptional successes is one that needs to be addressed though. Don's solution is simple and elegant but the reverse is also true, a high risk of marginal success made worse by Don's solution.

Still in general play it could still work. Sometimes it is digging too deep causes the break you were looking for.

It worked pretty well last sunday.

Back