The Shadow War back home

Eryx

Mongoose
During the Shadow War it seems that everyone among the alien races knew roughly what was happening even if they didn't know the full details.

However from the show I kinda get the impression that the folks back home "enjoying" Clark's reign as president probably didn't know anything was happening?

Does anyone else see it that way?

I'm curious for planning ahead for my game.

Greg Smith said:
I'm sure during the series it is mentioned that the folks on earth don't even know that there is a war going on.

Well Cpt JAck didn't know about the war Marcus mentiopned was keeping Sheridan busy, but then Mars was under blackout. But I suspect that news of the war was kept from the EA populace.

LBH

From my understanding the Vorlons created telepaths to use against the Shadows. Well Earth has one of the more well known and aggressive telepathic organizations which could be used against the Shadows (who were more or less in control of the Earth Alliance). And since the Shadows did have control, they didn't want one of their best "client states" finding out that the rest of the galaxy was rising up against them which leads to the "alien menace sweeping across the galaxy" or whatever other garbage the reformed ISN was spewing.

yeah i dont think the avearge human did know anything

wiche i thogth was a drag case ther really isn`t many humans particepating in the war against the shadows

I think the main goal of the shadows with regards to the EA, was to keep Earth and Psi Corps out of the war. The EA does seem to be the only major power with an aggressive teep organisation that selectively breeds telepaths.

If the population of Earth had learned about the shadow war, there would have been a part of it that would have urged Clark to send troops to intervene, like they did with the Dilgar. But with the Shadows controlling Clark and Clark controlling the media, that was never going to happen.

You also forget that Clark instigated new policies that focused on 'the needs of earth' and as such humanity became more isolationist which wasnt a problem with some humans as they had some distrust/hatred for aliens because of the Minbari war.

Also if you remember the first time a picture of a shadow ship came on ea screens.....the psi corp and the shadows used that to their advantage by playing on the xenophobia humanity developed.

Wasn't Earth under Marital Law during that time? Might explain how infromation was withheld. Typical of a government to supress or control knowledge. Heck think of the Vree visits to Earth in the B5 timeline. It took until B5 was online for that to come out. ("Grail" Season 1 as I recall).

Brother Theo

Not only was Earth under martial law, but ISN was in government hands. If word of the Shadow War had leaked out, Clark's anti-alien propaganda could have backfired - the people of Earth might have demanded the EA deal with the shadows.

Although (judging by the state of the world today), no matter how much of the propoganda is exposed for lies and exagerations, there are still a good number of people who believe the government line.

Wasn't Earth under Marital Law during that time? Might explain how infromation was withheld. Typical of a government to supress or control knowledge. Heck think of the Vree visits to Earth in the B5 timeline. It took until B5 was online for that to come out. ("Grail" Season 1 as I recall).

yeah we shud talk to ouer goverments today and make em come out with the info

u dint want to wait till 2258 :D

Since ISN is only intersteller news agency in the B5 universe. Once Clark had control he had the monopoly on intersteller news. That's why no word of the Shadow war got to Earh.

Salamandersmantle said:
Since ISN is only intersteller news agency in the B5 universe. Once Clark had control he had the monopoly on intersteller news. That's why no word of the Shadow war got to Earh.

Not necessarily, there is Universe Today (though they may be owned by the same conglomerate) plus I have almost no doubt that the alien races have their own news channels , we just never see them.

LBH

What about commerical frieghters and the like? From their time travelling to B5 they must have heard something, which they may or may not have spread word when they got back to Earth?

Eryx said:
What about commerical frieghters and the like? From their time travelling to B5 they must have heard something, which they may or may not have spread word when they got back to Earth?

Remember that it was illegal to trade with B5..?

I know, but they must have been trade between other worlds, even if it was just between worlds of the EA or Centauri. With that in mind I would have thought folks would have heard something was going on out there.

Well there are traders but they would be discredited or considered rumours that would hardly affect earth. Some would believe but thats a minority. I mean look at Mars......its within earths own system and they are treated as second class citizens almost. EarthGov can be quite harsh at times......

Eryx said:
I know, but they must have been trade between other worlds, even if it was just between worlds of the EA or Centauri. With that in mind I would have thought folks would have heard something was going on out there.

Well the obviously did pass 'gossip' I mean Captain Jack admits that he heard some pretty far fetched stories, but be honest, would you have believed some of them :lol:

LBH

Back