Star Fleet Rulebook PDF

I'd anticipate it before the end of human civilisation, so within this geological era.

These people stocking up on torch batteries to read it after the heat death of the universe are making unnecessary purchases.

Personally I think it's a Romulan plot. The PDF is already available, but cloaked and now scouts cannot illuminate we are all SoL :mrgreen:
Dan

Cool I can reference it on my tablet, and having it updated when need be is a bonus also. I finally got my hard copy and have been reading it on and off to figure out how the system plays out.

Sorry Matt if I'm a little less than impressed. I may believe it were coming has you not already said it was almost done here....

msprange said:
All the bits and pieces have come back to us now, and we just need to put everything together. We are going to try to get it done tomorrow, more likely Monday, a quick look over by ADB, and then we will be up and running!

And here...

msprange said:
JohnDW said:
Any news on this?
Should be hearing back later today or tomorrow, I believe!

Oh yeah my personal favorite, I guess it was like the or so part...

msprange said:
We are basically all good to go, just need to do some donkey work - first the reference cards, then the pocket book for the Kzinti and Gorn fleet sets, and finally the core book as a PDF.

Likely a week or so, give or take.

And again....

msprange said:
The last checks are being carried out right now - should not be too long now.

So sorry if I'm not all giddy with optimism!

My group has unfortunately given up and moved to Star Fleet or back to Full Thrust. I had hoped to show the game at the annual game convention locally but SF will be shown by a different group instead as the organizers were of the opinion NA was no longer supported. I think I may be selling and joining them. I was down at the game store and looked at the fleets they had and couldn't help but notice the thick layer of dust on the boxes. At least with SF there's new resources coming fairly regularly. I would rather play an active game than beat a dead horse. Good Luck and enjoy NA, it really is a neat little game.

They shouldn't had said they were going to put out a free pdf of the rule book and not do it or delay it. It would have been better if they waited without telling us the players and then surprize us all and say, "hey guys and gals here is a free pdf of the rules if you bought them, thanks for your support. All they have done is make people disappointed with the process. I myself think it would be a nice thing to have, but haven't been put off by it... yet. =p

Now the captains log disappoints me, wish that was a pdf that I could buy. Really a text only doctument not sold as a pdf, really?

Dihenydd said:
My group has unfortunately given up and moved to Star Fleet or back to Full Thrust. I had hoped to show the game at the annual game convention locally but SF will be shown by a different group instead as the organizers were of the opinion NA was no longer supported. I think I may be selling and joining them. I was down at the game store and looked at the fleets they had and couldn't help but notice the thick layer of dust on the boxes. At least with SF there's new resources coming fairly regularly. I would rather play an active game than beat a dead horse. Good Luck and enjoy NA, it really is a neat little game.

The NA expansion book is waiting on photos of new minis and I think Matt has almost all of the prototypes/models with the painter now.

Ben2 said:
The NA expansion book is waiting on photos of new minis and I think Matt has almost all of the prototypes/models with the painter now.

The first of which will be going on sale tomorrow...

msprange said:
Ben2 said:

The first of which will be going on sale tomorrow...

Not sure if this is in right topic, but I was hoping this was news about the Star Fleet Rule book and not NA expansion. :cry:

I spent the weekend at Gencon working with/for Matt and the crew.

We had tons of ACTA:NA squadron boxes as well as the rule book - sold plenty of both and they were sitting right next to the ACTA:SF which means they had a prime location.

I can't speak specifically as to why one store would have any product covered in dust but here are some of the many reasons I've come across over the last 30+ years:
- Staff too lazy to ever dust or wipe down anything
- Store bought way too much stock for the market and putting a small discount on excess to move it is seen as "throwing away money"
- You didn't mention rulebooks. Who wants to buy a game they can't even see a rule book of first.
- Placement in the store. Is the stock of this game more up in prime space where most people see it, or in some back corner where hardly anyone goes.
- Store Staff, knowledge skill and personality. A staff that knows nothing about a product, doesn't care to know nothing about a product, couldn't sell a hot-juicy steak to a hungry pit bull, or are so obnoxious no one in their right mind would ever listen to a sales pitch means stuff doesn't sell.

Ok that's the short list, and it comes from having gone into game stores all across the U.S. and at conventions shopping to buy something new or that piece to a collection - and instead left with my money in my pocket (rather my credit card maintaining the balance it had when I walked in).

The PDF is tied to a fully complete errata, that errata is linked with a fully complete set of the ship cards. I think both are tied to the revised small rules that are to go in the Kzinti Fleet Box. Everything has to be signed off both by Mongoose and ADB in at least two points of production, initial draft and final proof.

Somewhere in there lies the rub.

Or has been said earlier, stock up on batteries as the sun will go dark in a few billion years and you'll have to read the pdf in the dark. :p

lokidan said:
All very interesting but 4 months from the original announcement and still no sign of the PDF.

Indeed. I have at this point lost all interest in this as an alternative space combat game. Wish I hadn't actually spent money on the Klingons I picked up a bit ago.

Anyone interested in a Klingon Squadron box for $25 + postage? One ship is assembled, but all are new, unpainted and unbased. PM me if interested.

Cheers, Gary

Wow, the game was fantastic and fun for quite a while but, just because a pdf version people are expecting for free and as an addition to their hardcopy doesn't come out fast, we suddenly hear people wailing the game was never any good and they 'lost interest'. Really, this is sour grapes for not getting a freebie.

I bought the game. I love the game. I would love a pdf version to suppliment my hardcopy and I'm willing to wait. For once people show some gratitude rather than this modern selfish entitlement mentality. Play the game and be happy. When the product arrives, be happier.

Think most of us agree with your comment, it's just that Mongoose would be better saying it's coming, and then shutting up until it arrives (Past history in this area has not been great).

I play, have played and will continue playing this game, and have converted several friend to it (I have a history of liking Mongoose system, starting with 'Starship Troopers', though B:Evo and ActA:B5 - so have some knowledge of that which i speak)

But i the End, it's a great game - Play it with the rules you have :evil:

Reynard said:
Wow, the game was fantastic and fun for quite a while but, just because a pdf version people are expecting for free and as an addition to their hardcopy doesn't come out fast, we suddenly hear people wailing the game was never any good and they 'lost interest'. Really, this is sour grapes for not getting a freebie.

I bought the game. I love the game. I would love a pdf version to suppliment my hardcopy and I'm willing to wait. For once people show some gratitude rather than this modern selfish entitlement mentality. Play the game and be happy. When the product arrives, be happier.

people haven't said the game is no good, they are a bit miffed that a pdf they were told would be out what, 6 months back, still hasn't arrived. if you were waiting to get the new ford XXX and the dealer kept saying it will be here next week, next month, tomorow, and it never arrived, i doubt you'd think well thats ok, i'll keep on waiting. it's just broken promises, if mongoose had said, it will be here one day, and left it at that, no one would complain. also some of us don't want a freebie, we want the rules period, in a pdf format i can pay for and download to the tab like most of my other rulebooks, no room for real books any more :-(

H said:
Reynard said:

people haven't said the game is no good, they are a bit miffed that a pdf they were told would be out what, 6 months back, still hasn't arrived. if you were waiting to get the new ford XXX and the dealer kept saying it will be here next week, next month, tomorow, and it never arrived, i doubt you'd think well thats ok, i'll keep on waiting. it's just broken promises, if mongoose had said, it will be here one day, and left it at that, no one would complain. also some of us don't want a freebie, we want the rules period, in a pdf format i can pay for and download to the tab like most of my other rulebooks, no room for real books any more :-(

This game is HUGE! There have been a lot of problems with implementation, and service. Some of us have not received the stellar service that others arte accustomed to. But, not going to quit playing the game because of a few gliches. If I can't get 2500's I use 2400's, and fortunately there are these forums to clear up rules questions.

First I don't think anyone wants a freebie! :oops: But there have been enough rules additions and alterations and clarifications, that I think most would like what they paid for - a complete set of correct rules. That is not unreasonable, I want the PDF, but if I don't ever get it, I'm certainly not going to stop playing. 8)

We all ask ourselves what we would do differently if we were in Matthew's shoes. I know what I would do, but since I'm not in those shoes it doesn't matter. I can tell you this, when I place my next order from Mongoose, I will ask for it to be shipped from England across the pond, I'll get that in about 4-5 days. Dayton which I can get mail delivered to in two days( I can drive there in 5 hours), for some reason can't seem to get the mail to ship anything for them in less than weeks (yeah, like the problem is with the mail). Hmmmm, stuff ships from Amarillo, TX in 2-3 days, the mail works from there. Too bad ADB never has quite enough stock to get what you need.

Sorry, I digressed there, but the point is I think everyone here ins a little bitter about this in one way or another. It is just a game, and a very good game. Despite the grumbling and problems, I'm in for the long haul. By the way, Matthew and staff at Mongoose in England are all great and take care of their customers. My complaints all come down to the Dayton facility. I have no complaints with the game, and not complaints directly with Mongoose.

Back