Starship Troopers Evolution

Reaverman said:
Will the Warrior bugs be as diverse, regarding condtruction (the legs being a good example)?

Matthew said the exo-suits would be poseable, so I reckon the warrior bugs would be a good choice for that as well.

Matt said earlier larger models (he nammed the Apache Longbow) would need some basic construction,like putting the rotors on. That was it.

Bubba Ho-Tep said:
Rob_alderman said:
Im guessing they come pre-built. Same models, but all built differently.

I hope these don't put Adrian out of business.

They'll have to get their paint masters from somewhere. :D

And I suppose Adrian also makes all the scenery (or their Intern monkey)...
Thats pretty important, nah, theres still Bab 5 all the RPG minis etc...

msprange said:
mthomason said:
msprange said:
That said, believe it or not, I think there should be more young blood in the hobby. . .

*waves walking frame* dang whippersnappers turning up with their plastic miniatures, in my day we didn't even have metal, we just used maps and cardboard counters representing entire batallions!

And you was proud of it!

Carboard counters...you was lucky...we had to make do with stones! :D

mthomason said:
Brother Jim said:
The problem with the prepainted Warzone is that it's 36mm not 28. And as soon as i have the spare cash and Prince August puts up the minis I'm looking for...I'll have a lot less cash. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Damn... can you imagine what this forum would look like today if MGP had gone to 36mm for the new SST minis? :D

I think that maybe I wasn't very clear. The prepainted Warzone from FFG is going to be 36mm. The stuff being sold by Prince August is 28mm and needs to be cleaned, assembled and painted. So they won't be compatible with each other.

Actually, I probably am not going to buy any of the prepainted Warzone because of the scale difference compared to the stuff I already have. It's good to hear that the prepainted SST will be compatible with the "original" models.

Oh, you were very clear :)

I was thinking how much worse the backlash would have been today if Mongoose had gone the same way ;) I suspect the server would have crashed under the sheer number of complaints.

Anyone out there play modern 28mm? I'm guessing at that scale, you're only using a few vehicles per side, correct?

Brother Jim said:
mthomason said:
Brother Jim said:
The problem with the prepainted Warzone is that it's 36mm not 28. And as soon as i have the spare cash and Prince August puts up the minis I'm looking for...I'll have a lot less cash. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Damn... can you imagine what this forum would look like today if MGP had gone to 36mm for the new SST minis? :D

I think that maybe I wasn't very clear. The prepainted Warzone from FFG is going to be 36mm. The stuff being sold by Prince August is 28mm and needs to be cleaned, assembled and painted. So they won't be compatible with each other.

Actually, I probably am not going to buy any of the prepainted Warzone because of the scale difference compared to the stuff I already have. It's good to hear that the prepainted SST will be compatible with the "original" models.

Yeah I was a little put off by that, but I think for the larger things, like the bio giant etc, as well as the vehicles its gonna be a valuable resource to use alongside existing 28mm models, the bigger they are the better it'll be infact. (Helps that they'll be dirt cheap off Ebay lol)

:oops: :oops: Apparently my brain is suffering from something or other.

At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D Like Spider-Man sticks to Mary Jane. :twisted: :shock:

msprange said:
MaxSteiner said:
Never gonna be a kiddies game?!>!?!?!?! :evil: :evil:
They're rereleasing it prepainted, with the rules condensed to two sides of A4! How is that not gearing it towards a younger audience?!?!

It really isn't a kiddies game. The, umm, more mature gamer should appreciate the tactical depth of this system.

That said, believe it or not, I think there should be more young blood in the hobby. . .

Well its good to hear!
To be honest My favourite version of WFB is the 4th edition where they got it down to two sides of A4, it flowed so smoothly, but it was definatly a scaled down kid friendly version compared to the 3rd at the end of the day (And it helped that it didnt cover magic at all).
Its a hell of an achievement if you have got it down to that size and it works, look at the rule arguaments which are still going on over the current rule book, and thats full of diagrams!
I assume its going to gloss over things like Flight, Talents etc as those will be included on the stat card for the units which have them?

I think there should be more young blood in the hobby. . .

Without new blood, the hobby WILL die. I am glad that this game won't be "dumbed" down for youngsters though. Part of the drw to these types of game when I was a kid was the complexity. Figuring out AD&D was a game all it's own.

tneva82 said:
CmdrKiley said:
All it would require is to pull the necessary sprues prior to them being put into the painting process, than bag them as a kit.

Like all it would take to supply power modulator(or whatever) for printer is to produce some spare ones and instead of packaging them with printer have them separatly?

Still it costs about same to get one separatly as buy whole new printer...LOL!

I think you're confusing this with service parts. Alot of the cost in service parts is warehouse and individual packaging and handling. Furthermore, there' always that artificial cost added in to make you buy an all new better one than replace the old one.

What I'm proposing has been done by plastic model companies for years now. If the volume demands it and the production source is competent enough in seperating and tracking finished and unfished parts in their plant it can be done.

There is a market for unfinished model kits, it's been there and will still be there. Hobby shops are just full of those things. The prepainted, semi-finished stuff is new and is, admittedly taking some marketshare away. However, there are some valid needs for unfinished kits, some of these are from my attempts to repaint prepainted toys and models.

1) Pre-assembly can involve some methods like riveting, gluing and thermal or vibration welding. These things make dis-assembly very difficult, often damaging the part during disassembly. In order to paint some models properly it does require some disassembly.

2) Some prepainting methods leave 'stenciled' paint marks very thick, which can show through if painted over. Also, poorer examples like Wizkids and WotC stuff are so thickly painted (slopped) over details are lost. Removing this paint can be difficult, some don't seem to work well with paint strippers that are compatible with the plastic.

I would think that by going this route one could actually easy way to please all the people at once. Sell boxed model kits under one part number and boxed assembled and prepainted under another. The Walmarts and Gamestores that do primarially Clix stuff would be happy with the prepainted. The hobby shops that cater to modelers and people that play games like 40k, Warmachine, and other 'assembly required games' would like to have the kits on hand, particularly if you get get some extra value out of the unassembled figures.

Also, this raises a question. If Mongoose is planning on going with 100% of all new releases for SST being prepainted plastic. Does that mean there will be no new multi-piece figures in which we can customize and pose? One piece figures, or even the 2 piece pre assembled ones, don't quite have all the flexibility and appeal to modelers who like to customize their figures.

I'm truly thrilled about this,,, i like painting and converting very much, but it will be nice to be able to pick up prepainted stuff.
I played 40k when it was mostly metal and i converted those so why not these, and it's not that hard to repaint them if i want to either, (ie the officers and other special models like marauders, the ones everyone paints.. Rank and file is a chore sometimes)
I'm certain that i will get more of my friends hooked on wargaming now, since the painting puts a lot of people that are interested off around here.
I can barely wait for this to hit the shelves..
Especially the air assets

Another one for Matt, has there been any thought towards some releases of metal models? I know the existing range will still be avaialbale for quite some time. I am thinking along the lines of new releases, perhaps on a limited edition basis or something to satisfy the lust of the hardcore painters that love the feel of a an all metal beasty on the game table?

I'm mildly disappointed yet cautiously optimistic. :?

I'm mildly disappointed that we won't have any new releases for several months, and that I must continue waiting for the dropships. However, I have a backlog of kits to assemble and paint, so it's not as if I don't have anything to keep my busy for a while. :wink:

I'm ambivalent about pre-painted models. I've been painting and gaming with miniatures, both historical and non-historical, for over 25 years. While I honestly don't enjoy painting as much as I once did (my eyesight isn't what it used to be), I still get a great sense of satisfaction when I complete a new unit. Buying pre-paints might diminish that feeling. On the other hand, I know from experience that painting dozens of Warrior bugs can get tedious; the pre-paints could be a boon for Arachnid players!

I am cautiously optimistic about the rules. After all, the best thing about SST is the game system. As long as the core of the game system (actions and reactions) is preserved, then the new game should be better than ever.

I'm gonna keep painting and gaming with the models I have, and reserve judgment until the new product is released. :)

Rob_alderman said:
Im guessing they come pre-built. Same models, but all built differently.

I hope these don't put Adrian out of business.

My guess is that they are using Adrian's skills to make a test figure that gets used to paint from as a guide. So really, I think he's more secure in the job than before just maybe :wink: . I said somewhere else that the reason that the new minis will look as good as Adrian's is that they cloned him by the thousands and that's who's painting the minis :lol: .

Back