State of Mongoose 2019, 2020 and in to 2021: Legend

MongooseMatt said:
DamonJynx said:
And unfortunately, coming up with an interesting, unique setting/universe that shows off the rules to best advantage is no easy task.
This is true - the term 'fantasy' defines certain 'defaults' and if you stray too far from those then it is always less well received. On the other hand, if you do not deviate you end up with another D&D/RQ clone. [...] There is scope, we just need to find the right project that will give impetus to revise/re-jig/re-write the Legend core.

Kelewan would be a great setting for highlighting all of Legend 2E's rules and sub-systems. It has all the standard fantasy trappings wrapped in a unique yet accessible package. Someone pinged me suggesting I get the licence, and in theory I would love it, but I don't need any more projects.

But, yeah. Kelewan of Legend.

Vile said:
MongooseMatt said:
DamonJynx said:
And unfortunately, coming up with an interesting, unique setting/universe that shows off the rules to best advantage is no easy task.
This is true - the term 'fantasy' defines certain 'defaults' and if you stray too far from those then it is always less well received. On the other hand, if you do not deviate you end up with another D&D/RQ clone. [...] There is scope, we just need to find the right project that will give impetus to revise/re-jig/re-write the Legend core.

Kelewan would be a great setting for highlighting all of Legend 2E's rules and sub-systems. It has all the standard fantasy trappings wrapped in a unique yet accessible package. Someone pinged me suggesting I get the licence, and in theory I would love it, but I don't need any more projects.

But, yeah. Kelewan of Legend.

My understanding is that Kelewan is a difficult license because there are multiple owners of the property. I read somewhere that the setting originated in Feist's college D&D group back in the 70s, and somewhere along the line all the players in that game became co-owners of it. I'm not 100% sure about all this, but I did read an interview with him once where someone asked about doing a movie based on the setting, and he mentioned how convoluted the ownership was. Not really sure how the video game managed to skirt around that.

But I agree, it would be a great setting for a game.

The main issues I see with a licensed property are the additional cost...which means a higher price for the core book(s), and then if the license is revoked for whatever reason, as happened with Runequest & the Eternal Champion series...everything has to be either re-written or withdrawn from sale...

I think Legend needs its own, unique setting but, as previously mentioned, with the plethora of games & settings already out there, creating something awesome and original is no easy task. I wish whoever attempts it all the best.

Absolutely. That's why I posted that link above to the discussion about the Xyserdon setting which was originally created for Magic World. It's an original setting, and from what those who've seen it say, it sounds like it was pretty awesome. From what I gather, it was written during the reign of the old Chaosium, and the new guys cancelled it when they cancelled the rest of the MW line to focus on RQG.

MW and Legend are close enough in their core DNA, that I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to revise Xyserdon for use with Legend.

I agree Xyserdon is a real possibility. Matt should look into it before I do.

Which gives him loads of time ... :lol:

MongooseMatt said:
Vile said:
I agree Xyserdon is a real possibility. Matt should look into it before I do.

Anyone have any links or info?

I posted it above, but here's the link to BRPCentral where they're talking about it: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/14814-anything-like-astonishing-swordsman-and-sorcerers-of-hyperborea/?do=findComment&comment=232577

Kevin Ross (KRoss on the forum) seems to be the author, and seems interested in getting it out there: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/14814-anything-like-astonishing-swordsman-and-sorcerers-of-hyperborea/?do=findComment&comment=232587

The whole "an old English setting" sounds exactly like my Ancient Stones setting.....!

Good to see activity here again! :)

Back