Starship Troopers Evolution

Yeah way to go CmdrKiley (not)
By all means try to do a Walmart marketing gambit and really screw over the Game stores that support and have continued to support SST.

Matt has already stated at least four to five times in this thread that currently produced unpainted miniatures and kits will continue to be offered for the next up to ten years.

If you want to argue the economic viability of furnishing yet to be introduced products as unassembled unpainted kits why not try discussing it with MGP's contracted production facilities and warehousing people.

As for whether that would be economically feasible to do realize that most hobby shops in my area including Michael's etc. no longer carry models of any description. Some none most, very few ones that carried hunmdreds are lucky to carry fifty or sixty models total.

In discussing this situation with four different stores their conclusions are that the market simply is not there

mthomason said:
Reaverman said:
Will the Warrior bugs be as diverse, regarding condtruction (the legs being a good example)?

Matthew said the exo-suits would be poseable, so I reckon the warrior bugs would be a good choice for that as well.

He also said somwhere else that the warriors are poseable.

Mac V said:
Anyone out there play modern 28mm? I'm guessing at that scale, you're only using a few vehicles per side, correct?

I believe a M1A1 platoon is four tanks. That sounds about right for a table top game. An infantry platoon is 40 men, so works pretty good too.

Matthew, I do have one question. First, you mentioned that the Hoppers were going to be redone. Are they just possibly going to have the previously missing "stinger" included? I'd like to see that, if they are going to be modeled after the movie version.

CudaHP said:
Yeah way to go CmdrKiley (not)
By all means try to do a Walmart marketing gambit and really screw over the Game stores that support and have continued to support SST.

I'm not suggesting to sell SST at Walmart, however I feel with this new plan, it's going to happen anyways. It's a large investment to do what Mongoose is planning, in order for it to pay off that means volume, it's going to need to be sold in volume. I won't be suprised if SST ends up on Walmart shelves just like Heroclix and Star Wars Miniatures.

BTW, I don't buy my model kits at Micheals, Walmart, or such. I prefer my local hobby shop which carries models I like to build. I too have seen the decline of plastic model kits from the shelves of big retail stores. Probably no real correlation, but I noticed the trend when the prepainted semi-assembled model kits started to show up on the shelves.

BuShips said:
Matthew, I do have one question. First, you mentioned that the Hoppers were going to be redone. Are they just possibly going to have the previously missing "stinger" included? I'd like to see that, if they are going to be modeled after the movie version.

Please tell me you're redoing the hopper wings too!

CmdrKiley said:
BuShips said:

Yeah, I'll bet the word here is "translucent" for those. I thought of that just as I posted, but was too tired after reading all these posts to edit and add it, lol.

BuShips said:
CmdrKiley said:
BuShips said:

Yeah, I'll bet the word here is "translucent" for those. I thought of that just as I posted, but was too tired after reading all these posts to edit and add it, lol.

Translucent wings would make sense!
Doh! :oops:
I have fifteen painted Hoppers already, so I don't really need more. :cry:

Well as a gamer who was interested in SST before it came out but
passed(the time,effort & money when I have a ton of metal still in boxes/blisters for warZone)this is interesting.

I might bite for a ready to go game especially with quality paint jobs.
I must say I would have mixed feelings if I had an investement in
the current figs.

OD

Well, I for one hope some at least have some poseablility because I like to customize my minis, oh and if it does happen and walmart does begin to sell sst minis, I'd absolutly love that, instead of ordering online go to the local walmart and presto, minis without having to wait for
thumbup.gif

This announcement really bothered me. I felt that all the time, money and energy I have invested in this game have been tossed aside by Mongoose, but I couldn't quite figure out why I felt that way. It then occured to me that this is a sign of the end of SST. The game hasn't been selling as well as maybe Mongoose wants. They would like a real return on their investment. 'Clicky', prepainted mini games are short lived but make a decent penny while they are popular. Why not market SST to the clicky crowd? That's what this amounts to: prepainted miniatures, two pages of easy to learn rules that come with every single box, get a game going in minutes with no time investment required... The game will be a boom for a year or two, Mongoose gets the dough, then when the steam dies down they move to something else. WOTC knows this going into each of their games, why not Mongoose? This isn't a game any longer for those who invest in their games. This won't be for the 'serious' wargaming crowd. Not for the guy like me who writes the name of each of his troopers on their bases. This is going to be a game to appeal to the instant gratification crowd.

n815e said:
This announcement really bothered me. I felt that all the time, money and energy I have invested in this game have been tossed aside by Mongoose, but I couldn't quite figure out why I felt that way. It then occured to me that this is a sign of the end of SST. The game hasn't been selling as well as maybe Mongoose wants. They would like a real return on their investment. 'Clicky', prepainted mini games are short lived but make a decent penny while they are popular. Why not market SST to the clicky crowd? That's what this amounts to: prepainted miniatures, two pages of easy to learn rules that come with every single box, get a game going in minutes with no time investment required... The game will be a boom for a year or two, Mongoose gets the dough, then when the steam dies down they move to something else. WOTC knows this going into each of their games, why not Mongoose? This isn't a game any longer for those who invest in their games. This won't be for the 'serious' wargaming crowd. Not for the guy like me who writes the name of each of his troopers on their bases. This is going to be a game to appeal to the instant gratification crowd.

First - not clicky, pre-painted. It is not going to be a CMG.

Second - its a long term investment for Mongoose, they must be convinced its a good idea based upon the current market trends or they wouldn't do it.

Third - Other companies are doing a similar thing with a pre-painted range, if Mongoose don't at least try to do something similar they are going to suffer in the long run.

Fourth - its going to BENIFIT the Hobby long term, not hamper it. Don't forget, if it does really REALLY well we will end up with more (and possibly better) choice in the long run.

n815e, I agree with Lieutenant Rasczak completely on this point. No "clicky" and no "collectible" minis that are bought blindly box after box. You buy what you need to play, and you get what is listed on the box. I'm a painter as well as a modder/kit-basher and scratch-builder and I think this is exactly what Mongoose needed to do. They are saving the game by increasing the appeal, and I don't really see my current collection as an endangered species. In fact, (read carefully here) by those of us having what will eventually become a minority of the entire miniatures produced, we currently own the "unique" figures within the CMG language. I could of course be wrong on this, but we'll just have to wait and see now won't we? :wink:

BuShips said:
n815e, I agree with Lieutenant Rasczak completely on this point. No "clicky" and no "collectible" minis that are bought blindly box after box. You buy what you need to play, and you get what is listed on the box. I'm a painter as well as a modder/kit-basher and scratch-builder and I think this is exactly what Mongoose needed to do. They are saving the game by increasing the appeal, and I don't really see my current collection as an endangered species. In fact, (read carefully here) by those of us having what will eventually become a minority of the entire miniatures produced, we currently own the "unique" figures within the CMG language. I could of course be wrong on this, but we'll just have to wait and see now won't we? :wink:

I won't replace what I have, but rather add to it.

I can see me still painting, but as I said I can field units straight away and 'improve' them as time goes by - its a Plus!

I do agree with Lt. Razcak as well.

If anything, the mix of current kits and new preassembled prepainted stuff is more of a transition hobby into the full assembly than anything Clix or Star Wars minis was going to be.

At Gen Con, the Rackham people kept stressing that AT43 was not going to be randomly packed and collectable. Also they stated that you did have the option of buying non-finished models. When I was at the Pinnacle Press booth, I was talking to Shane Hensley. He mentioned their new Slaughter Gulch game, at TTG based on their Deadlands: Hell on Earth RPG which will use pre-painted minis. Again he also stressed these would not be randomly packed collectable minis. It appears that people in the industry realize there are consumers who are turned off by the collectable aspects of Clix games. I do applaud Mongoose for not stooping to that level of trendy crap that Wizkids and WotC has been dumping out.

Yup, it would have been 'weak' of the to stoop to a CMG.

I think this is all good, the news has gotten me over my 'burnout' and given me renewed enthusiasm!

Back