The Tower of the Sun

Just thought I'd pass this along for those looking for active Lone Wolf sites.

http://2e1x1.net/lonewolf//index.php

This one is only just new; so far they have an Atlas up as well as messageboards. It also is devoted to both the gamebooks and the RPG.

I agree with Eternalknight.

I've just signed up as well it looks very promising. I think it could be a very useful repositary for fan produced material. It is also as far as I'm aware the first fan site to focus on the new RPG in any depth for this alone it will get my support. :)

...and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

As a suggestion, did anyone use LONE WOLF as a submission genre for the Mongoose Staff Writer position?? If you didn't get in, how about putting it up at Tower of the Sun as fan content? This way, EVERYBODY sees your work.

Well, I've had worse ideas.

Kekataag said:

As a suggestion, did anyone use LONE WOLF as a submission genre for the Mongoose Staff Writer position?? If you didn't get in, how about putting it up at Tower of the Sun as fan content? This way, EVERYBODY sees your work.

Good idea. :)

This would also be a good place for Lone Wolf articles for S & P that didn't make it for whatever reason.

Kekataag said:

I have absolutely no problem with this. If you have something you would like to submit to the downloads section at Tower of the Sun, I will organize the downloads sections to suite everyone's needs.

Winter Wolf said:
This would also be a good place for Lone Wolf articles for S & P that didn't make it for whatever reason.

It's a nice idea :)

However, you'll need Mongoose's permission, as they own the submitted articles even if they decide not to use them.

Of course, *then* you'll run into the problem of a writer saying that Mongoose giving the article to someone to put online constitutes publication and they could then argue that they want paying for it as if it had gone into the mag.

I wish I didn't come out sounding like I'm shooting the idea down... I really hate thinking of the amount of material that's been written and is sitting around "invisible" to everyone, but the legal issues just seem to make it problematic :(

If anyone sees a way out of this, please post it :)

My personal preference would be for things that didn't make it to S&P going into an "S&P Online", something like SJGames' Online Pyramid mag, a subscription-based service where the revenues could be used to pay the writers of the articles even though they weren't used in the mag proper.

Other than that, personally I'm quite happy to write a freebie scenario (possibly based upon one of the ideas I've put in the "101" thread), and will throw it at the site the second I can find the time to write it and PDF-ize it :)

The solution is for Mongoose to give a simple legal release of copyright back to the original author. This does not amout to publication, just a transfer of copyright.

If mongoose has commisioned the article that would be true but if you sent in a synopsis and it was rejected you can do what you like with the idea as far as I'm aware. I don't know about other people but if I'm putting together a synopsis I write tons of notes, the article is already there in rough form and just needs tidying up. Maybe it's just me that works like this. :wink:

This is from the S&P Forum

Mongoose Old Bear said:
You can rest assured that any sample pieces submitted to demonstrate style are not held by us under contract. Once a writer signs anS&P contract then any articles submitted to the magazine which are accepted come under the auspices of the contract. Anything we reject does not, primarily because we aren't going to use something we don't consider good enough to publish.

If anybody has any doubt about anything to do with articles and submitted work I am always just an email away. However, once we accept a piece for publication we don't expect to see it turn up elsewhere, either before or after publication by us.

Winter Wolf said:
If mongoose has commisioned the article that would be true but if you sent in a synopsis and it was rejected you can do what you like with the idea as far as I'm aware. I don't know about other people but if I'm putting together a synopsis I write tons of notes, the article is already there in rough form and just needs tidying up. Maybe it's just me that works like this. :wink:

I've nearly always got it just about written in my head (although in the time it takes me to type it up I make so many changes it usually comes out nothing like the original idea). Sometimes I've got copious notes, especially if it was something I was planning on doing anyway before S&P came along. Sometimes just a rough outline. I'm currently working on a Judge Dredd piece I thought I had just about finished on Saturday, then decided to go back over it and totally rewrite as I had a better idea literally five minutes before I was about to send it in :)

Usually I find the thing that takes the most time is going back over and filling in the gaps I left with "Insert Stats Here" markers for NPCs... everything else just kinda "reels out" of my head.

Ownership issues could be murky here. Besides, it's always possible that Mongoose will wish to publish one or more of the submissions on a work-for-hire basis, in which case they will want to retain the rights to all of them until they decide that they don't want each one. For this reason alone I would suggest not pushing for any rights to be released before somebody from Mongoose makes the decision themselves.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
If anybody has any doubt about anything to do with articles and submitted work I am always just an email away.

I suppose if there is something that you have submitted to Mongoose that you would like to contribute to Tower of the Sun, email Old Bear and ask. It can't get plainer than that.

Back