Starship Troopers Evolution

Quark said:
So um what happens when my red and black pre-assembled warriors fight your red and black pre-assembled warriors?

Somebody will have to by the limited edition models molded in a different color, sold at a 20% premium. Just like some of those action figures. I hate that!

mthomason said:
Lieutenant Rasczak said:
mthomason said:
*waves walking frame* dang whippersnappers turning up with their plastic miniatures, in my day we didn't even have metal, we just used maps and cardboard counters representing entire batallions!

C'mon Matt, you're not that old Lol.

No, seriously, the first wargames I ever played used paper maps and cardboard counters (after we realised rubbing out the pencil marks was so messy).

Well as one of the guys in my group used to say, we didn't even have dice, we pulled paper chits from a dixie cup!

1: Am I reading this right?
The main rules have been chopped down to 3 A4 sized pages but an SST Evo rulebook will be released alongside them. Army books are now a think of the past and each boxed set of PPM will come with a card giving stats as are found in the regular army books.

>>> Almost. The Rules Sheet currently takes 5 pages in Word - think 2 sides of A3.

2: Given the removal of the army books will army background material be reduced to small snippets of information on the boxes/cards provided with the PPM?

>>> No. The main rulebook will carry a lot, and S&P will do its share. There will also be some 'campaign' books but they will, in no way, be essential for people who must have every single rule to hand. They will be almost pure fluff/campaign/scenario books.

3: How radical a change will there be to the main rules given that they sound like they've been chopped? Will the gameplay remain the same but with improvements to rules or has gameplay been streamlined?

>>> This is going to be very difficult to believe, until you see the rules for yourself. But it is the same game. You still get your two actions, your Fire Zones, your reactions, and so on. It is all in there. Some things have been streamlined (cover and artillery fire, for example), others have been added - Suppression, for example, reacting under fire. . .

>>> It is the same game. It really is. It just plays far smoother and with way less arguments :)

4: Will S&P continue to support the existing SST game untill the release of SSTE or will there only be support for the forth coming STTE minis/rules?

>>> The amount of support material for the original SST over the next few months would stun an ox.

5: Will production standards in the casting of the existing metal mins fall as the new PPM line grows and is it likely that we may see limited edition splash releases (limited ed MI officers for example) for the exisitng metal range?

>>> For SST, unlikely. At this time, we only have solid plans for CTA metals.

6: Will the existing Skinny army book and background material be scrapped in favour of an overhaul or would it be just a case of new PPM minis?

>>> The background, no. You will still have your Raiders, Guards, and so on, Skinnies still have a Hegemony organised from tribes, and so on. We are even adding a new leader. . .

7: How are the PPM models like Marauders being handled? Are they fixed one piece models or will there be some degree of posing possible?

>>> We have posing in the Exosuits, so it is reasonable to assume we will do the same with Marauders.

8: Is there any possibility of an increase in open day style events/gamer meets to promote the SST/SSTE hobby and support us gamers.
I posted a question about a Mongoose gaming night but haven't really got an answer as to whether it's possible or not.

>>> This is essential, and yes, there will be fun things happening on this score. The Kreplakistan world campaign for BF Evo is just the start. . .

On the other hand I can this from the other side of the coin. Let's face it SST is dying as support flags for our beloved game. But I am a little concerned like most that this will become a "kiddies game" but hopefully with a little support from us oldtimers this can be avoided.

>>> It wasn't a case of dying, more that it was not turning into what we knew it could be. The rules system is very, very powerful, and can be used for a multitude of games. Much of the imagery is also worth preserving, so when the opportunity came to marry all of this with pre-painted models of the quality we have shown thus far, the choice became clear.

the PPM minis. I mean no offence when i say this guys but by just saying that re-painting and converting PPM stuff is a little insulting to some of us hardcore modellers, although I realise it's not intended to be as such it can be seen as "a lump it or leave it" comment. :)

>>> Hardcore modellers do not need SST to live and breath - and I can draw you a personal analogy here.

>>> My other 'thing' in life is radio controlled aircraft. I am a scratch builder, taking nothing more than some blasa and ply, working the wood for a few months over winter and then, in spring, reveal a new Spitfire to the world. All my own work.

>>> A few years ago, the 'Almost Ready to Fly' models appeared. Better than most builders could achieve themselves for a decent price.

>>> Now, I still scratchbuild the occasional model. But I also buy ARTF planes. . .

Matthew

jezus. i went out for a few hours and after 2h of reading i'm still not done :lol:

anyway, the minis in this technology can be painted any way the customer wants,right? and at least some people want to paint their minis themselves,righ? and everyone undercoats their minis, right?

so, while the M'goose is producing the cool new MI, why not use some of the factory productive power to make a limited supply(not "limited" as in one-off, but as in" limited numbers") of the models painted matt blac? would save the players the cost of buying black spray(since most people i know of use black undercoat), and it would be easier than overpainting the orginal paintwork.

if someone suggested it already, sorry, but i'm still on page 22 only :lol:

CmdrKiley said:
All it would require is to pull the necessary sprues prior to them being put into the painting process, than bag them as a kit.

Like all it would take to supply power modulator(or whatever) for printer is to produce some spare ones and instead of packaging them with printer have them separatly?

Still it costs about same to get one separatly as buy whole new printer...LOL!

If demand isn't there it will cost. And since you can repaint over the prepainted ones what demand there is for unpainted ones.

Personally I hate the concept as it defeats the purpose of building and painting a kit.

If you want to paint them then paint them! Pre-painted does not equal you can't paint over them. Show me law in lawbook if you think it does!

Sort of like having your dad build it for you (except not because he's better at it or is allowed to use a knife, just that he's faster and cheaper than you), then showing everyone you built a model kit.

So if daddy builds it and then you rebuild it yourself how is that then not your work?

Quark said:
I have another question though- (forgive this one as I'm not a "pre-paint" player), How will two people w/the same prepainted bug armies tell eachother's Warriors etc. apart if they play each other?

Yeah, we have been wrestling with this one:)

First off, with four armies available from the word go, this will happen far less often than it does now.

Second, as the range grows, variations in the armies with different units, will become more apparent.

However, I can see some people dabbing a small blob of Tipex onto the underside of their Warriors :)

I was thinking of just painting the base rims... (I already do this to designate character models so I can find them easily, anyway)

mthomason said:
msprange said:
That said, believe it or not, I think there should be more young blood in the hobby. . .

*waves walking frame* dang whippersnappers turning up with their plastic miniatures, in my day we didn't even have metal, we just used maps and cardboard counters representing entire batallions!

And you was proud of it!

msprange said:
It really isn't a kiddies game. The, umm, more mature gamer should appreciate the tactical depth of this system.

That said, believe it or not, I think there should be more young blood in the hobby. . .

Ok, first off, big props to you Matt and all the other Mongoose folks for answering questions on this thread; most game companies would have given us the first post and left us to wildly speculate with no further back up. Its much appreciated that you folks are willing to drop the time to make sure we have a clue whats going on. Thanks!

As a "more mature gamer" (I'll still call myself an old fart...) I think I'm worried about the tactical depth of a couple of pages of rules. Maybe you could clarify a bit for us since we could be misunderstanding. I think of the "quick play" rules that came with the boxed set; that page of one trooper moving towards a warrior bug, and if I remeber right, that was two pages. I'm just stuck on how you could get the depth of the game we have now and still fit it into a similar sized rule sheet.

Will the included with models be a "rules light" like that one in the starter box we have now, just enough that you can move the troops and fire, but not much else, with the rulebook itself being more like the army books and main rule book we have now? Or are we scrapping things like heroic traits entirely for the sake of simplicity?

I know you are a long way from launch, but as we players look upon a blank release schedule until next April, it would go a long way towards shutting us up if we had just a tad more information ;).

I think we (us fanboys) have two major issues; the prepainted models, which is just how its going to be and we'll either buy it or we won't, and the possability that the rules will get neutered down to lowest common denominator.

I'm not hoping you'll post a PDF of the exact plan (altho I can dream...) but an idea of just how the game will change from a rules depth perspective from a man who actually knows rather than us guessing would help alot.

My personal fear is that the game I love will turn into the same type of game I can already buy but didn't...because that wasn't the play experiance I was after.

And yes, we trust you when you say you love it...but *why*? We don't have a lot to go on, and many of us have thousands of dollars invested in the game...and I don't think we are out of line asking if we'll still be able to play the game we spent all that $$ on, or if what's planned is a diffrent *type* of game entirely.

Quark said:
So um what happens when my red and black pre-assembled warriors fight your red and black pre-assembled warriors?

I've known about this for some time, and I still haven't gotten an answer for this (which was pretty much my main concern).

If matt doesn't have a solution, you can always just make small marks or paint a little on your models to tell them apart.

Bluefool said:
As a "more mature gamer" (I'll still call myself an old fart...) I think I'm worried about the tactical depth of a couple of pages of rules. Maybe you could clarify a bit for us since we could be misunderstanding. I think of the "quick play" rules that came with the boxed set; that page of one trooper moving towards a warrior bug, and if I remeber right, that was two pages. I'm just stuck on how you could get the depth of the game we have now and still fit it into a similar sized rule sheet.

Well, it is packed in tight. :)

I have been wracking my brains, trying to think of a rule in the existing SST that is not in the rules sheet but is in the main rulebook. It took me a while - splitting shots across different Fire Zones.

That is the only one I can think of right now. Everything else is pretty much in there :)

Bluefool said:
I'm not hoping you'll post a PDF of the exact plan (altho I can dream...) but an idea of just how the game will change from a rules depth perspective from a man who actually knows rather than us guessing would help alot.

Someone suggested we print the rules sheet in S&P later this year. We think that is a great idea. . .

I do worry about the leaving it till April thing (could this be an elaborate Aprils Fool lol) as I think thats quite a long time!

Well, it IS the gaming industry after all. I wish we could gety it quicker, but it looks worth the wait.

Hey Matt, I ran across another BRILLIANT idea in one of the threads. You mentioned Campaign/ Scenario books. Part of my reluctance to get into the mini game arena was just how many of unit x would I need? Scenario books really help you plan that kind of thing out, without the research.

That brings me to the "lazy" topic. I think anyone who feels that players should paint their own minis should look at the world we live in. Between work, school, kids, there's just not the amount of free time there was when these games started. I've been painting Russians for almost a year and am just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I like to make them look really nice! That still leaves the Germans and terrain! There's no other way for me to try another genre of mini gaming. I'll be watching both closely.

Question: it's already a given the models (I'm most interested in the SST: Evo) come pre-painted, but are they pre-assembled? There has been some mention of the ability to turn them at the waist/arm joint to vary poses.

Does this mean miniatures with moving parts, or multipart pre-painted stuff to be assembled?

MaxSteiner said:
Brother Jim said:
Wow !!! There's an awful lot of screaming and crying going on here !!!

I've read the entire thread and gotta wonder...did the nay-sayers actually read the OP ???

The only thing I agree with is the long wait for this with no new stuff does not sound really good. But then I really, really miss Warzone and Chronopia. :D A lot.

Take faith fellow Warzone and Chronopiua fan, Prince August molds is selling a massive amount of existing stock gathered from all across Europe (And somehow has the molds despite them apparantly being destroyed as per Excelsiors insistance:
http://www.princeaugust.ie/

AND theres a prepainted miniature game which was announced months ago which is exactly the same in scope as this, except there are starter army kits which will contain a vehicle and troops etc:

45641a.jpg

The problem with the prepainted Warzone is that it's 36mm not 28. And as soon as i have the spare cash and Prince August puts up the minis I'm looking for...I'll have a lot less cash. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Brother Jim said:
The problem with the prepainted Warzone is that it's 36mm not 28. And as soon as i have the spare cash and Prince August puts up the minis I'm looking for...I'll have a lot less cash. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Damn... can you imagine what this forum would look like today if MGP had gone to 36mm for the new SST minis? :D

Mac V said:
Someone suggested we print the rules sheet in S&P later this year. We think that is a great idea. . .

Today would be better. With more pics. :wink:

The basic rules seem to be pretty much finished, am I correct?
If so, don't wait for a future S&P, but put them on the website as soon as you can. When people can see and play using these rules, and they're as good as you claim, a lot of the doubts would go away.
Then it is a question of whether you like prepainted or not. I still have tons waiting to be assembled and painted, and I will still buy some more stuff. I need a brain bug and would love some exosuits.

When it comes to SST in Belgium, I know hardly anyone who plays it. But the best way to promote it is by playing it in your local club. My friend and I have been getting quite a few questions lately and one or two guys seem really interested.
And if we can get them playing with the SSTE core rules we would have more players to spread the word. And by then BE should be getting ready for release...

Im guessing they come pre-built. Same models, but all built differently.

I hope these don't put Adrian out of business.

Back