The end of an age

Yes, you can hardly blame people for saving what can amount to a substantial chunk of money over the course of a year by buying online rather than in a shop. This isn't unique to rpgs either of course.

The web has been, and is, in many ways a good thing for rpgs. A lot of rpgs would be dead or have never been commercially viable without the web. There's a huge amount of material more readily accessble than ever. They're just two of the more obvious benefits.

The downside is that because online shops are low on overheads, 'real' shops cannot sensibly compete in such a diverse yet niche market.

Although I do kind of miss the old 4 hour fortnightly round trip to my games shop in one way, realistically I'm not prepared to devote that amount of spare time to something that can be accomplished in seconds online. Especially now I have to pretend to be grown up. When I was a teenager I had considerably more time to waste...

But then I think... well suppose there was a rpg store in town... say fifteen minutes walk away. How much would I really buy there. That's tough to say. The reality is I doubt they'd stock much I'd actually want to buy. I'd probably still resort to the net for many purchases...

Independent bookshops are damn thin on the ground these days. Only the chains really have presence in most British towns now, though the odd second-hand shop still survives. RPGs aren't big enough business for chains... except Warhammer I suppose. If GW were prepared to stock other companies' product things might be different in the UK. But there is a very good reason why they're not...

I don't think this can be blamed on the current financial problems either. Really it happened in the 90s in the UK I think. So can't really blame the web either. It resurrected RPGS in many ways, it just didn't resurrect the shops.

Here are some pictures of the now extinct Labyrinthes store.

Laby1b.jpg

Laby2b.jpg
[/img]

Laby3b.jpg

Rest in peace, my shop, you will be missed...

That looked a great place Herve. As much a place to play games as buy them... I wonder if partly that's what was generally lacking in rpg shops. Though in the UK retail space is too expensive, generally speaking, to be given over to 'free' activities.

May be you can convert and open a restaurant and offer the famous bouillabesse while still having a local at the back dedicated to gaming.

How many employees did you have?

It's a shame to see a gaming store close down but im bloody thankful my local one is still going strong. Its strange but Perth seems to have quite a high number of gamers living in it. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do now Herve.

Always enjoyed riding my motorbike there! Nice not to be rained on all the time

Rain? What is rain?...

A couple of those pics don't show.
Thay all show on my PC. Which are the ones you can't see?

May be you can convert and open a restaurant and offer the famous bouillabesse while still having a local at the back dedicated to gaming.

We say "bouillabaisse", but I'm glad you know about it. :D

How many employees did you have?
We were only two working in the shop most of the time. By the end I ran the shop alone, due to financial restrictions...

I do most of my up-and-current buying at Highlander Games in Bochum, Germany (so anyone who lives cllose by go there and shop! That's an order!).
Other than that I buy out-of-print-games on ebay. And I try to shove as much business into Highlanders way by shopping for friends who would otherwise order online. There was even one moment when Amazon offered the still just-from-the-printer Dark Heresy rulebook (€ 50 retail) for some freakish € 16 and I just bought two copies and told my friendly game shop dealer Siegmar about it so that he coulD order and profit.

Whay do I do this?
Because I LOVE the gaming store!
I LOVE to go there every two weeks or if I am in town.
I LOVE to chat with the guys there!
I get good discounts there that more often than not beat amazon or are in the same league.
And I HATE seeing anther business going out of business and I try my best as a customer to "help out" by buying there.
Times are hard for small hobby stores and I understand that business is business and that store owner need to pay bills and if the store does not provide for that then even as swell place like Hervé's (B E A U T I F U L - just judging from the pictures!) has to close its gates.
But I just HATE to see that in my neighborhood.

P.S.: All the best to you, Hervè!

I thought I'd drop by and express my condolences. It's been a horrible economy for a lot of us, and it of course has affected the RPG biz, too. :(
If I had a FLGS nearby, one which was cozy and staffed by truly nice people (I know, a long shot! :lol: ), I'd shop there instead of resorting to internet-shopping. The last time I was in a real gaming store was in '81 or '82, IIRC. They are as rare as virtuous, kindly Set-worshippers. :)
Things have to look up eventually, so stiff upper lip! 8)

Strom said:
You lived the dream bro - no one can take that from you. All the best to ya!

Game on man!

Truly the most correct thing ever said.
I'm sorry to hear about it.
Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Edit: WOW, just saw the pictures of your shop! Awesome.
What a great place it was.
Seriously like a total fit!

Wow.

Just... wow.

It is really sad to read that this happened. Honestly. I have a shop that I go to, personally. I browse online, true... But I shell out the money there.

Why? Because they're people too. Sure, I'll save 7, 10, 20 dollars off my books if I buy online. But it's not how I was raised in the RPG world. I go to a store, I check them out, I pull them out of the plastic, check their condition, and buy them.

It's how I've done it ever since I started with AD&D 2nd Edition all those years ago. It's how I've been doing it ever since. I'll only buy books online because I simply cannot find them here.

You were able to change your passion for games into a career.

Twenty years. Félicitations, et bon succès pour le futur.

The warriors in Crom's great hall slam their shields in unison thrice for you.

Herv

Sorry to hear about your shop.

Im an old guy. I remember an independent shop ten minutes walk from my house. I spent all of my money there on D&D, Runequest and Traveller. Later, when I moved to London, it was Orcs Nest. Now, Ive moved out of London, its the internet. A common story, I guess.

I would hate to even have to walk into a Games Workshop store...horrific, pre-digested, homogenous crap. I blame GW and their cynical use of independents for most of the problems. Store owners have to stock it, and it takes up too much space if you stock a lot, (and you have to stock a lot to get better margins and have enough so that people dont buy elsewhere), and, if you do well, GW come along and open up a store of their own. Loose loose.

Herv, maybe you could take your knowledge and start trading online?

Back